Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! AngelsWin.com - Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

  • AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

Recommended Posts

Lets just say it is $30 million, lets also say that $30 million is what it will take to get Bauer.  So now spend the money.  Do you spend it all on Bauer and round out the roster with league minimum guys?  Or do you spend $30 million by spreading it around?  I happen to believe that there are two budgets, one with Bauer and one without.  I don’t think Arte is thinking about spending $30 million regardless, I think he will only spend that on Bauer if on anyone at all.  For the sake of this thread, spend the $30 million, however you’d like.  Obviously if you are going to do trades make them realistic.  

Personally I would sign Bauer.  If that wasn’t an option I would do the following.

Trade Canning and a guy like Paris for Gray ($11 million).  I would then trade Heaney for prospects and to free up $6 million.  Then I would sign Hand, for $7 million. I would sign Petit, $4 million.  I would sign Walker for $8 million a year for 2 years, and then I would sign Profar for $6 million.  

What would you do.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Solid post, would read again.

I don't know.

I like what Minasian has done.  I would trust him and his crew to make the best decision with the remaining money to improve the team and still have options available during the season. I think h

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Lets just say it is $30 million, lets also say that $30 million is what it will take to get Bauer.  So now spend the money.  Do you spend it all on Bauer and round out the roster with league minimum guys?  Or do you spend $30 million by spreading it around?  I happen to believe that there are two budgets, one with Bauer and one without.  I don’t think Arte is thinking about spending $30 million regardless, I think he will only spend that on Bauer if on anyone at all.  For the sake of this thread, spend the $30 million, however you’d like.  Obviously if you are going to do trades make them realistic.  

Personally I would sign Bauer.  If that wasn’t an option I would do the following.

Trade Canning and a guy like Paris for Gray ($11 million).  I would then trade Heaney for prospects and to free up $6 million.  Then I would sign Hand, for $7 million. I would sign Petit, $4 million.  I would sign Walker for $8 million a year for 2 years, and then I would sign Profar for $6 million.  

What would you do.  

I don't know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that there are two budgets.  I think Bauer's first year is gonna be around 20m regardless of what the rest of his deal looks like.  But I also think that 20m is the max Arte will spend the rest of the way and if we don't get Bauer, it will be less.  

Count me in on Bauer though.  We'll figure out the rest.  

I also think if the Angels sign Bauer it will be the first time they do so with an opt out.  Probably at 3 years.  Maybe 2.  Something like 20, 30, 30, opt out, 30, 30, 30.  or 6/170.  

Regardless of the numbers I've stated, I think it's gonna be a bit 'creative'.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trades aside, as i dont really see one that makes sense unless its one sided in our favor at this point, if i have only 30 Mil, no more, im out on Bauer.  One SP is not our only need, its that simple.
Ill grab the best i can get out of the tier two SP market, sign a RF, and put anything left into the pen.
If i could lets say get Odorizzi or similar, plus Pederson or Puig, plus Hand for example, for that same 30, i do that instead.
Bauer only works for me if were willing to bust the budget.
I dont really want any more 30 M contracts, and i dont want to trade the kids outside of a no brainer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, floplag said:

Trades aside, as i dont really see one that makes sense unless its one sided in our favor at this point, if i have only 30 Mil, no more, im out on Bauer.  One SP is not our only need, its that simple.
Ill grab the best i can get out of the tier two SP market, sign a RF, and put anything left into the pen.
If i could lets say get Odorizzi or similar, plus Pederson or Puig, plus Hand for example, for that same 30, i do that instead.
Bauer only works for me if were willing to bust the budget.
I dont really want any more 30 M contracts, and i dont want to trade the kids outside of a no brainer.

Exactly. If an ace was all this team needed, and we had 30 million left in the budget, sure, go get Bauer. But it just isn't the case. 

They still need a RF and another high leverage reliever in addition to another starter and they probably only have 10-15 million left to make that happen. 

