• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Dexter Fowler and cash from the Cardinals for a PTBNL or cash

mmc

2020 season statistical comparisons and assessments need more scrutiny. Whether it's 11 starts for Bauer, 101 plate appearances for Fowler,  43 games for Joc Pederson, or even the mess that was Jose Altuve's season...  it was a wacky, short year.  I'd ignore a lot of it.  

2 minutes ago, ScottT said:

2020 season statistical comparisons and assessments need more scrutiny. Whether it's 11 starts for Bauer, 101 plate appearances for Fowler,  43 games for Joc Pederson, or even the mess that was Jose Altuve's season...  it was a wacky, short year.  I'd ignore a lot of it.  

Using that logic we should ignore Dylan Bundy's success as well.

I definitely wanted more than this, but like I keep saying, you guys (except @Lou) are going to be disappointed.

Fowler is a competent platoon bat who reduces our exposure to Taylor Ward at bats, can cover a day off for Trout in center, and costs less than $2 mil. 

Is it sexy? No. But when you are stuck shopping exclusively from the markdown bin this isn't a bad pickup. 

51 minutes ago, failos said:

Using that logic we should ignore Dylan Bundy's success as well.

I don't know that I'd say you should "ignore" it--but I'm definitely taking a wait-and-see approach to his success (as well as anyone else who had an anomalous "season" last year, whether good or bad).

Bundy's 1st 4 starts: 1.57 ERA, .448 OPS, BAbip .206

Last 7 starts: 4.62 ERA, .726 OPS, BAbip .314

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I don't know that I'd say you should "ignore" it--but I'm definitely taking a wait-and-see approach to his success (as well as anyone else who had an anomalous "season" last year, whether good or bad).

Bundy's 1st 4 starts: 1.57 ERA, .448 OPS, BAbip .206

Last 7 starts: 4.62 ERA, .726 OPS, BAbip .314

I don't think he's either of those. He'll end up closer to the latter but I don't see his ERA topping 4.20.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't think he's either of those. He'll end up closer to the latter but I don't see his ERA topping 4.20.

Oh, I agree.  But that's my point.  Some on here (and elsewhere) seem to think that's he's a set-in-stone solid pitcher now.  I think he'll likely continue to be better than he was in Baltimore, but all this talk of extensions, etc., seems a little crazy to me at this point.  Yes, I realize you run the risk of having to pay him much more if he does put up a year anything close to last year--but I'd rather take that risk than sign him to a 3 or 4-year deal now and have him be the "closer to the latter" guy.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Oh, I agree.  But that's my point.  Some on here (and elsewhere) seem to think that's he's a set-in-stone solid pitcher now.  I think he'll likely continue to be better than he was in Baltimore, but all this talk of extensions, etc., seems a little crazy to me at this point.  Yes, I realize you run the risk of having to pay him much more if he does put up a year anything close to last year--but I'd rather take that risk than sign him to a 3 or 4-year deal now and have him be the "closer to the latter" guy.

I think he's going to be better than average. Something like 2.5-3 WAR. 

Honestly, we have to do something. Having 4 guys hitting free agency next year is a problem. I'm not saying they should extend Bundy for the sake of it, I just think they can get him for Odorizzi money, and I think that will be the better investment over the next few years. 

23 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

depends on the extension.  

23 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I think he's going to be better than average. Something like 2.5-3 WAR. 

Honestly, we have to do something. Having 4 guys hitting free agency next year is a problem. I'm not saying they should extend Bundy for the sake of it, I just think they can get him for Odorizzi money, and I think that will be the better investment over the next few years. 

Is it that big of a problem? They are all questionable

32 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Is it that big of a problem? They are all questionable

Depends on how Detmers and Rodriguez progress. 

It's not about whether they're questionable or not, it's that they have to be replaced regardless. If all four guys leave, it only frees up $27 million. That's...not good. That won't get us a lot. We need our young guys to come through and take a big step forward. Detmers, Rodriguez, Barria, and Sandoval. That could solve the issue right there, but whether it's better or not is what's questionable.

6 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Depends on how Detmers and Rodriguez progress. 

It's not about whether they're questionable or not, it's that they have to be replaced regardless. If all four guys leave, it only frees up $27 million. That's...not good. That won't get us a lot. We need our young guys to come through and take a big step forward. Detmers, Rodriguez, Barria, and Sandoval. That could solve the issue right there, but whether it's better or not is what's questionable.

But they only cost $27 million. For a reason 

On 2/5/2021 at 8:51 AM, fan_since79 said:

I'll split the difference with you and predict 80-82.

The pitching is still not there.

a very honest assessment - I agree. And if - as in year's past - any part of these one year deal guys don't last the season -- we could be looking at more like 75-78 wins -- has the actual schedule come out yet?  Are they going to change the schedule up (as the NHL did) to limit travel and will teams play more games within their division?  If so, the projected win total may need to be adjusted upward -- AL West not exactly the toughest division in 2021.  Of course the mediocre 2021 AL West teams include us.