Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! We're Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

  • AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

Taylor Ward at camp as a catcher


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe they are just getting him reps to be the emergency third catcher?  We have one catcher coming off injury, and another that's just old.  Also, the more positions he can fill in at, the more valua

Could be. Or maybe since we only have Suzuki on a 1-year deal Taylor Ward spends a majority of the 2021 season in AAA exclusively as a catcher? 

Taylor Ward is a 27 year old utility player.  He's not going to be what some of you want him to be.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Why is this a thread

It's actually a big deal when a prospect, Orr in this case a major league player, makes a drastic position change. We had a thread when Jam Jones moved to 2B, and another one when Thaiss was thrown into the mix at 2B, and another when Ohtani started getting work in the outfield. I also think there was one when Marsh got reps at 1B.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It's actually a big deal when a prospect, Orr in this case a major league player, makes a drastic position change. We had a thread when Jam Jones moved to 2B, and another one when Thaiss was thrown into the mix at 2B, and another when Ohtani started getting work in the outfield. I also think there was one when Marsh got reps at 1B.

True but him being a catcher has always been in our minds. It's not some crazy new thing for him. 

Also, having Marsh at first base gets him in the lineup but his arm/glove/athleticism would be missed in that outfield. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Why is this a thread

Because for a catching-poor organization, there is value in seeing some internal options being converted to catching and potentially strengthening a weakness.

Ward learning to catch, and potentially providing another option at a position where we have few, is a significant development.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it wasn’t about his ability to catch and throw and maybe it was the relationship he had with pitchers, which is what I seem to remember it being.  If that was the case, then it’s entirely possible he’s matured to the point of being able to handle a staff. Don’t know until you try. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hilarious that anyone would think this is a bad thing. I've been on this train for years. Eppler's frame of reference was about Ward being THE man at catcher. No, defensively he cannot be that guy. But why not allow him to continue getting work there? He's not going to have a spot in the outfield after this year. Teams have also asked the Angels about Ward's catching abilities, being interested in trading for him if he were to have that option. It also does make him more valuable to include in a trade as an additional piece. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

It's hilarious that anyone would think this is a bad thing. I've been on this train for years. Eppler's frame of reference was about Ward being THE man at catcher. No, defensively he cannot be that guy. But why not allow him to continue getting work there? He's not going to have a spot in the outfield after this year. Teams have also asked the Angels about Ward's catching abilities, being interested in trading for him if he were to have that option. It also does make him more valuable to include in a trade as an additional piece. 

Ward was rumored to be in that Dodger trade last year, too.  Given how the Dodgers think, I imagine they were probably looking at him as a catching option, given how much they invest into it.  There is no harm in trying to help Ward increase his value.  I'm sure he's happy to have the chance to catch again, as it can only help his career.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beginning of Spring Training they usually have every catcher in the Org to be there early to help Pitchers get their throwing in. Including Ward in that makes sense, because it helps him prepare in case they need him to catch if warranted by injuries. Nice to have guys with a lot of versatility. He can play 5 positions defensively. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Beginning of Spring Training they usually have every catcher in the Org to be there early to help Pitchers get their throwing in. Including Ward in that makes sense, because it helps him prepare in case they need him to catch if warranted by injuries. Nice to have guys with a lot of versatility. He can play 5 positions defensively. 

It is nice to have a guy that sucks defensively at 5 positions?

OK.

Hey don’t forget Pujols can play 1B, 3B, and LF.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see much of a potential downside. Gives Ward added positional flexibility. Best case, maybe he takes to it and does well without losing his current level of hitting ability (that would be a definite win, imo). Worst case, it just screws him up and he not only washes out as catcher but he forgets how to hit. He isn't valuable enough for me to be overly concerned about the worst case. Most probable scenarios are either it doesn't work out or, ideally, he's good enough there to play now and then (at least on an emergency level) if needed, essentially functioning as a third catcher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

I don't see much of a potential downside. Gives Ward added positional flexibility. Best case, maybe he takes to it and does well without losing his current level of hitting ability (that would be a definite win, imo). Worst case, it just screws him up and he not only washes out as catcher but he forgets how to hit. He isn't valuable enough for me to be overly concerned about the worst case. Most probable scenarios are either it doesn't work out or, ideally, he's good enough there to play now and then (at least on an emergency level) if needed, essentially functioning as a third catcher.

Might also give Maddon more pinch hitting possibilities with Stassi and Suzuki.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

It is nice to have a guy that sucks defensively at 5 positions?

OK.

Hey don’t forget Pujols can play 1B, 3B, and LF.

Considering he is new to 4 of those 5 positions he has done ok. He won't win a gold glove , but then again he isn't Upton.  Pujols can barely play one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...