• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2022 Free Agent Starting Pitchers

mmc

It's still early, but I wanted to discuss this class, not because I think we should give up on last year's class (or think we already have), but because regardless of what we do with the pitching this offseason, we're likely to be shopping in this class regardless as we will have Bundy, Quintana, and Heaney all expiring (even if it just means re-signing any or all of the 3 we already have). 

Top starting pitchers who are set to become UFAs next include:

Brett Anderson (34)
Chase Anderson (34)
Tyler Anderson (32)
Chris Archer (33)
Jake Arrieta (36)
Trevor Bauer (31) – can opt out of remaining two years, $62MM
Dylan Bundy (29)
Trevor Cahill (33)
Alex Cobb (34)
Johnny Cueto (36) — $22MM club option ($5MM buyout)
Zach Davies (29)
Anthony DeSclafani (32)
Danny Duffy (33)
Mike Fiers (37)
Kevin Gausman (31)
Jon Gray (30)
Zack Greinke (38)
J.A. Happ (39)
Matt Harvey (33)
Andrew Heaney (31)
Felix Hernandez (36)
Rich Hill (42)
Merrill Kelly (32) — $4.25MM club option ($500K buyout)
Clayton Kershaw (34)
Yusei Kikuchi (31) — Mariners can exercise four-year, $66MM extension; if not, Kikuchi has one-year, $13MM player option
Kwang-Hyun Kim (33)
Corey Kluber (36)
Wade LeBlanc (37)
Jon Lester (38)
Michael Lorenzen (30)
Jordan Lyles (31)
Carlos Martinez (30) — $17MM club option ($500K buyout; contract also contains $18MM club option for 2023)
Steven Matz (31)
Wade Miley (35) — $10MM club option ($1MM buyout)
Tommy Milone (35)
Mike Montgomery (32)
Matt Moore (33)
Daniel Norris (29)
Ivan Nova (35)
James Paxton (33)
Martin Perez (31)
Michael Pineda (33)
Jose Quintana (33)
Robbie Ray (30)
Garrett Richards (34) — $10MM club option
Tanner Roark (35)
Carlos Rodon (29)
Eduardo Rodriguez (29)
Tyson Ross (35)
Aaron Sanchez (29)
Max Scherzer (37)
Matt Shoemaker (35)
Drew Smyly (33)
Marcus Stroman (30)
Noah Syndergaard (29)
Julio Teheran (31)
Jose Urena (30)
Vince Velasquez (30)
Justin Verlander (39)
Michael Wacha (30)
Adam Wainwright (40)
Alex Wood (31)

Which players would you like to see the Angels go after?

McCullers and based on his health and performance in 2021, Syndergaard. 

That said, if we lock Bauer up, extend Bundy if he has yet another solid season, we'll have Ohtani, Canning and Detmers and Rodriguez in the pipeline so maybe we don't need to dip into FA for starting pitchers. 

It all depends on the health from our guys and who we sign this season and for how long. If Ohtani returns to form and we land Bauer, I feel good standing pat next offseason. Focus on SS since we only have Iglesias for one year.

11 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

That said, if we lock Bauer up, extend Bundy if he has yet another solid season, we'll have Ohtani, Canning and Detmers and Rodriguez in the pipeline so maybe we don't need to dip into FA for starting pitchers. 

Bingo.  That's the problem i have with the Quintana signing and no (yet) FA/Trade -- nobody signed after this year.  There's a lot of age and injury concerns on that FA list for next year.  But as currently set, we need to get two of those guys at least.  Now if we get Bauer and extend Bundy, then we are set and can allow Detmers, Rodriguez and even Sandoval, Barria, Saurez, etc. fight for back end starts in 2022.  Maybe just some cheap vet for depth,  but no requirement for big $$$ long year risky FA investments in SPs. 

When I took a look at that list again yesterday it made me think, "all the more reason to go big on Bauer." There just isn't an equivalent long-term investment - at least unless Syndergaard re-establishes his value or McCullers finally puts it all together.

There are a lot of truly great pitchers on that list, including four future Hall of Famers, but they're all old: Kershaw is the baby of the quartet and he'll be 34, and is clearly not the pitcher he was a few years ago.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

It's still early, but I wanted to discuss this class, not because I think we should give up on last year's class (or think we already have), but because regardless of what we do with the pitching this offseason, we're likely to be shopping in this class regardless as we will have Bundy, Quintana, and Heaney all expiring (even if it just means re-signing any or all of the 3 we already have). 

Top starting pitchers who are set to become UFAs next include:

Clayton Kershaw

Dylan Bundy

Andrew Heaney

Max Scherzer

Zack Greinke

Justin Verlander

Marcus Stroman

Kevin Gausman

Lance Lynn

Noah Syndergaard

Zach Davies

Eduardo Rodriguez

Lance McCullers

Jon Gray

Which players would you like to see the Angels go after?

For me, I'd categorize it:

1. Syndergaard/Kershaw/Scherzer

2. Lynn/Greinke/Verlander

3. Gausman/Rodriguez/Stroman/Bundy/Davies/Heaney/Gray

None of them. Detmers and Rodriguez are going to come in and dominate, and Ohtani is going to be healthy. Ok fine, they'll bring back Bundy.

All kidding aside, both Detmers and Rodriguez should be ready for the big leagues at the start of 2022. And seeing all those arms, it's prime opportunity for 1-2 years deals for a couple of them. 