At this point, the best course of action, at least in terms of the long term, is either blow the budget now, and use the prospects to gradually lower the budget back where it needs to be over the next few years. Or remain within budget, until Pujols and Upton are off the books and the prospects emerge and then spend big. 

Either they'll spend big now on pitching and temporarily go over budget, or they'll spend big on pitching in two years and just stay at the budget. 

Edited by Second Base
Link to post
Share on other sites

If we have 30mil to spend:

1.  Sign Bauer to a 5/125 deal.  I don't think he'll get a huge amount - the usual suspects aren't lingering around.  Pay him ~20mil in the first year of the deal.

2.  Sign Brad Hand to a 2/14 deal.  6/8.

3.  Sign Joc Pederson to a 2/16 deal.  7/9.

That's 33mil, but meh, what the hell.

Lineup:  2B Fletcher, 1B Walsh, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, RF Pederson, LF Upton, DH Ohtani, C Stassi, SS Iglesias

Bench:  C Suzuki, IF/OF Ward, IF Barreto, 1B Pujols

Rotation:  Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Ohtani

Bullpen:  Iglesias, Hand, Mayers, Pena, Buttrey, Claudio, Rivera, Reyes

Link to post
Share on other sites

People haven't done the math. Bauer makes this team a contender. Odorizzi + a RF and maybe a solid reliever makes us a playoff team.

I posted about this in the other thread. If you (looking at Second Base and Floplag) want to keep insisting we must fill all these holes, prove it wrong. The value just doesn't add up to spread the value around with trinkets from the crap shack.

Will they sign Bauer? Probably not. But that some of you actually think we shouldn't is just ridiculously short sighted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the talk about Bauer getting a lot of money - who is lingering around that will give it to him?  Most of the usual suspects seem unlikely.

I'd say the Giants are a threat.  The Dodgers do NOT give huge contracts to pitchers.  So really, who else is left?  Maybe the Blue Jays..?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

People haven't done the math. Bauer makes this team a contender. Odorizzi + a RF and maybe a solid reliever makes us a playoff team.

I posted about this in the other thread. If you (looking at Second Base and Floplag) want to keep insisting we must fill all these holes, prove it wrong. The value just doesn't add up to spread the value around with trinkets from the crap shack.

Will they sign Bauer? Probably not. But that some of you actually think we shouldn't is just ridiculously short sighted.

I dont recall seeing that and im not searching every post, would you mind linking it and ill happily take a look. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

If we have 30mil to spend:

1.  Sign Bauer to a 5/125 deal.  I don't think he'll get a huge amount - the usual suspects aren't lingering around.  Pay him ~20mil in the first year of the deal.

2.  Sign Brad Hand to a 2/14 deal.  6/8.

3.  Sign Joc Pederson to a 2/16 deal.  7/9.

That's 33mil, but meh, what the hell.

Lineup:  2B Fletcher, 1B Walsh, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, RF Pederson, LF Upton, DH Ohtani, C Stassi, SS Iglesias

Bench:  C Suzuki, IF/OF Ward, IF Barreto, 1B Pujols

Rotation:  Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Quintana, Canning, Ohtani

Bullpen:  Iglesias, Hand, Mayers, Pena, Buttrey, Claudio, Rivera, Reyes

If Perry could pull that off for 33, he would be automatic exec of the year.
And i would be all for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As repetitive as it is.... Sign Bauer. 

I think the offense can carry itself just fine and by signing another starter it gives the Angels the options to have Barria and Sandoval fall back as long relief options. 

The Angels need an Ace. Bauer is currently that guy. Arte is selling the team short if we don't get him. IMO he would have lied to Trout, lied to the fans and most importantly lied to himself. 

I'd rather pay more for Bauer knowing he's less of an injury risk than get Odorizzi cuz he's cheap. I just don't buy into it at all. 

Use the 4000 #3-#6 guys we have to fill out the bullpen while guys who know how tog et it done like Bauer take the rotation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...