• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Spend the Remaining Money

Stradling

Lets just say it is $30 million, lets also say that $30 million is what it will take to get Bauer.  So now spend the money.  Do you spend it all on Bauer and round out the roster with league minimum guys?  Or do you spend $30 million by spreading it around?  I happen to believe that there are two budgets, one with Bauer and one without.  I don’t think Arte is thinking about spending $30 million regardless, I think he will only spend that on Bauer if on anyone at all.  For the sake of this thread, spend the $30 million, however you’d like.  Obviously if you are going to do trades make them realistic.  

Personally I would sign Bauer.  If that wasn’t an option I would do the following.

Trade Canning and a guy like Paris for Gray ($11 million).  I would then trade Heaney for prospects and to free up $6 million.  Then I would sign Hand, for $7 million. I would sign Petit, $4 million.  I would sign Walker for $8 million a year for 2 years, and then I would sign Profar for $6 million.  

What would you do.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Lets just say it is $30 million, lets also say that $30 million is what it will take to get Bauer.  So now spend the money.  Do you spend it all on Bauer and round out the roster with league minimum guys?  Or do you spend $30 million by spreading it around?  I happen to believe that there are two budgets, one with Bauer and one without.  I don’t think Arte is thinking about spending $30 million regardless, I think he will only spend that on Bauer if on anyone at all.  For the sake of this thread, spend the $30 million, however you’d like.  Obviously if you are going to do trades make them realistic.  

Personally I would sign Bauer.  If that wasn’t an option I would do the following.

Trade Canning and a guy like Paris for Gray ($11 million).  I would then trade Heaney for prospects and to free up $6 million.  Then I would sign Hand, for $7 million. I would sign Petit, $4 million.  I would sign Walker for $8 million a year for 2 years, and then I would sign Profar for $6 million.  

What would you do.  

I don't know.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

TG, you grump, you knew exactly what this thread was about from the title.  

Just about everyone has an idea.  Not everyone starts a new thread about it. 

Yes, I'm cranky.

You're making me crazy - Everyone Loses Their Minds (Joker Mind Loss) |  Make a Meme

I agree that there are two budgets.  I think Bauer's first year is gonna be around 20m regardless of what the rest of his deal looks like.  But I also think that 20m is the max Arte will spend the rest of the way and if we don't get Bauer, it will be less.  

Count me in on Bauer though.  We'll figure out the rest.  

I also think if the Angels sign Bauer it will be the first time they do so with an opt out.  Probably at 3 years.  Maybe 2.  Something like 20, 30, 30, opt out, 30, 30, 30.  or 6/170.  

Regardless of the numbers I've stated, I think it's gonna be a bit 'creative'.  

Trades aside, as i dont really see one that makes sense unless its one sided in our favor at this point, if i have only 30 Mil, no more, im out on Bauer.  One SP is not our only need, its that simple.
Ill grab the best i can get out of the tier two SP market, sign a RF, and put anything left into the pen.
If i could lets say get Odorizzi or similar, plus Pederson or Puig, plus Hand for example, for that same 30, i do that instead.
Bauer only works for me if were willing to bust the budget.
I dont really want any more 30 M contracts, and i dont want to trade the kids outside of a no brainer.

35 minutes ago, floplag said:

Trades aside, as i dont really see one that makes sense unless its one sided in our favor at this point, if i have only 30 Mil, no more, im out on Bauer.  One SP is not our only need, its that simple.
Ill grab the best i can get out of the tier two SP market, sign a RF, and put anything left into the pen.
If i could lets say get Odorizzi or similar, plus Pederson or Puig, plus Hand for example, for that same 30, i do that instead.
Bauer only works for me if were willing to bust the budget.
I dont really want any more 30 M contracts, and i dont want to trade the kids outside of a no brainer.

Exactly. If an ace was all this team needed, and we had 30 million left in the budget, sure, go get Bauer. But it just isn't the case. 

