• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Kurt Suzuki (1 year, $1.5 million)

mmc

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Do you guys think this attracts the likes of Bauer and other FA pitchers more now that we have a veteran catcher who has worked with some of the best over the years and is known for his pitch framing and overall defense?

Probably not.

11 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Do you guys think this attracts the likes of Bauer and other FA pitchers more now that we have a veteran catcher who has worked with some of the best over the years and is known for his pitch framing and overall defense?

Yes

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Good signing. I'm looking forward to fans turning on him after he goes 1-for-11 over a 3-game stretch.

Narrator: "and with that slow start, chants of Su-SUCK-ee could be heard throughout orange county neighborhoods."

Suzuki gives back some of that value defensively, where he’s never thrived as a thrower or pitch framer. Per Statcast, Suzuki has been 13 runs below-average as a framer over the past three seasons, while his 15.1% caught stealing rate in that time is one of the league’s worst marks. Nevertheless, his offense-first skill set pairs well with the Angels’ in-house catchers.

What sad times these are when people are getting excited over a 37 year old catcher that had his best bWAR at age 24.  Realmuto is so much better than he is. I hope the Angels at least offered him a contract.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I mean now that we're set at catcher it will certainly help pitchers feel more certain. But I don't think Suzuki is moving the needle much. 

Whomever gets Realmuto on the other hand....

10 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I mean now that we're set at catcher it will certainly help pitchers feel more certain. But I don't think Suzuki is moving the needle much. 

Whomever gets Realmuto on the other hand....

I don't get this, can you elaborate? We didn't really need Reamuto's bat, although it would be nice. But adding a known defensive first catcher who can also provide solid totals on offense ... that would seem to be attractive to a would be FA pitcher knowing that they'll have two damn good catchers (once Stassi is back) to throw to who also provide a little offense as well. 

My point is, if I'm a FA knowing that the team's starting catcher going into the season is a career minor leaguer in Bemboom or say another major league established catcher and the money is close to the same, I would think the free agent pitcher would sign with the team who has a veteran backstop over a nobody to throw to. 

5 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Suzuki gives back some of that value defensively, where he’s never thrived as a thrower or pitch framer. Per Statcast, Suzuki has been 13 runs below-average as a framer over the past three seasons, while his 15.1% caught stealing rate in that time is one of the league’s worst marks. Nevertheless, his offense-first skill set pairs well with the Angels’ in-house catchers.

What sad times these are when people are getting excited over a 37 year old catcher that had his best bWAR at age 24.  Realmuto is so much better than he is. I hope the Angels at least offered him a contract.

Realmuto would have been great, but that's a significant amount of payroll not going towards pitching. 

14 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I don't get this, can you elaborate? We didn't really need Reamuto's bat, although it would be nice. But adding a known defensive first catcher who can also provide solid totals on offense ... that would seem to be attractive to a would be FA pitcher knowing that they'll have two damn good catchers (once Stassi is back) to throw to who also provide a little offense as well. 

My point is, if I'm a FA knowing that the team's starting catcher going into the season is a career minor leaguer in Bemboom or say another major league established catcher and the money is close to the same, I would think the free agent pitcher would sign with the team who has a veteran backstop over a nobody to throw to. 

Realmuto is a better defensive catcher than Suzuki. He's a way better hitter. 

It also shows pitchers that the team is willing to spend. 

If I were a pitcher, I'd rather be throwing to Realmuto than Suzuki.

BTW I love the Suzuki signing. I just don't believe pitchers are going to be like "oh shit they got Suzuki i gotta pitch there!"

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Realmuto is a better defensive catcher than Suzuki. He's a way better hitter. 

It also shows pitchers that the team is willing to spend. 

If I were a pitcher, I'd rather be throwing to Realmuto than Suzuki.

BTW I love the Suzuki signing. I just don't believe pitchers are going to be like "oh shit they got Suzuki i gotta pitch there!"

Yeah that wasn't my point. My point being that it helps because prior to Suzuki we had Bemboom. 

There was absolutely no way we could have signed Realmuto and paid big $$$ for FA pitching. It would leave us having to trade our prospect capital to add SP. Which I'm against being that the FA SP market is deep. 

17 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Hes an impact player at a position lacking them.  For me its that simple.
Defensive Cs arent hard to find, one that checks all the boxes, yeah, much harder.