• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Curt Schilling: I will not participate in the final year of voting. I am requesting to be removed from the ballot.

rafibomb

27 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

For people who aren't voting based on more "advanced" metrics like WAR, I think you could make a somewhat reasonable argument that his career counting numbers aren't overwhelmingly impressive.  His most similar pitchers according to Baseball Reference are Kevin Brown, Zach Greinke, Bob Welch, Justin Verlander, Tim Hudson, Freddie Fitzsimmons, Orel Hershiser, Milt Pappas, Mark Buerhle, and John Smoltz.  Obviously Smoltz is already in and Verlander (and probably Greinke) will get in--but it's not like his comp set is made up of guys that you automatically think of as HOFers.  You can give him "extra credit" for post season, of course (where he was undeniably good), but I can imagine there are some people who aren't voting for him for reasons other than his politics (or shady business practices...).

OK, of the 29% that didnt vote for him, what percentage of those do you think are using this logic and not political ideology?

Just now, floplag said:

OK, of the 29% that didnt vote for him, what percentage of those do you think are using this logic and not political ideology?

Beats me.  I'm just saying that it's theoretically possible that someone could think along those lines: he was very good/great, but not great ENOUGH to get into the HOF.  You asked people to make an argument, and I'm just giving you a theoretical one.

Personally, I don't think he belongs in the hall.  

216 wins over 20 years is only 10 wins a season.  That's just longevity, not hall worthy.  His 162 game average was a 15-10 record.  Again, not hall worthy.  Career ERA is 3.46, Whip is 1.137 which are good.  6 all stars out of 20 years.  But another big thing is 0 cy youngs, 0 MVP's.  He couldn't even be the best in a year.  

So again, IMO, I don't see how he's even close to being elected in.  

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Someone asked for a baseball reason that he shouldn’t be in the HOF, how bout 9 seasons of 20 where he was under .500?  By the way, I think he’s a hall of famer, but obviously it’s close. 

Four of those seasons he was a RP.   One of those years he had an ERA+ of 159 -- that's higher than either of his 20 win seasons.   13 of his 16 seasons as a SP, he posted an ERA+ of 120 or better.   

2 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Personally, I don't think he belongs in the hall.  

216 wins over 20 years is only 10 wins a season.  That's just longevity, not hall worthy.  His 162 game average was a 15-10 record.  Again, not hall worthy.  Career ERA is 3.46, Whip is 1.137 which are good.  6 all stars out of 20 years.  But another big thing is 0 cy youngs, 0 MVP's.  He couldn't even be the best in a year.  

So again, IMO, I don't see how he's even close to being elected in.  

gotbeer is partying like it's 1980.

Anyhow, my favorite Hall of Fame stat is JAWs, which averaged career WAR and best seven year WAR. Schilling is 28th among all pitchers. Everyone ahead of him is in the HOF, as are the three after him: Mussina, Glavine, and Ryan. After that, it is a few non-HOF 19th century pitchers, plus active guys like Verlander, Greinke and Kershaw, all of whom will be in the HOF. You have to go all the way to 47th to find a 20th century pitcher not in the Hall (Wes Ferrell).

He has the right to express himself however he wants. For once I agree with Heyman that I personally wouldn't vote no on him due to that. Point is not everyone is that liberal in how they vote, and what I'm saying is that even though it isn't how I'd handle it, I understand the perspective and feel like Schilling shouldn't complain about being a victim - especially given how he describes people who disagree with him.