But that is largely dependent on what their payroll looks like. If they sign Bauer, they won't have them money to get any of these guys and they'll just turn to the prospects. But if they grab a lower cost acquisition like Odorizzi, Tanaka or Richards, then there should be plenty of money to spend, especially with Pujols coming off the books.

I’d try to get Bundy extended before the season starts.   He now looks like a rock solid #3, borderline #2.

Quintana is still only 31.  If he pitches well, I’d try to re-sign him on a 3 year deal.

Given the durability issues with the staff in recent years, and Arte Moreno’s reluctance to go over threshold, they are the two best bets.

No long term pitcher deals, with who they have on the farm.

But hey, if Bauer for whatever reason is happy with a two year $80 million deal, do it!

Two years over threshold won’t cost Arte Moreno that much extra in tax payments.

Edited by Angel Oracle

We really need to see how things play out in 2021. There are so many questions with current pitchers, and we need to see how Detmers, Rodriguez, and Yan come along.

Best-case scenario and Bundy has solidified a new level as a #2; Quintana and Heaney regain their #3 form; Ohtani is healthy; Canning, Barria and Sandoval all take a step forward; Detmers and Rodriguez advance quickly. There, you have your 2022 rotation, and then some - and that doesn't even count a possible Bauer or Odorizzi signing.

In other words, looking at 2022 free agents may be unnecessary.

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

We really need to see how things play out in 2021. There are so many questions with current pitchers, and we need to see how Detmers, Rodriguez, and Yan come along.

Best-case scenario and Bundy has solidified a new level as a #2; Quintana and Heaney regain their #3 form; Ohtani is healthy; Canning, Barria and Sandoval all take a step forward; Detmers and Rodriguez advance quickly. There, you have your 2022 rotation, and then some - and that doesn't even count a possible Bauer or Odorizzi signing.

But if Bundy, Quintana, and Heaney all have great years, why would they re-sign when they're free agents and can sign with anyone? Or were you referring to the minors guys?

9 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm confused. If we wait and see how 2021 plays out before making decisions, wouldn't including Bundy and Heaney on the 2022 roster be dipping into that 2022 free agent list?

3 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

But if Bundy, Quintana, and Heaney all have great years, why would they re-sign when they're free agents and can sign with anyone? Or were you referring to the minors guys?

1 minute ago, Fish Oil said:

I'm confused. If we wait and see how 2021 plays out before making decisions, wouldn't including Bundy and Heaney on the 2022 roster be dipping into that 2022 free agent list?

It is very unlikely that all three are with the Angels in 2022, regardless of how they perform. I can see the Angels extending Bundy if they lose out on Bauer, but don't think they'll do so if they sign Bauer - there simply won't be the money.

Other than extending Bundy (or possibly Heaney, but I don't see why they'd do that), what other decisions can be made before next offseason? They need to figure out what they have before they know what they need. 

2 minutes ago, Fourts said:

AJ: you are automatically adding in three 2022 Angel FAs into next year’s rotation. Do you see the problem facing the team for next year?!?

Are you suggesting that the Angels offer multi-year extensions to two or three of them before hand? Again, they need to see how not only they perform--but how Ohtani holds up, how Canning, Barria, and Sandoval do, and how Detmers, Rodriguez, Yan etc develop.

55 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Are you suggesting that the Angels offer multi-year extensions to two or three of them before hand? Again, they need to see how not only they perform--but how Ohtani holds up, how Canning, Barria, and Sandoval do, and how Detmers, Rodriguez, Yan etc develop.

I’m saying we need some SPs signed more than one year.  Whether that be extensions or acquiring via FA/trade.  It’s ridiculous that we have canning & Ohtani as the only SPs signed beyond this year.  Don’t tell me about barria, detmer, Sandoval, etc.  Those guys should not be relied upon for 30+ starts next year.  So signing yet another one year FA on top of what we have and going into next year with one SP (canning) and a question mark (SO) and prospects makes zero sense.  

At a minimum, we need the next SP to be signed beyond this year.  But I’d also look into extending Bundy too. 

51 minutes ago, Fourts said:

I’m saying we need some SPs signed more than one year.  Whether that be extensions or acquiring via FA/trade.  It’s ridiculous that we have canning & Ohtani as the only SPs signed beyond this year.  Don’t tell me about barria, detmer, Sandoval, etc.  Those guys should not be relied upon for 30+ starts next year.  So signing yet another one year FA on top of what we have and going into next year with one SP (canning) and a question mark (SO) and prospects makes zero sense.  

At a minimum, we need the next SP to be signed beyond this year.  But I’d also look into extending Bundy too. 

Well, the offseason isn't over yet. There is still a possibility that the Angels sign one of Bauer, Tanaka, or Odorizzi. And if they don't sign Bauer, they might offer Bundy an extension.

That said, there's an incongruency to your concern about the Angels not having many starters signed beyond 2021, but not wanting to consider the younger guys because they shouldn't be relied upon for 30 starts in 2021. If you're worried about 2022 and beyond, the Angels have a bunch of younger starters who will gradually pitch more and better innings. If you're worried about 2021, they've got at least three guys who have a good chance of starting 30 games a piece, plus a couple who can start 25.

And again, there's still a good chance they'll sign or trade for another veteran.