• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Deidre Pujols, wife of Albert, announces **then unannounces**on Instagram that 2021 will the be the final year of his career

rafibomb

5 minutes ago, JAHV76 said:

Doesn’t his 10 year community service contract kick-in after his playing contract is finished?

I think it kicks in when he retires, but the assumption was he wasn't gonna play anywhere else afterward. It's sorta a legacy deal. People suggesting he get traded back to or sign a contract with the Cards don't get it. Arte wanted Pujols and his legacy to be tied to the Angels. I imagine he expected the career in Anaheim to be a little bit less underwhelming, though. 

6 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

I think it kicks in when he retires, but the assumption was he wasn't gonna play anywhere else afterward. It's sorta a legacy deal. People suggesting he get traded back to or sign a contract with the Cards don't get it. Arte wanted Pujols and his legacy to be tied to the Angels. I imagine he expected the career in Anaheim to be a little bit less underwhelming, though. 

I think the personal services contract prohibits his wearing a STL cap until 2032.  So unless he opts out if that 10 mil.  Would be hilarious if after playing out his contract he opts out of his PS contract.

8 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

I have two fond memories of Pujols. 

1. Firing arrows with Trout

2. Mugging on Puig

For me it’s those two, plus June of 2015, when he hit 13 HR and had an OPS of 1.132. 

It is frustrating that we only got to see one month like that, but it was still tremendously fun to watch at the time. 

Clearly this has been discussed in that house. My guess is she’s been wanting him to retire for a while. 

diedra: Albert you aren’t doing well

albert: 30 million dollars

diedra: you’re right. Let’s work on an extension and say you’re going for 700.

albert: that’s right mang 

15 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Unlike many here. I don’t hate AP. I am disappointed in the lack of production from him over his contract, but I don’t hate the guy at all.

I don’t either, but I think it is safe to say he secured his contract through false pretenses (his false claims as to his age and/or his prior PED use), and has refused to do the honorable thing of stepping away from said fraudulently induced contract when it became apparent, five years ago, that he no longer has the skills to be playing professional baseball. When viewed this way, he becomes less likable. 

4 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I can do both.  He's never seemed likeable to me, and he's been a frigging anchor on this franchise since day one.

Anchor is well put.  The roster has been awkward ever since we signed him.  We had Kendrys Morales and Trumbo (remember trying to play him at 3rd?) so that gave us 3 first basemen.  We've had to carry an extra guy ever since because he was never the expected mainstay at first.  The worst contract in MLB history?  However, I'd love to see a match race between him and Benjie Molina.  These are the only two guys that don't even make it onto your TV screen when grounding out to first.  Given a time machine, I'd give Adrian Beltre whatever he asked for and thus avoid the entire chain of bad signings that followed.

46 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Clearly this has been discussed in that house. My guess is she’s been wanting him to retire for a while. 

diedra: Albert you aren’t doing well

albert: 30 million dollars

diedra: you’re right. Let’s work on an extension and say you’re going for 700.

albert: that’s right mang 

This made me lol, only because of the thought of Albert also referring to his wife as mang.

11 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Unfortunately his OBP for his Angels career (.312), makes GA look like Kevin Youkilis.  The last 6 years his OBP is .301.

As a Cardinal his OBP was .420.

This is what I don't get about Pujols @Inside Pitch

I totally understand a player showing less power numbers or batting average as they age, but the walk rate and plate discipline drop really boggles my mind. 

Maybe he was trying too hard when he first got here, his first month in an Angels uniform wasn't a great first impression...but hell you'd think he'd settle into the player he has always been eventually. 

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

This is what I don't get about Pujols @Inside Pitch

I totally understand a player showing less power numbers or batting average as they age, but the walk rate and plate discipline drop really boggles my mind. 

Maybe he was trying too hard when he first got here, his first month in an Angels uniform wasn't a great first impression...but hell you'd think he'd settle into the player he has always been eventually. 

I remember seeing discussion on this during his first few seasons here. I believe it has something to do with bat speed. As his bat speed slows down, he has trouble catching up to pitches that he would have fouled off in his 20s. So he doesn't put together longer at bats, and doesn't get as many opportunities to wait on "his pitch."

6 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I remember seeing discussion on this during his first few seasons here. I believe it has something to do with bat speed. As his bat speed slows down, he has trouble catching up to pitches that he would have fouled off in his 20s. So he doesn't put together longer at bats, and doesn't get as many opportunities to wait on "his pitch."

That makes sense. 

Man I always hoped that Pujols would age like fine wine into an Edgar Martinez type DH. Great BA and OBP, declining power numbers. 

Oh well. Maybe Pujols really is 55 or 60 years old.