• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where will Bauer sign?

Where will Bauer sign?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which team do you think is most likely to sign Trevor Bauer?

5 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Yeah, I'd say most fans don't expect the Angels to sign Bauer. I think most expect them to go with a SP besides Bauer.

I'm fine with them not signing Bauer, as long as they add another starter and continue to upgrade the bullpen.

This

2 hours ago, Lou said:

As you stated, most fans want Bauer. That's different than saying they expect Bauer to sign here.  She makes it sound as if she knows something that we don't.  

Except she doesn't even mention Bauer.

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

Yeah, I'd say most fans don't expect the Angels to sign Bauer. I think most expect them to go with a SP besides Bauer.

I'm fine with them not signing Bauer, as long as they add another starter and continue to upgrade the bullpen.

You're right. On this thread's poll, only 26/56 expect the Angels to sign Bauer. So, slightly less than half, according to this super scientific and extremely accurate poll.

21 hours ago, Lou said:

As you stated, most fans want Bauer. That's different than saying they expect Bauer to sign here.  She makes it sound as if she knows something that we don't.  

It’s possible she does but I doubt anyone has told her flat out “don’t expect Bauer.”

I presume they’ve told her the same things they’ve told me, essentially: we are interested in everyone, we are trying, no one is ruled out, etc.

But my common sense says not to expect Bauer just because there’s only one Bauer, and also because that would jack up their payroll much higher than it’s been. 

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It’s possible she does but I doubt anyone has told her flat out “don’t expect Bauer.”

I presume they’ve told her the same things they’ve told me, essentially: we are interested in everyone, we are trying, no one is ruled out, etc.

But my common sense says not to expect Bauer just because there’s only one Bauer, and also because that would jack up their payroll much higher than it’s been. 

Basically, don't assume Arte is going to jack up payroll significantly above ordinary spending levels. He might, but don't expect it until it actually happens or complain if it doesn't. 

Do you guys think these second tier arms like Paxton, Tanaka and Odorizzi are waiting for Bauer to sign so that he can set the market?

The third tier guys like Quintana were only going to get a 1-year deal under 10 million so we can expect to see more of those types of signings, but not from the second tier class until Bauer signs?

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Do you guys think these second tier arms like Paxton, Tanaka and Odorizzi are waiting for Bauer to sign so that he can set the market?

The third tier guys like Quintana were only going to get a 1-year deal under 10 million so we can expect to see more of those types of signings, but not from the second tier class until Bauer signs?

I think Paxton and Tanaka are waiting, but that is because I think they are a step below Odorizzi.  They are a little older.  This is going to be a weird off season where there is going to be Bauer who gets 4-6 years, Odorizzi who gets 3 years and then everyone else will probably get 1 year deals.  I guess Paxton and Tanaka might get two.  Man the Yankees really do need to sign Tanaka, they have so many health question marks in their rotation.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I don't think Odorizzi is considerably better than Quintana -- at least the data says he's not.  Paxton is even more of an injury risk than Richards is and Tanaka's had an elbow people have been waiting to blow up for 3+ years.    Only one mildly worth considering on a multi year contract is Odorizzi.

There may be more upside there, but they really aren't a tier better than Quintana.

15 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

You know who I'm wondering about -- Walker. 

I get that the underlying data says he wasn't remotely as good as he ERA last year, but after going through the season without any mention or recurring issues and having maintained his velocity throughout I would have thought there would be a lot more demand for him given his age.

He's been one of those guy's that hasn't really been talked up much -- I wonder if those medicals are still scaring teams off.

13 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think those guys either want more AAV or another year or two on their contract and are waiting to sign until someone goes there. If not, they can always take the offer they have now, but they're probably hoping that teams will get desperate and meet that ask once the upper part of the market gets moving more.

I think Bauer signing could help them, but I think one of the second tier arms signing and limiting team's options could have a greater impact.

