Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! AngelsWin.com - Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

  • AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

Angels sign Kurt Suzuki (1 year, $1.5 million)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good signing, but we're just going to want another one in an hour. 

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Do you guys think this attracts the likes of Bauer and other FA pitchers more now that we have a veteran catcher who has worked with some of the best over the years and is known for his pitch framing and overall defense?

Not as much as if they add a zero to their current offers to those pitchers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Do you guys think this attracts the likes of Bauer and other FA pitchers more now that we have a veteran catcher who has worked with some of the best over the years and is known for his pitch framing and overall defense?

Ha. Kurt Suzuki? 

No. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Do you guys think this attracts the likes of Bauer and other FA pitchers more now that we have a veteran catcher who has worked with some of the best over the years and is known for his pitch framing and overall defense?

Probably not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Do you guys think this attracts the likes of Bauer and other FA pitchers more now that we have a veteran catcher who has worked with some of the best over the years and is known for his pitch framing and overall defense?

Yes

Link to post
Share on other sites

Suzuki gives back some of that value defensively, where he’s never thrived as a thrower or pitch framer. Per Statcast, Suzuki has been 13 runs below-average as a framer over the past three seasons, while his 15.1% caught stealing rate in that time is one of the league’s worst marks. Nevertheless, his offense-first skill set pairs well with the Angels’ in-house catchers.

What sad times these are when people are getting excited over a 37 year old catcher that had his best bWAR at age 24.  Realmuto is so much better than he is. I hope the Angels at least offered him a contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Do you guys think this attracts the likes of Bauer and other FA pitchers more now that we have a veteran catcher who has worked with some of the best over the years and is known for his pitch framing and overall defense?

I mean now that we're set at catcher it will certainly help pitchers feel more certain. But I don't think Suzuki is moving the needle much. 

Whomever gets Realmuto on the other hand....

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I mean now that we're set at catcher it will certainly help pitchers feel more certain. But I don't think Suzuki is moving the needle much. 

Whomever gets Realmuto on the other hand....

I don't get this, can you elaborate? We didn't really need Reamuto's bat, although it would be nice. But adding a known defensive first catcher who can also provide solid totals on offense ... that would seem to be attractive to a would be FA pitcher knowing that they'll have two damn good catchers (once Stassi is back) to throw to who also provide a little offense as well. 

My point is, if I'm a FA knowing that the team's starting catcher going into the season is a career minor leaguer in Bemboom or say another major league established catcher and the money is close to the same, I would think the free agent pitcher would sign with the team who has a veteran backstop over a nobody to throw to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Suzuki gives back some of that value defensively, where he’s never thrived as a thrower or pitch framer. Per Statcast, Suzuki has been 13 runs below-average as a framer over the past three seasons, while his 15.1% caught stealing rate in that time is one of the league’s worst marks. Nevertheless, his offense-first skill set pairs well with the Angels’ in-house catchers.

What sad times these are when people are getting excited over a 37 year old catcher that had his best bWAR at age 24.  Realmuto is so much better than he is. I hope the Angels at least offered him a contract.

Realmuto would have been great, but that's a significant amount of payroll not going towards pitching. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I don't get this, can you elaborate? We didn't really need Reamuto's bat, although it would be nice. But adding a known defensive first catcher who can also provide solid totals on offense ... that would seem to be attractive to a would be FA pitcher knowing that they'll have two damn good catchers (once Stassi is back) to throw to who also provide a little offense as well. 

My point is, if I'm a FA knowing that the team's starting catcher going into the season is a career minor leaguer in Bemboom or say another major league established catcher and the money is close to the same, I would think the free agent pitcher would sign with the team who has a veteran backstop over a nobody to throw to. 

Realmuto is a better defensive catcher than Suzuki. He's a way better hitter. 

It also shows pitchers that the team is willing to spend. 

If I were a pitcher, I'd rather be throwing to Realmuto than Suzuki.

BTW I love the Suzuki signing. I just don't believe pitchers are going to be like "oh shit they got Suzuki i gotta pitch there!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Realmuto is a better defensive catcher than Suzuki. He's a way better hitter. 

It also shows pitchers that the team is willing to spend. 

If I were a pitcher, I'd rather be throwing to Realmuto than Suzuki.

BTW I love the Suzuki signing. I just don't believe pitchers are going to be like "oh shit they got Suzuki i gotta pitch there!"

Yeah that wasn't my point. My point being that it helps because prior to Suzuki we had Bemboom. 

There was absolutely no way we could have signed Realmuto and paid big $$$ for FA pitching. It would leave us having to trade our prospect capital to add SP. Which I'm against being that the FA SP market is deep. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...