• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! AngelsWin.com - Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

• AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

Angels sign Jose Quintana (1 year, $8 million)

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1 year and 8 million for Quintana. How the hell did we give 11 million to Matt Harvey?

. . What a difference an hour makes.

Well we're due then! 

Posted Images

Honestly, I think they're out on Bauer, I really do. Before bumping into the luxury tax threshold, they're probably in the 15-20 million range right now, and still need another shut down reliever, another starting pitcher and another OF. 

I'm guessing something like Richards for 8, Greene for 6 and Goodwin for 4. 

I figure that group would be good for 90 wins. Certainly not the favorites in the West, but in the mix for a WC spot. It would be a disappointing off-season on the whole, but silver lining would be that future payroll still is in good shape and they wouldn't have to leverage the farm at all. Strong farm is the only path forward sustainable success.

I'd be disappointed, but I'd understand the logic behind it. On the surface it would feel like just another Billy Eppler off-season though.

Edited by Second Base
2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Honestly, I think they're out on Bauer, I really do. Before bumping into the luxury tax threshold, they're probably in the 15-20 million range right now, and still need another shut down reliever, another starting pitcher and another OF. 

I'm guessing something like Richards for 8, Greene for 6 and Goodwin for 4. 

Well that’s just not gonna cut it. We do not get to the playoffs next year if that’s all we do. Unless Ohtani becomes a legit ace and can stay healthy all year long and Bundy continues his domination from last year...

A lot of ifs.

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The people who were talking up Teheran were making the same mistake you are now -- they were looking at his ERA and not the predictive data.   

The two guys are nothing alike, Quintana's chances for future success aren't built on him completely remaking who he is as a pitcher.  Teheran had potential implosion written all over him, the red flags were numerous.

All that being said..  Quintana is not a front line guy, he's the second pitcher you add after you add an an actual difference maker.

This is why I follow IP. Straight up facts and no BS.

23 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The people who were talking up Teheran were making the same mistake you are now -- they were looking at his ERA and not the predictive data.   

The two guys are nothing alike, Quintana's chances for future success aren't built on him completely remaking who he is as a pitcher.  Teheran had potential implosion written all over him, the red flags were numerous.

All that being said..  Quintana is not a front line guy, he's the second pitcher you add after you add an an actual difference maker.

That's literally what I said. If a top rotation SP is added I like Quintana around the 4 spot on our rotation. Until we add a top SP I'm going to be skeptical of joy here. 

Just now, Second Base said:

If the Angels do sign Bauer, they're going over the luxury tax to do it, something Arte has been hesitant to do for over 15 years now. 

Didn’t he say at one time that he would go over for the right player?

Then again, we are in different times currently.

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

That's literally what I said. If a top rotation SP is added I like Quintana around the 4 spot on our rotation. Until we add a top SP I'm going to be skeptical of joy here. 

I just don't see any way they get a front of the rotation starter without doing something they've never done before, which is either exceed the luxury tax line, or gut what appears to be a very strong farm. Dipoto gutted the farm but it wasn't as deep as this one.

Hard to envision.

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Where does our payroll sit at the moment?

Last I checked, I believe it was @Dochalo that indicated they're about 25 million under that line. But that's up for interpretation too because luxury tax is calculated by AAV and isn't year to year and I believe Arte's eye is more on the year to year ops and budget. 

But if we pretend they're about equal, which is a stretch, then you're looking at the Angels probably having around 17 million left to play with. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Sign Bauer, then trade Canning and Adell for Castillo.  

Was just thinking how signing a guy like Quintana could make sense if you’re planning to deal Canning.

You don’t go over the luxury tax for Bauer and Quintana. 

You do go over the luxury tax for Bauer + Castillo. 

You could throw Fletcher into that trade with Adell and Canning and get back Gray too. Then sign Kolten Wong! (Obviously this would never happen)

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

You also compared Quintana to Teheran and you posted their ERAs to argue that Teheran had been better..    

We have no way of knowing how this will play out but the two pitchers are about as different as night and day.  There are no concerns about diminishing velocity.  The predictive data isn't predicting impending doom.  There is nothing in Quintana's history that makes one expect him to completely implode.

The ONLY thing Teheran had going for him was innings and an ERA that was masking his decline.   

Quintana is the exact opposite.

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Years ago, yeah. But actions speak louder than words and many right players have come and gone without him doing it. Not saying he wouldn't but it would be a first.

Edited by Second Base
1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

You also compared Quintana to Teheran and you posted their ERAs to argue that Teheran had been better..    

We have no way of knowing how this will play out but the two pitchers are about as different as night and day.  There are no concerns about diminishing velocity.  The predictive data isn't predicting impending doom.  There is nothing in Quintana's history that makes one expect him to completely implode.

The ONLY thing Teheran had going for him was innings and an ERA that was masking his decline.   

Also Quintana was a total badass pitching for Colombia in 2017 and shutting the USA down for 6 innings. Not that it means anything, but still pretty cool.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

I Love You Elf GIF by filmeditor

35 minutes ago, Hubs said:

They will not sign all those guys for the Pen. One of the two maybe. Or Justin Wilson or Jose Alvarez or Blake Parker. Or even Bedrosian. Don’t know what the budget will be after another starter and a Lefty OF.

The pen is currently Iglesias, Buttrey, Mayers, Claudio, Pena, Rivera, and Barria. There are two spots left. One will be Suarez or Reyes or Keller or the Jose Quijada.

The other could be a proven arm.

Walker is other starter

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

And we thought the schools were shut down.

Clearly, school IS IN SESSION.

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I don't know if Bauer is "the right guy.   But this is definitely "the right time".   

The Angels are a team on the edges of being good, with the potential to be good for a long time.  They have two established expensive players still in their primes -- they have enough youth scattered around the rest of the club to be able to talk about having a window.  What they need now is for their faith in the farm system finally turning it around to be rewarded.  A full minor league season from now, if Detmers and Rodriguez prove to be what many believe them to be then they have a young affordable rotation.  If Adell and Marsh simply develop into league average or better OFers then they have a core 4-5 batters that they can build around.

So..  maybe he isn't the right guy, but spending now is the right decision.   The key is avoiding the big mistake...