• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Deidre Pujols, wife of Albert, announces **then unannounces**on Instagram that 2021 will the be the final year of his career

rafibomb

33 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Id say they should get john goodman to play him in the movie, like he did babe ruth, but goodman lost too much weight to pull it off.

No kidding.  I happened to see about five minutes of "The Connors" and I barely recognized him.  He actually looked horrible, IMO.

• 2 years later...
On 2/23/2021 at 5:55 PM, Angelsjunky said:

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where anyone would actually offer him a contract for 2022. I suppose the only possibility is the Cardinals offering him a symbolic 1 year deal, but am not sure he'd accept what they'd be willing to pay him. And doesn't the service contract preclude that?

As I've said before, we're seeing something relatively new to baseball with players like Pujols, Cabrera, Votto, and Chris Davis. Their mega-contracts keep them playing beyond the point where they would have normally retired, in eras before the last 20-30 years. There have been long, even ten-year, contracts for over 40 years now -- the first being Wayne Garland, a reliever for the Indians who signed for 10/$2.3M for 1977-86. But today that would be equivalent to 10/$10M. Even Winfield's 10/$23M contract for 1981-90 equates only to 10/$66M now. Meaning, even including inflation, the top free agent contracts are about five times what they were 40 years ago (I'm guessing that a 29-year old Dave Winfield would sign for something like 10/$300M now).

Pujols was done as an elite player even before he became an Angel, and done as a solid, starting-caliber player after 2015, 2016 if we're charitable and ignore advanced metrics. In 20th century baseball, he would have retired after 2016, maybe 2017 if he wanted to give it one more go. Similarly with Cabrera: 2017 "should" have been his last year, and Votto is reaching the end of the line too. But in today's era, we get to watch formerly great players perform like replacement players, or even worse in Albert's case.

Chris Davis is in another category. He's been one of the worst major league regulars in baseball history over the last three years, with -5.1 WAR in 249 games. And the Orioles still owe him 2/$46M.

Albert ended up with an .895 OPS after signing that symbolic contract. 

15 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Albert ended up with an .895 OPS after signing that symbolic contract. 

Well, that came out of nowhere. Albert had an .895 OPS because of very selective platooning - which is what the Angels should have done years ago, but couldn't get past Mang's ego (plus, let's face it, the minor league depth wasn't there to push him aside). It was also a bit flukey, I think. The Cardinals are a very smart org. The Angels are not.

39 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well, that came out of nowhere. Albert had an .895 OPS because of very selective platooning - which is what the Angels should have done years ago, but couldn't get past Mang's ego (plus, let's face it, the minor league depth wasn't there to push him aside). It was also a bit flukey, I think. The Cardinals are a very smart org. The Angels are not.

Selective platooning + giving a shit

Arguably he cared more about hitting hrs with STL.  his launch angle went up and his GB% was down.  Interestingly, there was little change to his swing rates on balls in or out of the zone but his BB rate increased a fair amount.  He also had a march higher hard hit rate.  Maybe he connected with one of his previous 'trainers'.