• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who do you got? Darin Erstad or Garret Anderson

Michifan

1 hour ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

I also like Erstad too because when I was 9 I sent all the Angels on the team at that time mail to have them send me a signed card. Only Erstad and Percival sent me something back, so I thought that was pretty awesome.

Was it a game used jersey, with blood, dip stains, and the smell of coors light on it?

49 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Remember that well. Was always fun to watch

That  spin move saved so many extra bases. That is why i don't take defensive stats seriously. He made playing LF look so easy.  I have yet to see another LF'er  make that spin move anywhere near as good as GA .

20 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

That  spin move saved so many extra bases. That is why i don't take defensive stats seriously. He made playing LF look so easy.  I have yet to see another LF'er  make that spin move anywhere near as good as GA .

It was seriously a game changing thing.  He did that shit all the time too, so much so I think fans took it for granted .... but like @ten ocho recon scoutand @Loumentioned, it was fun watching guys come to a screeching halt and go scrambling back anytime he did it.  And the reason it was so damn effective is the dude had a cannon for a LFer.  He just made it all look so effortless.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Career-wise I'd also rank Devon White and maybe Wally Joyner over Erstad and Anderson, but they spent a lot of years outside the org. 

Neither Joyner nor Devin White careers matched Anderson and Erstadt.

To be honest we should probably limit the list to those who made debut with the angeks and Angel career.

• Chuck changed the title to Who do you got? Darin Erstad or Garret Anderson
11 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Neither Joyner nor Devin White careers matched Anderson and Erstadt.

To be honest we should probably limit the list to those who made debut with the angeks and Angel career.

You're massively under rating Devo.  Its just unfortunate for us that his best play came after they traded him.  Big knock on him from me is that he was primarily a leadoff guy who wasn't that good at getting on base.  But good lord could he defend and run the bases.

GA all the way. Smooth all around player could hit for Average or Power and could adjust mid at bat to adjust to the count. RC29 with more pop! Defensively, he did everything so smooth he could cover gap to gap while playing any of the positions LF, CF, RF and had a very solid throwing arm. 

4 minutes ago, stormngt said:

The original poster used criteria of 

Drafted by the Angel's and Angel's career.

I know. Which is why I said "career-wise." 

Anyhow, drafted by Angels/career Angels fWAR, games or games started:

1. 75.7 Trout, 1252 games
  2. 46.0 Finley, 379 GS
  3. 35.4 Salmon, 1672 games
  4. 34.5 Witt, 272 GS
  5. 31.4 Weaver, 322 GS
  6. 30.4 Tanana, 218 GS
  7. 27.6 Erstad, 1320 games
  8. 27.1 Lackey, 233 GS
  9. 26.3 Anderson, 2013 games
  10. 23.1 Kendrick, 1081 games
  11. 22.2 Figgins, 936 games
  12. 20.7 Glaus, 827 games

I think there's an argument that Kendrick, Figgins, and Glaus deserve to be ranked over Anderson. They put up only a bit less value and in about half or less games played. Witt also hasn't gotten any love.

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Tough one.  The big thing with Erstad was he was versatile on the field, and played the positions at GG caliber.  

When you go WAR, Erstad has a carreer WAR of 32.3, where Anderson is at 25.7.  And this is mainly from dWAR where Erstad is at 10.8 and Anderson a -3.8.  Where oWAR Erstad is at a 18.2 vs 23.4.  

I think that's about right.  Anderson was clearly the better offensive player, but Erstad was the better defensive player.  Both contributed mightily to the 2002 run.  

I'd lean towards Erstad, just because he was a complete player on both sides.

@Michifan It would be nice to link the article so we could see who the 5 were.  

Yea Erstad was the better overall player and has my vote.  Anderson was GROSSLY OVERRATED whose value came from the bat and even then his bat wasn't even as good as people think.  Career Angels' OPS; Erstad .756 vs Anderson .796; OPS+ Erstad 96 Anderson 105. ISO: Erstad: .130 Anderson: .170. 

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I know. Which is why I said "career-wise." 

Anyhow, drafted by Angels/career Angels fWAR, games or games started:

1. 75.7 Trout, 1252 games
  2. 46.0 Finley, 379 GS
  3. 35.4 Salmon, 1672 games
  4. 34.5 Witt, 272 GS
  5. 31.4 Weaver, 322 GS
  6. 30.4 Tanana, 218 GS
  7. 27.6 Erstad, 1320 games
  8. 27.1 Lackey, 233 GS
  9. 26.3 Anderson, 2013 games
  10. 23.1 Kendrick, 1081 games
  11. 22.2 Figgins, 936 games
  12. 20.7 Glaus, 827 games

I think there's an argument that Kendrick, Figgins, and Glaus deserve to be ranked over Anderson. They put up only a bit less value and in about half or less games played. Witt also hasn't gotten any love.

Yup, TY, Anderson was a middling LFer who averaged a bit over 2 WAR a season  for ~13 seasons of games.  He's a product of a time when baseball valued batting average and RBI over other metrics.

I read somewhere , maybe 10 years ago, that opposing teams made it part of their advanced scouting to not try to stretch those singles into doubles  when GA was out there.

I forgot the name of the coach who worked with GA on perfecting that spin move. I just remember that coaches daughter worked with Dennis Mead in the PR dept. I think her first name was Nancy.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

You're massively under rating Devo.  Its just unfortunate for us that his best play came after they traded him.  Big knock on him from me is that he was primarily a leadoff guy who wasn't that good at getting on base.  But good lord could he defend and run the bases.

Yea, looking at his stats as he left and I did underestimate him.