• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

For how much, how long, and where will Bauer sign?

Angelsjunky

How long, much, where  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Years

2. 2. AAV

3. 3. Team

I voted 7-8 years, $34-36M, Other/I'm a wuss. I'd like to predict the Angels, but really have no clue.

While I think that sort of contract is most likely (think, Rendon/Strasburg money), I also wouldn't be surprised to see something in the 5-6 year range, or even Bauer saying "to hell with this" and taking a one-year, $40M contract with the Yankees.

5/6 years, 31-33 AAV, Mets

I think it will be the high end of the prediction, 6/200.  Mets will be motivated to pay his price because they need to compete with the Braves and Bauer may get them the wild card if they cant overtake them.  Bauer will be on a big stage ,with the press playing up the Cole/Bauer rivalry, and in social media heaven.  Being that the Mets were near the bottom with analytics, but with a new GM that apparently will give it a lot more emphasis, they can promise a stake in shaping their move towards analytic-driven processes and infrastructure.  Lastly, their owner seems like he would be okay with spending over the CBT threshold.

I voted for 6 years, 31-33 aav, although I suspect I may be light. It's possible he takes fewer years at a higher aav, but I can't see him settling for anything under 30 aav.

I've consistently said I don't expect him to sign here. I could be wrong, but Arte's just never spent that much, no matter how much it made sense for him to do so. He doesn't push his budget and I don't really think that'll change, even though I'm still holding out hope he sees how open the West is and goes for it. 

I guessed the Mets since there was a story out on them today making a big offer, but it could be someone else. Good news is that that probably signals this stupid process is nearly done. Probably by week's end, we'll have a resolution on it. 

I'm genuinely puzzled why people are undervaluing Bauer.

Is it the injuries in 2019? The lack of a track record pre-2018? The relatively short track record due to injuries in 2019 and short 2020? Are there durability worries?

Is it concern over his personality issues? 

To me, I see a top ten pitcher who people seem to think will be overpaid if he gets any thing more than #2 level money. I don't see the off the field stuff as significant enough to matter, and 2018-2020 represents in my mind a clear progression that makes pre-2018 irrelevant and 2019's injury-saddled year not meaningful for determining his value.

I'll allow it's tough to gauge a guy over a relatively short peak (so far), but the fact that he put up ace numbers in 2018, was starting to do so in 2019 before the ankle and then back issues (due to pitching through the ankle injury) derailed him, and then bounced back with even better numbers in 2020 to follow up from 2018 - all of that convinces me he's a legit TOR pitcher and should reasonably remain so for at least the next few years. 

2 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I'm genuinely puzzled why people are undervaluing Bauer.

Is it the injuries in 2019? The lack of a track record pre-2018? The relatively short track record due to injuries in 2019 and short 2020? Are there durability worries?

Is it concern over his personality issues? 

To me, I see a top ten pitcher who people seem to think will be overpaid if he gets any thing more than #2 level money. I don't see the off the field stuff as significant enough to matter, and 2018-2020 represents in my mind a clear progression that makes pre-2018 irrelevant and 2019's injury-saddled year not meaningful for determining his value.

I'll allow it's tough to gauge a guy over a relatively short peak (so far), but the fact that he put up ace numbers in 2018, was starting to do so in 2019 before the ankle and then back issues (due to pitching through the ankle injury) derailed him, and then bounced back with even better numbers in 2020 to follow up from 2018 - all of that convinces me he's a legit TOR pitcher and should reasonably remain so for at least the next few years. 

you say you're puzzled and then you give five reasons why there is significant risk.  While you are convinced, I can see why others wouldn't be.