They still need a RF and another high leverage reliever in addition to another starter and they probably only have 10-15 million left to make that happen. 

At this point, the best course of action, at least in terms of the long term, is either blow the budget now, and use the prospects to gradually lower the budget back where it needs to be over the next few years. Or remain within budget, until Pujols and Upton are off the books and the prospects emerge and then spend big. 

Either they'll spend big now on pitching and temporarily go over budget, or they'll spend big on pitching in two years and just stay at the budget. 

Edited by Second Base

If we have 30mil to spend:

1.  Sign Bauer to a 5/125 deal.  I don't think he'll get a huge amount - the usual suspects aren't lingering around.  Pay him ~20mil in the first year of the deal.

2.  Sign Brad Hand to a 2/14 deal.  6/8.

3.  Sign Joc Pederson to a 2/16 deal.  7/9.

That's 33mil, but meh, what the hell.

Lineup:  2B Fletcher, 1B Walsh, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, RF Pederson, LF Upton, DH Ohtani, C Stassi, SS Iglesias

Bench:  C Suzuki, IF/OF Ward, IF Barreto, 1B Pujols

Rotation:  Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Ohtani

Bullpen:  Iglesias, Hand, Mayers, Pena, Buttrey, Claudio, Rivera, Reyes

People haven't done the math. Bauer makes this team a contender. Odorizzi + a RF and maybe a solid reliever makes us a playoff team.

I posted about this in the other thread. If you (looking at Second Base and Floplag) want to keep insisting we must fill all these holes, prove it wrong. The value just doesn't add up to spread the value around with trinkets from the crap shack.

Will they sign Bauer? Probably not. But that some of you actually think we shouldn't is just ridiculously short sighted.

With all the talk about Bauer getting a lot of money - who is lingering around that will give it to him?  Most of the usual suspects seem unlikely.

I'd say the Giants are a threat.  The Dodgers do NOT give huge contracts to pitchers.  So really, who else is left?  Maybe the Blue Jays..?

4 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

People haven't done the math. Bauer makes this team a contender. Odorizzi + a RF and maybe a solid reliever makes us a playoff team.

I posted about this in the other thread. If you (looking at Second Base and Floplag) want to keep insisting we must fill all these holes, prove it wrong. The value just doesn't add up to spread the value around with trinkets from the crap shack.

Will they sign Bauer? Probably not. But that some of you actually think we shouldn't is just ridiculously short sighted.

I dont recall seeing that and im not searching every post, would you mind linking it and ill happily take a look. 

6 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

If we have 30mil to spend:

1.  Sign Bauer to a 5/125 deal.  I don't think he'll get a huge amount - the usual suspects aren't lingering around.  Pay him ~20mil in the first year of the deal.

2.  Sign Brad Hand to a 2/14 deal.  6/8.

3.  Sign Joc Pederson to a 2/16 deal.  7/9.

That's 33mil, but meh, what the hell.

Lineup:  2B Fletcher, 1B Walsh, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, RF Pederson, LF Upton, DH Ohtani, C Stassi, SS Iglesias

Bench:  C Suzuki, IF/OF Ward, IF Barreto, 1B Pujols

Rotation:  Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Ohtani

Bullpen:  Iglesias, Hand, Mayers, Pena, Buttrey, Claudio, Rivera, Reyes

If Perry could pull that off for 33, he would be automatic exec of the year.
And i would be all for it.

As repetitive as it is.... Sign Bauer. 

I think the offense can carry itself just fine and by signing another starter it gives the Angels the options to have Barria and Sandoval fall back as long relief options. 

The Angels need an Ace. Bauer is currently that guy. Arte is selling the team short if we don't get him. IMO he would have lied to Trout, lied to the fans and most importantly lied to himself. 

I'd rather pay more for Bauer knowing he's less of an injury risk than get Odorizzi cuz he's cheap. I just don't buy into it at all. 

Use the 4000 #3-#6 guys we have to fill out the bullpen while guys who know how tog et it done like Bauer take the rotation.