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't think Odorizzi is considerably better than Quintana -- at least the data says he's not.  Paxton is even more of an injury risk than Richards is and Tanaka's had an elbow people have been waiting to blow up for 3+ years.    Only one mildly worth considering on a multi year contract is Odorizzi.

There may be more upside there, but they really aren't a tier better than Quintana.

You know I've been a big proponent for signing Taijuan Walker. What are your thoughts on him @Inside Pitch over the likes of Odorizzi, Paxton and Tanaka should we miss out on Bauer?

The guy has the velocity back and pitched like a good #2 for the majority of the 2020 season. 

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I get that the underlying data says he wasn't remotely as good as he ERA last year, but after going through the season without any mention or recurring issues and having maintained his velocity throughout I would have thought there would be a lot more demand for him given his age.

He's been one of those guy's that hasn't really been talked up much -- I wonder if those medicals are still scaring teams off.

Ha. It is almost as if you knew I was going to talk about Walker next. lol

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

You know I've been a big proponent for signing Taijuan Walker. What are your thoughts on him @Inside Pitch over the likes of Odorizzi, Paxton and Tanaka should we miss out on Bauer?

The guy has the velocity back and pitched like a good #2 for the majority of the 2020 season. 

Ha!  I went over him while you were posting this.  I was big on getting him last year too until the word spread that the medicals were ugly.   But yeah, he managed to make it through the season, he managed to maintain his velocity -- he wasn't really as good as his ERA says  2.70 ERA .vs a 4.56 FIP but he certainly did enough to attract the sort of attention that Odorizzi has been getting... so why hasn't he?   It's wierd.

I also think it's worth noting that almost all of the free agent pitchers who've signed so far have only signed one year deals. Only Mike Minor and Chris Flexen have gotten two year deals.

Morton, Smyly, Kluber, Richards, Happ, Quintana, Ray, DeSclafani, Perez, Lester, Urena, Chatwood, Wacha, and Wood all got one year deals.

I'd imagine teams are just offering Odorizzi, Paxton, and Tanaka one year deals. Paxton may actually want a one year deal so he can rebuild his value and hit the FA market again, but he likely wants a high AAV which would be why he hasn't signed yet.

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I think those guys either want more AAV or another year or two on their contract and are waiting to sign until someone goes there. If not, they can always take the offer they have now, but they're probably hoping that teams will get desperate and meet that ask once the upper part of the market gets moving more.

I think Bauer signing could help them, but I think one of the second tier arms signing and limiting team's options could have a greater impact.

I think that's exactly what it is -- they want longer deals than have been offered.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Ha!  I went over him while you were posting this.  I was big on getting him last year too until the word spread that the medicals were ugly.   But yeah, he managed to make it through the season, he managed to maintain his velocity -- he wasn't really as good as his ERA says  2.70 ERA .vs a 4.56 FIP but he certainly did enough to attract the sort of attention that Odorizzi has been getting... so why hasn't he?   It's wierd.

Yeah, I mean he's 3 years younger than Odorizzi. You'd think he'd be talked more about. 

Let's be honest, almost every pitching acquisition is going to come with a risk -- especially those who have had surgery or issues in the past. 

I think that's why I think Bauer is a must sign. The guy has always been pretty healthy and incredibly durable with a long arm. 

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The problem with Walker is he's really only had 3 full seasons in his 8 years in the big leagues. Granted, he pitched all of last season but it was a shortened season. He's only made more than 12 starts 3 times in his career.

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The problem with Walker is he's really only had 3 full seasons in his 8 years in the big leagues. Granted, he pitched all of last season but it was a shortened season. He's only made more than 12 starts 3 times in his career.

Yep, I think his history plus whatever the hell is on those medicals is scaring teams off.  He may be a guy that goes one year at a time until he proves he can stay upright for a full season.   But it is interesting how little attention he's receieved..  then again, it may be teams looking at his underlying data and thinking -- he was closer to a 5.00 ERA guy than he was a 3.00 ERA guy -- which was also very true.