• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Dexter Fowler and cash from the Cardinals for a PTBNL or cash

mmc

34 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm actually a fan of this deal. There's so much more left in the tank with Fowler. He never fully got his feet under him in St. Louis, but he will in Anaheim with Maddon at the helm. 

He'll give the Angels one year of veteran leadership, solid OBP and another lefty bat to counterbalance things. 

Minasian clearly believed upon taking the job that the root of the issue with the Angels has been a lack of winning culture. Not a bad clubhouse, just one that needs more direction. And it's hard to argue otherwise. Despite very talented teams under Dipoto and Eppler, they simply didn't win. The last time they won, John Macdonald was the utility infielder and player coach. The veteran leader they needed. 

Pujols keeps them focused, Trout is the gel that keeps them together, and Rendon prevents then from going too high on the highs and too low on the lows. And now they need direction. Someone to come in and help Maddon instill that winning culture that he's created everywhere he's gone. And that'll be on Quintana, Cobb and Fowler.

So again, a good move for Fowler. He'll be better than many think.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Ok just saw they aren't paying much of anything, but then that means they likely just traded a solid prospect in the deal if the Cards are eating over $12M. Hopefully nobodoy within their top 10

Fowler at less than $2M isn't anything worth getting upset over. Don't think he's got anything left other than replacement level production at best, but it's fine. Allows both Adell and Marsh to start in Triple-A and best case scenario is one of them forces their way into playing time at the MLB level

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

I’m just puzzled as to why Perry said defense would be a priority, and then acquired a mediocre defensive guy for RF.

Its because Maddon wanted him.

It looks like a dumb move. And likely will be. But, in real life, it makes sense. Meaning, maddon, the guy in charge, wanted him. Is what it is.

Hopefully adell figures is out sooner than later and this isnt a big deal.

Too bad we lost claude.... Fowler Pole would be a decent sign in right field.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

That's interesting.  "Should be on the way soon?"  I don't know if Mark is exactly privy to FO moves, but that does sound like a lot of confidence.

He said almost the exact same things last year.  I tweeted back at him last night asking if he knew something was happening or if it was a hunch.  Here’s his response.

While the deal was upsetting because Fowler seems like a downgrade, I suppose at 1.75mil, he's a fine 4th OF who will likely be starting at the start, at least until Adell is ready.  When Adell is ready, Fowler will probably shift into a part-time role.  His splits indicate he can still be a decent hitter against RHP.

That said, as I mentioned, I preferred Pederson, especially since he would have just cost 5mil more.  Pederson too is a poor fielder, but at least he'd provide a significant offensive upgrade.  But again, if Adell (or Marsh) is ready this year, Pederson isn't someone we could bench in favor of them, so he likely wouldn't have want to come.

If this cheap acquisition is in the context of acquiring one more substantial SP, which is what Gubicza is suggesting, then I am alright with this deal.  If we get Paxton or Odorizzi, then our rotation becomes Bundy, Paxton/Odorizzi, Heaney, Quintana, Cobb, Canning, Ohtani, Barria, etc.. that's actually a lot of quality arms, and if that's why we had to really cheap out with the acquisition of Dexter, then in that case, that's okay with me.

Just now, Stradling said:

He said almost the exact same things last year.  I tweeted back at him last night asking if he knew something was happening or if it was a hunch.  Here’s his response.

Cool, thanks.  I am sure he has to express optimistic and be super excited regardless, given his role on the team as its announcer, but I can't imagine he would suggest it's likely we'd get another SP unless he had some inside information that a move is imminent, or close to it.

1 minute ago, wopphil said:

They could still radically alter this team with one or two moves, and they have all the trade chips still in place to do it (should they go that route). 

Sign a bullpen piece or two, play the first half of the season and decide a course or action by the trade deadline. If the team earns the right to be upgraded at the deadline, by all means go get that piece.  If it doesn’t, trade what you can. 

While all of these moves are a bit of a bummer, it does appear Minasian will have a fairly clean slate to work with soon, with Pujols and Upton's deals set to expire.

It is likely he does not view this as a true WS contending team, and feels the team needs another year or two of internal growth / development before pulling the trigger on longer, more substantial deals.

Maybe if Adell and Marsh both develop well and are ready sometime this year, and if a few of our SP prospects take some leaps and look ready to be significant contributors in 2022, things will be better.  But I sorta feel 2021 is just going to be another punt year.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

While all of these moves are a bit of a bummer, it does appear Minasian will have a fairly clean slate to work with soon, with Pujols and Upton's deals set to expire.

It is likely he does not view this as a true WS contending team, and feels the team needs another year or two of internal growth / development before pulling the trigger on longer, more substantial deals.

Maybe if Adell and Marsh both develop well and are ready sometime this year, and if a few of our SP prospects take some leaps and look ready to be significant contributors in 2022, things will be better.  But I sorta feel 2021 is just going to be another punt year.

Which sucks because it’s such a winnable division. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

All these “raise the floor” type signings/trades are fine and they were needed but we still need that TOR arm.

Odorizzi, Paxton, Walker types don’t move the needle much for us after they brought in Quintana and Cobb.

Now the Angels have experienced veterans where they mostly had inexperienced/young guys guys playing last year. If Perry can find a way to bring in a TOR arm they might seriously have something here

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yep... very much so.  This is why i dont think were done, i cant see them simply punting on that fact at this point.  
Its frustrating as fans to want more for the teams than it apparently wants for itself so im holding out hope