• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trevor Bauer signs with the Dodgers (3 years, $102 million)

mmc

4 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Unless he has a serious injury.  He could've gotten close to $200 million with a longer deal. 

and "only" be stuck with $102M -- poor guy. 

If he doesn't have an injury, he gets $40M (or $85M) plus an additional $200M+ mega contract.  He also gets to play with a guaranteed playoff team that is the WS favorite and his hometown.  

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

So Bauer's AAV is $34 million over 3 years. If he opts out after 1 year, does his AAV increase to $40 (for luxury tax purposes)?

My guess is no since the opt-out is done at the end of the season and a player's AAV is not adjusted due an opt out.  The Dodgers are cleverly using the AAV calculation and opt-outs to their advantage.

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

payroll at 240m.  c'mon.  that's just absurd.  every team is the 'other team' compared to that.  

Isn't that basically what the Yanks did for so many years until recently?  Yeah, if that's your team -- you love it.  If not, it sucks.  If Arte was richer and spent balls-to-the-wall to win no matter what with his toy baseball team and we had a $250M payroll....you & everyone here would love it.  It's like Bonds/Clemens/etc. -- you hate them unless he's on your team (in which case you love them). 

11 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Great move for the Dodgers. He'll make them a better team. The point is to win.

Yes, the point is to win and for the Angels is to save money and not go over the Tax. I’m tired of these idiots who only want to play for a championship time, it has always been Yankees and or Dodgers. Players do not want to go to a team and help them get to be a great team only goes to a team that is already there. The Angels fans want someone who wants to be with the Angels, fuck Cole and Bauer

As much as I hate the Dodgers, MAD respect for them on doing what they need to do to stay competitive against the Padres. 

Must be a great feeling for the fans to know ownership wants to put a winning team on the field no matter the cost. 

We've all said the Dodgers, Rays and Padres know what they're doing so we must say the same thing here. They see value in him. 

Now they're about $29M over the tax so I wonder if they might trade some arms.....

Just now, eligrba said:

My guess is no since the opt-out is done at the end of the season and a player's AAV is not adjusted due an opt out.  The Dodgers are cleverly using the AAV calculation and opt-outs to their advantage.

Exactly.  It's effectively a two year contract with some security should he get injured or absolutely suck.  Otherwise, he'll like get another 100+m over the rest of his career. 

• mmc changed the title to Trevor Bauer signs with the Dodgers (3 years, $102 million)
1 minute ago, ScottT said:

An additional $200 million contract?  That's highly questionable.

Let's not forget.  The guy has two elite seasons.  He's been in the league nine years.

if he wins the cy young in 2021 (or just top 3-5)....with fans now in seats and revenues up for 2022+.....yes he'll get a $200M contract next season.

6 minutes ago, Fourts said:

Isn't that basically what the Yanks did for so many years until recently?  Yeah, if that's your team -- you love it.  If not, it sucks.  If Arte was richer and spent balls-to-the-wall to win no matter what with his toy baseball team and we had a $250M payroll....you & everyone here would love it.  It's like Bonds/Clemens/etc. -- you hate them unless he's on your team (in which case you love them). 

I dont think this is entirely fair... he HAS spent, he just hasnt gone ham.
My issue with all this is that if we were never going to bust that tax, then we never should have extended Trout.  It was inevitable from the moment that deal was made that we would have to do that to compete at some point, yet it now very clear that never going to happen.
ANY other situation and all this makes sense, but the presence of Trout changes it, or should anyway.
If this is who we are, and by all account it is, we should have dealt him them, perhaps we still should now.   
If your not willing to bust the tax to make the best player of the generation a winner, then maybe you shouldn't have that player. 
Our legacy as of now will be the team that wasted the best player of the age, good luck living that one down.

Just to be clear this isnt about Bauer per se... its about the idea that were still dumpster diving for guys that fit the money, instead of going out and getting the better options.  Im kinda glad we didnt pay that much for Bauer but we passed on so many other pitching options that would have helped far more than what weve done. 

2 minutes ago, rottiesworld said:

Yes, the point is to win and for the Angels is to save money and not go over the Tax. I’m tired of these idiots who only want to play for a championship time, it has always been Yankees and or Dodgers. Players do not want to go to a team and help them get to be a great team only goes to a team that is already there. The Angels fans want someone who wants to be with the Angels, fuck Cole and Bauer

I'd say Trout and Weaver weren't like this 

2 minutes ago, Fourts said:

that's dumb.  it's not his toy.  It's his business and he spends more than most.  Being richer means little relative to the teams we see spending. 

the Yanks did it penalty free.  I'm totally happy with what the Angels spend.  I just want them to make good decisions.  

19 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

where is the David Price BS coming from?  

The Dodgers are way over the tax and Price is set to make 16 million. The Angels need SP and also good prospects and the Dodgers have many of those. I guess the thought is the Angels would trade for Price to essentially buy a good prospect. Just like what the Giants did with the Angels taking on Cozarts contract.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I think his point is that the Angels have not improved the team for this season and Trout will likely be going on another October hunting trip. 

The Angels finished last season strong.  There's room for improvement. The teams ahead of them got worse. 

They could easily win the division