• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who do you got? Darin Erstad or Garret Anderson

Michifan

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I know. Which is why I said "career-wise." 

Anyhow, drafted by Angels/career Angels fWAR, games or games started:

1. 75.7 Trout, 1252 games
  2. 46.0 Finley, 379 GS
  3. 35.4 Salmon, 1672 games
  4. 34.5 Witt, 272 GS
  5. 31.4 Weaver, 322 GS
  6. 30.4 Tanana, 218 GS
  7. 27.6 Erstad, 1320 games
  8. 27.1 Lackey, 233 GS
  9. 26.3 Anderson, 2013 games
  10. 23.1 Kendrick, 1081 games
  11. 22.2 Figgins, 936 games
  12. 20.7 Glaus, 827 games

I think there's an argument that Kendrick, Figgins, and Glaus deserve to be ranked over Anderson. They put up only a bit less value and in about half or less games played. Witt also hasn't gotten any love.

I am sorry, but I have become convinced that WAR is a BS stat.

There is no way you can convince me Figgins and Kendrick were better players for the Angel's that Anderson.

Edited by stormngt

7 hours ago, Michifan said:

61IoPf4QHAL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Bollinger has a top five homegrown players article. He gives his top five that were drafted by the club and then played for them. I like the top five overall but wonder about his #4. He has Erstad, and it's hard to overlook Erstad's defense and his couple of really good years. But he neglects Garret Anderson. I think it's a tough call. Weave as #5 makes sense so that you have two pitchers-Finley and Weave. 

So I'm curious to what others think for #4 Erstad and his gold gloves and one phenomenal season or Anderson's stead contributions over his career. According to Wikipedia, "He holds Angels franchise records for career games played (2,013), at bats (7,989), hits (2,368), runs scored (1,024), runs batted in (RBI) (1,292), total bases (3,743), extra base hits (796), singles (1,572), doubles (489), grand slams (8), RBI in a single game (10) and consecutive games with an RBI (12)" That's pretty impressive. 

I guess it's like asking which child you like most. Maybe it needed to be a tie and have six actual listed. 

Bollinger bollixed that list. No way does Erstad come before GA. I'm a bit embarrassed for him.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Career OPS+ of 119 .vs 102  
Career bWAR of 38.1 .vs 25.7   
Career fWAR of 34.3 .vs 24.0

The sky is blue on my planet -- what's it like on yours?

I was looking at Glaus' stats and I liken this to when Canseco won the ROY over Joyner. Oh, I was steamed about that. But the voters felt Canseco was best because his power numbers were better.

I think Erstad and Anderson is a closer comparison then Salmon and Anderson. 

Offensive WAR is legit.  Defense less so, but definitely passes the eye test in the long run. 

I think the strictly WAR comparisons for different types of players...  are sketchy.  

22 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I am sorry, but I have become convinced that WAR is a BS stat.

There is no way you cam convince me Figgins and Kendrick were better players for the Angel's that Anderson.

That's good, because Anderson is ranked higher than them.

You might be surprised to hear that Kendrick had a higher career OPS+ than GA.

I think people remember GA so fondly because of his health and longevity (which is very important, don't get me wrong). But other than that? He played average defense at best in left field, and had a career .327 OBP with the Angels. 

He was a very good pure hit guy, but that's it. He didn't steal bases, didn't have great power, and didn't get on base.

I love Garret, he's one of my all time favorite Angels, but when you take feelings out of the matter, you realize he really wasn't that great.

7 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I was looking at Glaus' stats and I liken this to when Canseco won the ROY over Joyner. Oh, I was steamed about that. But the voters felt Canseco was best because his power numbers were better.

Funny, because it wasn't the power that made the difference for me, it was the ability to get on base and avoid making outs.  

Glaus' career OBP of .358 is better than anything Anderson did in any one season.  Like GA, his defense was underrated.   The only thing Anderson had on Glaus was longevity.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

You're massively under rating Devo.  Its just unfortunate for us that his best play came after they traded him.  Big knock on him from me is that he was primarily a leadoff guy who wasn't that good at getting on base.  But good lord could he defend and run the bases.

He had the ability to go get the ball with those long strides.  We have had some GREAT defensive centerfielders.  Hell Trout is barely top 5 defensively for CFers.  I would go Erstad, Edmonds, Pettis, Devo and Bourjos are all better defensively than Trout.  

1 hour ago, ScottT said:

I think Erstad and Anderson is a closer comparison then Salmon and Anderson. 

Offensive WAR is legit.  Defense less so, but definitely passes the eye test in the long run. 

I think the strictly WAR comparisons for different types of players...  are sketchy.  

I also disagree with this. I mean, I love Erstad, who doesn't, but I think Salmon and Anderson are very close stats-wise.