• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fernando Tatis signs massive extension (14 years, $340 million)

mmc

24 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Not towards you IP.  Just a general, regarding insurance.  This goes through it pretty well.  

Worried about your ace’s $100 million arm? There is insurance for that.

So in Tatis's situation, position, age and injury free history probably makes insurance a very good possibility.  

All info, is good info.  TY for sharing.   And I agree they should have an easy go getting insurance.  The rates they are quoting here are a lot lower than what I have previously seen but I'm sure it varies player to player and the dollars being insured.   Again, TY for sharing.

16 hours ago, Brandon said:

That is for the team component. Mahomes also got insurance (not as verified as the team insurance) for the non-guaranteed portions not tied to performance escalators.

Regardless, the point is insurance companies do indeed insure. From celebs like Jennifer Lopez's ass to weird business deals.

He is potentially a once in a generation QB with the passing and the rushing. 

1 hour ago, ScottT said:

Such a stupid take. Whats bad for baseball, and the nba, is super teams, and lack of random competitiveness. 

When all the good guys go to the same 6 or 7 teams, it waters down the regular season, IMO.

Im all for FA, and am not against the big dog teams spending money. But anyone suggesting a home grown player staying long term with his team that isnt from NY or LA is an idiot.

Guys like Bonds and Griffey seemed to be great for baseball while in the old giants and forever mariners situations. 

55 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Tatis hasn't even played 2 full years. Puig had a better WAR in his first 2 seasons. Imagine the Dodgers signing him to his same extension. I don't understand this at all.

Tatis put up monster numbers his first two seasons, and was always near the top of prospect rankings.

Puig is not a good player comp.

This said, it is admittedly a ton of dollars for someone in his early 20s.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I have seen no mention of any opt-out opportunities for FTJr. before the deal expires at the end of the 2034 season. But he is a grownup and so are his agent and the Padres management. So I congratulate him and presume he'll be happy for years to come.

Fun fact: MLB's final observance of Bobby Bonilla Day will be July 1, 2035, during the season after Tatis is a free agent.

4 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

I have seen no mention of any opt-out opportunities for FTJr. before the deal expires at the end of the 2034 season. But he is a grownup and so are his agent and the Padres management. So I congratulate him and presume he'll be happy for years to come.

Fun fact: MLB's final observance of Bobby Bonilla Day will be July 1, 2035, during the season after Tatis is a free agent.

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that there are no opt-outs and that there is also a full no-trade clause.

6 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

Lol.  I thought you were joking.  But dang.  It really is July 1, 2035.  $1.19 million.  

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/nl-west/san-diego-padres/

Fernando Tatis Jr. ss
14 years/$340M (2021-34)

• 14 years/$340M (2021-34)
    • signed extension with San Diego 2/22/21
    • $10M signing bonus
    • 21:$1M, 22:$5M, 23:$7M, 24:$11M, 25:$20M, 26:$20M, 27:$25M, 28:$25M, 29-36:$36M annually
    • full no-trade protection
    • at signing, third-most lucrative contract and longest contract in baseball history
    • highest ever average annual value paid to a shortstop or to a player with two years of Major League service time

Cot's doesn't show anything about any opt outs.  I think they listed it wrong, and it should be 29-34.  Tail end is heavy for the last 6 years at $36 million.  But that's 8 years from now, and with how salaries have been going, might be a bargain when the time comes.

30 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Apparently, Tatis will signed of those future salary investment deals... like Andrew Heaney did.  

The investment firm will get $27 million 

From what I heard, it isn't an investment firm, but one of those Dominican discovery camps.  

Scratch that, you are right.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fernando-tatis-jr-padres-340-million-minor-league-deal-mlb-000100819.html 

Edited by gotbeer