• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Moore, anyone?

Second Base

Former top prospect and Rays ace Matt Moore was not a good pitcher in 2017 and 2018. The fact that he was once ranked higher as a prospect than Trout made the performance all the more disappointing. Imagine being one of the best pitchers in baseball at 25, to one of the worst at 28. 

I'd written him off, just like everyone else. Not only was he unhealthy but his arsenal was now greatly diminished. 

Last off-season, to little fanfare, he signed with Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks, in Japan. Evidently, he reinvented himself there (from all the reading I've done, the predominant change took place in Moore's preparation between starts, he still throws the same pitchers with the same velocity) and tossed 89 innings with a 2.65 ERA, which accompanied a huge spike in K/9. Moore's final start was in the Japan Series, where he went 7 no-hit innings before being replaced. 

This isn't the first time a pitcher has gone overseas to tinker before returning to the Major Leagues. With as much success as he experienced, I wonder if he can come back stateside and perform the way others like Miles Mikolas have.

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

He made between 3-6 million in Japan last season. I figure it'll take at least 3 million in a major league deal.

At this point, I think if the Angels are spending money it needs to be on someone proven. They can't take a chance on Moore for 3 million. It'd be better to just put that 3 million into a pen arm, imo.

34 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

How soon before he can be posted?

It appears he's still attached to Cuban baseball, sent to the NPB to develop.  

I have *no* idea what hurdles might be necessary to play here - or if he even wants to.

He probably has a pretty short shelf-life - an undersized relief pitcher in NPB doesn't bode well for a long career.

1 hour ago, DCAngelsFan said:

That 14.4 SO/9 doesn't suck 🙂

https://npb.jp/bis/eng/players/63965134.html

Interesting, I just watched the video! I had no clue of his stats.... How does the Cuban market work now? Are they draftable?... 4 years those #'s plummeted k's up. But, that yacker!!! That might be someone I would want to learn more about and his availability!

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Interesting, I just watched the video! I had no clue of his stats.... How does the Cuban market work now? Are they draftable?... 4 years those #'s plummeted k's up. But, that yacker!!! That might be someone I would want to learn more about and his availability!

I'd never heard of him 'til you pointed him out.  His 'stuff' looks legit - his status is too complex for me to work out - but if there's a way, he'd certainly be someone I'd want to look at ..

7 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I'd never heard of him 'til you pointed him out.  His 'stuff' looks legit - his status is too complex for me to work out - but if there's a way, he'd certainly be someone I'd want to look at ..

Interesting enough that is how we found some talent back in the day. Went to see a name and someone else shined through.