• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where do we go from here?

totdprods

10 hours ago, Lou said:

So one in the last 5 years.

I never said my list was comprehensive, but... Verlander and Greinke make 2 from my previous post ... and I was just pulling names off the top of my head.

There's more...

July 31, 2019: Trevor Bauer -Traded as part of a 3-team trade by the Cleveland Indians to the Cincinnati Reds

July 31, 2017: Sonny Gray - Traded by the Oakland Athletics with international bonus slot money to the New York Yankees

July 31, 2017: Yu Darvish -Traded by the Texas Rangers to the Los Angeles Dodgers

August 31, 2020: Mike Clevinger -Traded by the Cleveland Indians to the San Diego Padres

July 28, 2019: Marcus Stroman - Traded by the Toronto Blue Jays to the New York Mets

Again, I never said my list was comprehensive... just that front line starters can be acquired mid-season... and it happens often enough.

Edited by T.G.

I'm still checking in on Profar as a good option to fill out the lineup.  He's young and versatile.  Can play corner OF and pretty much any IF position.  Would give the team a lot of flexibility in case of injury or poor performance.  I would expect him to likely cost more than they'd be willing to spend but if his price drops to around 5m per, he'd be a really nice option.  

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I'm still checking in on Profar as a good option to fill out the lineup.  He's young and versatile.  Can play corner OF and pretty much any IF position.  Would give the team a lot of flexibility in case of injury or poor performance.  I would expect him to likely cost more than they'd be willing to spend but if his price drops to around 5m per, he'd be a really nice option.  

Yep. He was one of the guys I mentioned in my “spend the money” post. 

Looks like it's down to Options 2A or 2B.

At this point, I think I'd rather see the Angels just sign one of Odorizzi or Walker, nab a reliever or two, and one of Naquin, Mazara, or Goodwin for OF, instead of trading for an arm. Doesn't seem like anyone is realistically available for a fair price. Castillo, Gray, Marquez, and Hendricks will cost a fortune. Would rather save our bullets and see how the season transpires with both the virus and minor leaguers developing. Sign some guys that can be flipped if we fall out. 

Pretty slim odds of Option 1 or 3 at this point, though I suppose there's always a chance if Bauer doesn't have anyone rushing to him we somehow enter the mix, and same could be said of some scenario where someone like Ozuna or Puig lands in RF, or some other impact trade develops, but not seeing much of a chance on any of those fronts.

15 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Unless his market has blown up, I’d probably go with Odorizzi on a 3 year deal....not terribly exciting but if he’d give you anything close to his 2019 year with the Twins, he’d be a good get....

Underwhelming as it is to say, given how Heaney, Bundy and Quintana are free agents, and how the rest of our rotation is rookies and injury concerns, I'd be perfectly fine if he was just a steady 30 GS/180 IP/4.25 ERA guy for two or three years. 

Doc mentioned that he’s not feeling bringing in Odorizzi.

I kind of get it, if indeed he’s looking for 3 years/$45 million.

But on a little less deal, he makes sense.   I keep on going back to reading where Odorizzi visited a pitching guru in Florida after the 2018 season.   He gained a couple of mph and proceeded to have his best MLB season.   The one caveat is making just 4 starts in 2020.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 7:32 AM, Angel Oracle said:

Doc mentioned that he’s not feeling bringing in Odorizzi.

I kind of get it, if indeed he’s looking for 3 years/$45 million.

But on a little less deal, he makes sense.   I keep on going back to reading where Odorizzi visited a pitching guru in Florida after the 2018 season.   He gained a couple of mph and proceeded to have his best MLB season.   The one caveat is making just 4 starts in 2020.

Fluke injuries or long term concerns?

I had no idea that the last free agent starter signed by the Angels to a multi-year deal was Joe Blanton eight years ago. 

I mean that tells a big part of the story for Angels in 2010-2020, doesn't it? A very disappointing era of Angels baseball where everyone could see the answer to the problem, except maybe the GM.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I had no idea that the last free agent starter signed by the Angels to a multi-year deal was Joe Blanton eight years ago. 

I mean that tells a big part of the story for Angels in 2010-2020, doesn't it? A very disappointing era of Angels baseball where everyone could see the answer to the problem, except maybe the GM.

everyone could see it in retrospect when most of the options got injured.  Even the GM

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

And the owner?