• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Which pitching option would you prefer?

Angelsjunky

Which pitching option would you prefer?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer?

• Bauer for 7/$210-245M (or so) + scraps and clean peanuts = +$35-40M AAV
    • Tanaka for 3/$50-60M + sign one good reliever + maybe a solid OF (e.g. Pillar/Goodwin) = +$25-30M AAV
    • Odorizzi or Paxton for 2-3 years, $25-45M + sign a couple good relievers and maybe a solid OF (e.g. Pillar) = +25-30M AAV
    • Trade Marsh for Gray + sign a couple good relievers and maybe platoon PF (e.g. Pillar) = $20-25M AAV

Just now, floplag said:

I hate to be the broken record but it all comes down to if the budget is locked with no going over.
If it is then you go #3.
If not you insert Bauer for Odorizzi and still get the relievers and OF. 

I'm playing with the idea that they'd go a bit over for Bauer, but stick to $25-30M more if not.

I keep going back and forth between option 1 and 3 (i think the gap between Tanaka and Odorizzi isn't worth the extra money, plus Odorizzi is younger). My hesitancy about Bauer is the long-term commitment. If Odorizzi tanks, it is only 2-3 years. Bauer will likely require at least 7/$210M, which is another mega-contract. A lot can go wrong.

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I will still go on record as Bauer isn’t getting $35-40 million unless he signs a 1-2 year deal, which would be dumb on his part.  I think he will be signed for between $28-31 million a year for 5-6 years.  

I don't think he'll get over $35M (that $35-40M figure was for the entire option, including ~$5M for scraps), but would be very surprised if he gets less than $30M, and not at all surprised if he gets as much as $35M. 

Consider Strasburg - he got 7/$245M, or $35M per year, and there's an argument that Bauer is better - or at least as good. 

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't think he'll get over $35M (that $35-40M figure was for the entire option, including ~$5M for scraps), but would be very surprised if he gets less than $30M, and not at all surprised if he gets as much as $35M. 

Consider Strasburg - he got 7/$245M, or $35M per year, and there's an argument that Bauer is better - or at least as good. 

Yes, Strasburg should have never got that much.  I guess we will see.  You very well could be right.  I mean Springer still got paid.  It is weird that I hadn’t even considered how much Strasburg got paid in all of this.  

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes, Strasburg should have never got that much.  I guess we will see.  You very well could be right.  I mean Springer still got paid.  It is weird that I hadn’t even considered how much Strasburg got paid in all of this.  

Well, I hope you're right. And of course Strasburg had a better track record, averaging over 4 fWAR for the previous eight years, with two of the last three being 5.9 and 5.6 WAR. Kind of what could be called a "#1b" starter - not as good as the best, but still a #1. Bauer's last three years are comparable to Strasburg's three before his contract, but Bauer doesn't have the long-term level that Strasburg had. On the other hand, Bauer is a year and a half younger than Strasburg was, and coming off a CY. So if I'm Bauer (and his agent), I'm thinking "Strasburg money."

Sign Odorizzi and Walker plus 2 pen pieces. Your rotation will finally really have depth for a 6 man rotation. Bundy, Heaney, Odorizzi, Quintana, Canning and Walker.With Barria in Pen. Have Sandoval in minors. Every year halos have pitchers get hurt. If Ohtani comes back what a big plus that would be. Pen pieces Petit and Watson.

57 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm playing with the idea that they'd go a bit over for Bauer, but stick to $25-30M more if not.

I keep going back and forth between option 1 and 3 (i think the gap between Tanaka and Odorizzi isn't worth the extra money, plus Odorizzi is younger). My hesitancy about Bauer is the long-term commitment. If Odorizzi tanks, it is only 2-3 years. Bauer will likely require at least 7/$210M, which is another mega-contract. A lot can go wrong.

This is where i am at this point as well for the most part.  It cant be just Bauer, either way so if you get him you still have to be prepared to get the other p[arts, if your not, you dont do it

56 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I will still go on record as Bauer isn’t getting $35-40 million unless he signs a 1-2 year deal, which would be dumb on his part.  I think he will be signed for between $28-31 million a year for 5-6 years.  

IF thats the deal, im in... anything more, im not. 

Trade for Gray. The reason why....

1. The Angels have a surplus in terms of OF and can trade from that depth. 

2. Gray's salary is low enough that when combined with the money coming off the books from Pujols and Upton, it'll open up the avenue to acquire even more top of the rotation talent via free agency. So in reality, long term is Gray + _______.

3. He's not a rental. Trading for pitchers, particularly at the deadline, come as a rental. He has three years of control and will be someone you build around. 

4. He's the #1/2 starter the Angels absolutely need.

5. Length. Specifically, Detmers, Rodriguez and Kochanowicz need at least a year to develop. One for Detmers, two for Rodriguez, three for Kochanowicz. Don't get me wrong, they'll be Major League capable before that, but that's the amount of time they'll need to see the majors, make adjustments and thrive. And for that duration, that's where Sonny Gray will be, leading the staff, mentoring those younger guys.

Edited by Second Base

13 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Trade for Gray. The reason why....

1. The Angels have a surplus in terms of OF and can trade from that depth. 

2. Gray's salary is low enough that when combined with the money coming off the books from Pujols and Upton, it'll open up the avenue to acquire even more top of the rotation talent via free agency. So in reality, long term is Gray + _______.

3. He's not a rental. Trading for pitchers, particularly at the deadline, come as a rental. He has three years of control and will be someone you build around. 

4. He's the #1/2 starter the Angels absolutely need.

5. Length. Specifically, Detmers, Rodriguez and Kochanowicz need at least a year to develop. One for Detmers, two for Rodriguez, three for Kochanowicz. Don't get me wrong, they'll be Major League capable before that, but that's the amount of time they'll need to see the majors, make adjustments and thrive. And for that duration, that's where Sonny Gray will be, leading the staff, mentoring those younger guys.

But what does Cincy want and is Gray available now. We cannot wait to find out. I do really like Gray.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I was leaning option 1 anyway, but man, if Bauer could be had for anything close to 5/140, that's my pick in a heartbeat. 

I miss the days of looking forward to having an ace take the mound. When did you last feel that? Weaver in 2012, maybe '13? Richards flashed that in 2014 but it was only a flash and then it was gone. 

Bauer is #1 for me, but the rest will work in the order in which they've been presented. 

The last thing I want to do is trade our top prospects for an arm, especially seeing how the Padres fleeced other teams without including one top-100 prospect, which Marsh is.