• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fernando Tatis signs massive extension (14 years, $340 million)

mmc

• mmc changed the title to Fernando Tatis signs massive extension (14 years, $340 million)
12 minutes ago, mmc said:

Why?  Seems like a good deal for both parties to me.  Tatis is still only 22 so it's not like he'll be outrageously old once this deal ends.

Because he is an athlete and one torn achilles from not completing the contract. Ownership of these franchises have lost risk acknowledgement. 

Just now, Lou said:

Owners aren't going to spend money this off-season.

I honestly thought we were going to see more reasonable signings and we have, but elite guys are going to get paid elite money.  Bauer didn’t get $200-300 million, he got 2 years and $85 million, which if he sucks or is injured will be 3 years and $102 million.  JT Realmuto didn’t get $175-200 million.  The guys that might have gotten overpaid are a catcher that got $40 million for 4 years, and a pitcher or two that got one year and $10-12 million.  

22 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Because he is an athlete and one torn achilles from not completing the contract. Ownership of these franchises have lost risk acknowledgement. 

Sure, but if they wait any longer, he’ll likely get even more money.  And if they aren’t willing to do this type of deal, they’ll lose him in free agency to a team who will.

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I honestly thought we were going to see more reasonable signings and we have, but elite guys are going to get paid elite money.  Bauer didn’t get $200-300 million, he got 2 years and $85 million, which if he sucks or is injured will be 3 years and $102 million.  JT Realmuto didn’t get $175-200 million.  The guys that might have gotten overpaid are a catcher that got $40 million for 4 years, and a pitcher or two that got one year and $10-12 million.  

MLBTR predicted Realmuto would get 5/$115.5  

He got 5/$125

Pretty close. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Is this deal bad for baseball? 

lol 

I would have no problem if baseball did something like what Basketball did with contract limits, but I don’t think we will ever see that.  I don’t have a problem with this contract.  If the Angels had a Tatis type of player this is exactly what I would want them to do.  I’d be happy if they found a way to pay for Fletcher for 6-7 years on the cheap.  If Marsh or Adell come up and kill it, I want them locked down through a few years of free agency.  But we shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that a 22 year old with less than a full season’s worth of games just got 14 years and $340 million.  Wow.  

This is also buying out 4 years of club control.  So it's an extra 10 years.  He just turned 22, so it's to his 36 year.  

This is also similar to the Trout deal where the Angels bought out 2 years of a remaining contract/club control, and added an additional 10 years.  

It's also nice to see the Padres spend to keep their talent for once.