• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2022 Free Agent Starting Pitchers

mmc

There is no incongruent thought in my side.  Relying on unproven prospects that might not even become MLB players is a risky business.  Relying on them to pitch a full season is even more so.  Relying on them to pitch a full season after the year before being totally limited in development and building arm strength with innings is just plain foolish.  

• 5 weeks later...

He had more tweets that he later deleted, but I didn’t get a chance to screenshot. Essentially said a player gives his all for a team for 7 years and 90% of players want to stay with the team, but hear nothing from them about keeping him, then when they hit the open market and get a big contract from another team, they are vilified for leaving.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

Is he gonna be next years Corbin/Cole/Bauer who we’re all going to be convinced we make the most sense for and that we have a great shot at getting just for him to sign elsewhere?

I feel like either that or he accepts the QO/re-ups with the Mets for a year to rebuild his value after coming back from TJ.

If we want a guy like Syndergaard or Stroman we're gonna need Detmers and/or Rodriguez to be locks for the 2022 rotation. 

As of right now, the Angels have roughly $27 million committed to the rotation. Even if all that gets freed up, that's not a lot of payroll space. One of the better starters will cost pretty much all of that and possibly more, so we need our young, controllable guys to step up. With all the other positions we need filled, I don't see Arte raising payroll for the rotation by much, if at all. I guess we'll have to see what happens. We may want to bring Bundy and Heaney back.

Based on recent history, I don't think fans should get their hopes up on signing someone like Synergaard or anyone of that caliber.

I'm hopeful we will re-sign one of our own FA SPs, perhaps Bundy, but I doubt we'd sign another significant FA SP beyond that.

We'll likely have to carve out a budget to address multiple things beyond re-signing one of our SPs - probably another lower-tier SP signing (like Quintana this offseason), a SS, a closer, a backup catcher, etc.

We will likely see Minasian approach it similarly - spread around the available dollars that he has.  Hopefully, one of Marsh or Adell (or perhaps both) will demonstrate enough growth so our OF is covered.  And, hopefully, Determs will have a solid minor league season and prove to be a likely SP option by 2022, and maybe CRod can stay healthy and show himself to be an option as well.

Still, that said, this team has a number of holes it'll need to plug up, so I would envision a similar approach next offseason as we saw this offseason.  I expect Minasian to do everything he can to facilitate internal growth in the minor league levels and help try to provide some internal options soon.

• 6 months later...

What contracts do guys think players like Gausman and Ray might get?  Or Stroman?  I don’t think we’ll have much luck with the older guys, they likely want to finish their careers on contenders and most have already gotten paid (not to mention contenders who need pitching always seem to be willing to pay for it).  Think this might be the year we need to give a big term deal for a guy like the three I mentioned, could be regrettable but how else can we make a size-able to the rotation?  I fully believe we have the young depth to fill out our rotation but we badly need a top tier arm to lead the staff.  Hopefully this is the year we can make it happen.

• 4 weeks later...

I've used Spotrac estimated values for free agents in the past and they've been quite close

They have Kershaw (?) and Scherzer getting over 30 mil per year. For Kershaw that may change. 

They have Syndergaad getting close to 29 mil, I think he accepts the QO

Ray,Rodon, and Gausman are estimated in the low to mid 90s 

They have Iglesias Over 15 mil, which is close to what I accept that he will get 

Kimbrel and jansen are close to 10 mil 

On 2/26/2021 at 5:29 PM, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

Gausman and Stroman

I think these two (along with Ray) have the highest floor, while having potential to be aces at times, for a reasonable contract. 

Kershaw / Verlander / Thor have a higher potential ceiling, but a much lower floor with injury risk. Them and Max will also cost a ton. 

Gausman, Stroman, and Ray are somewhat affordable number 2 SP with low risk and which would be fantastic for us IMO.