• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pujols' "Personal Services Contract"

Capital_Dave

I've been thinking recently about Pujols' "personal services contract" which most of you know binds him to the Angels for 10 years at $1M per year after he retires.  During that period of time, according to this article, Pujols cannot associate himself in any way with the Cardinals.  

Have the Angels ever specified what services Pujols will provide?  Will he be a roving hitting instructor?  Minor league mentor?  Motivational speaker at Spring Training?  Meet and greets at Angel Stadium?  Bullpen catcher (if the Angels are feeling at all spiteful)?

It's kind of ironic: he's been so overpaid for so long... but if he is held to this contract and especially if he goes into some kind of coaching role, he actually may be underpaid or at least the contract may be inconvenient for him, particularly if he wants to move back to St. Louis or retire elsewhere.  

Wouldn't it be the height of irony if he asks the Angels to release him?

Pujols and Zimmerman are the last of the personal services contracts. Pujols the PS contract and the milestones payouts are largely luxury tax loopholes but also lends the Angels the ability to lay claim to some residual prestige even though a Cardinal cap will be going into the HOF.  Creative financing at the time but now obvious it was for the wrong player.  Man, Arte was smitten with this guy.

5 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

I've been thinking recently about Pujols' "personal services contract" which most of you know binds him to the Angels for 10 years at $1M per year after he retires.  During that period of time, according to this article, Pujols cannot associate himself in any way with the Cardinals.  

Have the Angels ever specified what services Pujols will provide?

Posing for a HoF plaque?

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Why?

I'm just tired of him at this point.  I know it doesn't make much sense, but I'd rather just not associate him with the team anymore.  It's not like there are a ton of good memories or great wins that I think of when I think of him.  He just reminds me of bad decisions. 

8 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm just tired of him at this point.  I know it doesn't make much sense, but I'd rather just not associate him with the team anymore.  It's not like there are a ton of good memories or great wins that I think of when I think of him.  He just reminds me of bad decisions. 

I feel the same way......he has become the ex-wife you never want to see again.

Do you know why divorces are so expensive?

Because they are worth it.

Albert will not ask to be let go of his PS contract. If wanted to go back to SL, they would probably pay him about $100 grand.  I think he will be used mostly in a PR  mode, and to help coach players in spring. I could also see him doing commentary with Mota on Spanish radio.  The team might just take a wait & see approach to see where he fits in best and what he likes doing best.

1 hour ago, greginpsca said:

Albert will not ask to be let go of his PS contract. If wanted to go back to SL, they would probably pay him about $100 grand.  I think he will be used mostly in a PR  mode, and to help coach players in spring. I could also see him doing commentary with Mota on Spanish radio.  The team might just take a wait & see approach to see where he fits in best and what he likes doing best.

he's going to do nothing for that money. it was just a way of getting him more money off the luxury tax books. that's the whole reason mlb put the nix on those contracts.