• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fernando Tatis signs massive extension (14 years, $340 million)

mmc

5 minutes ago, Capital_Dave said:

Hasn't even played a full 162 games yet.

Talk about high risk, high reward.  

Preller's got balls, I'll give him that.

Sometimes you got to roll the dice.  Thinking back, this deal reminds me of this one.  Different time, 2008 vs now.  But that was one heck of a deal for the Rays. And one big gamble also.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=3353025 

20 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Sometimes you got to roll the dice.  Thinking back, this deal reminds me of this one.  Different time, 2008 vs now.  But that was one heck of a deal for the Rays. And one big gamble also.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=3353025 

I remember that.  Worked out very well for the Rays as he was one of the best 3rd baseman during that contract.  Here's an example where it didn't work.  https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/astros-remove-jon-singleton-from-40-man-roster-three-years-after-unprecedented-deal/

If I was Tatis I would snap accept it, but at the same time would've taken a little less money for opt outs after years 6, 8, and 10.  Hard to say no to that type of money. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

"Patrick Mahomes is guaranteed $141 million of his contract by the start of the 2022 NFL season. Of the rest, he may only be able to get insurance on approximately $100 million."

That is for the team component. Mahomes also got insurance (not as verified as the team insurance) for the non-guaranteed portions not tied to performance escalators.

Regardless, the point is insurance companies do indeed insure. From celebs like Jennifer Lopez's ass to weird business deals.

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

That is for the team component. Mahomes also got insurance (not as verified as the team insurance) for the non-guaranteed portions not tied to performance escalators.

Regardless, the point is insurance companies do indeed insure. From celebs like Jennifer Lopez's ass to weird business deals.

Link?

Yes, i know they do. I once insured a dancer's legs for $5 million.

I think it's officially time to consider San Diego a large market team. Hosmer, Machado, Tatis, Myers, Darvish, Pomeranz...

And here's the kicker, even after the trades, they've got a very strong farm system. 

And unlike the Angels, they have upside pitching in spades...Darvish, Snell, Lamet, Musgrove, Paddack, Clevinger, Weathers, Morejon, and Gore. 

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think it's officially time to consider San Diego a large market team. Hosmer, Machado, Tatis, Myers, Darvish, Pomeranz...

And here's the kicker, even after the trades, they've got a very strong farm system. 

And unlike the Angels, they have upside pitching in spades...Darvish, Snell, Lamet, Musgrove, Paddack, Clevinger, Weathers, Morejon, and Gore. 

I really hope the pads are legit this time. Not just because i hate the dodgers so much, but because i hate the dodgers so much.

But also just to give that dodger juggernaut an actual rival.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

They do but the coverage tends to be in three-four year blocks.  Also, it can be anywhere from 10% to 20% of the total yearly salary depending on how much they want to insure, typically between 50-80%.

Tat is a nice contract.  Win-win for player and team.

I don't think the Padres are a big market team, but this goes to show owners have money to spend, if they want to.  Every owner has the money to spend.

Edited by T.G.

5 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I really hope the pads are legit this time. Not just because i hate the dodgers so much, but because i hate the dodgers so much.

But also just to give that dodger juggernaut an actual rival.

Judging by their performance last year, and the strength of their farm, I'd say at minimum, the Padres are legit for the next five years. 

I can't say whether they'll pass LA, because the Dodgers homegrown talent alone would make them a playoff team.

Seriously, Gavin Lux, Dustin May, Tony Gonsolin and Josiah Gray could likely all be MLB all-stars right now, and they're all ticketed for AAA.

And if for some reason, the Dodgers don't have a homegrown answer, they can simply write a blank check to acquire whatever talent they want. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

They do but the coverage tends to be in three-four year blocks.  Also, it can be anywhere from 10% to 20% of the total yearly salary depending on how much they want to insure, typically between 50-80%.

Not towards you IP.  Just a general, regarding insurance.  This goes through it pretty well.  

Worried about your ace’s $100 million arm? There is insurance for that.

So in Tatis's situation, position, age and injury free history probably makes insurance a very good possibility.