• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

More pitchers coming off the board, are you worried yet?

Angels 1961

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, I will go back to your initial question, why have we waited.  The obvious reason why we have waited is because the price is too high for any starting pitcher on the free agent market.  We have waited just like all 30 teams have waited on the free agent pitching market.  Those prices are not going to go up the closer we get to spring training, they never do.  The supply for quality free agent pitching is exactly the same as it was when free agency started.  

OK so just being argumentative... got it.  

27 minutes ago, floplag said:

Except you ignored the part you actually highlighted.
I did not say because of Musgrave, i said every one of these guys that signs he gets more expensive, or, simply supply and demand. 
You should know this.

LOL..  Supply and demand is a two part equation. 

As guys get signed, theoretically demand also lessens.  This has never been more true than during a time when teams are all claiming to be poor because of lost revenue in 2020 and potentially, 2021.    

Bauer's market is it's own.  He's in his own class as a FA and a big reason why is because few teams can afford him at what was his established asking prices.

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, I will go back to your initial question, why have we waited.  The obvious reason why we have waited is because the price is too high for any starting pitcher on the free agent market.  We have waited just like all 30 teams have waited on the free agent pitching market.  Those prices are not going to go up the closer we get to spring training, they never do.  The supply for quality free agent pitching is exactly the same as it was when free agency started.  

Or you know, it doesn't matter what the Angels or any of the other 29 MLB teams want, it's his decision to make and he hasn't made it yet.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Or you know, it doesn't matter what the Angels or any of the other 29 MLB teams want, it's his decision to make and he hasn't made it yet.

Right.  Bauer or any free agent can be signed today.  Every single one of them.  Hell Bauer can go and get $100 million guaranteed by noon today, all he has to do is go to one of 10 teams and say he wants $100 million over 5 years and the teams willing to sign him for that will be long.  Off the top of my head here are the teams that would sign him for that amount:

Padres

Angels

Dodgers

Giants

A’s (if there isn’t a no trade clause)

Mariners

White Sox

Twins

Cleveland (if there isn’t a no trade clause)

Tigers

Red Sox

Yankees

Blue Jays

Mets

Braves

Nationals

Cardinals

Brewers

Marlins

and I am sure I am missing a few.  

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

This is obviously a difficult concept for most fans to grasp.

I'm no longer concerned. I think our aim was off in the first place. It seems the Angels goal from the beginning was to be able to bring in two back end starters, not unlike Eppler with Bundy-Teheran or Harvey-Cahill. 

Minasian has brought in Quintana and I trust he'll bring in another, likely Odorizzi or Tanaka. 

If his goal was to be able to bring in a pitcher to pitch at the front of the rotation and be a game changer, then my concern would be through the roof. The Angels failed to do that, if they tried. If they didn't try then they didn't fail, they were just wrong in their assessment of team needs. 

Bauer is still out there I guess. I'm just not seeing a whole lot of reason to believe he will sign here. It's like Adrian Beltre all over again. Everyone knew the Angels needed him and had the money and given the amount of time he spent in So-Cal that winter, it certainly didn't seem he minded being in the area, and yet Reagins managed to blow it. That one haunted them every year until he retired. 

Bauer is a So-Cal native, the Angels employ his former pitching coach which may or may not be a benefit, Bauer is familiar with their trainers and seems to have quirks that Joe Maddon would actually really admire. The Angels have the money and certainly have the need, and yet something tells me it's not going to happen. 

Edited by Second Base

9 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm no longer concerned. I think our aim was off in the first place. It seems the Angels goal from the beginning was to be able to bring in two back end starters, not unlike Eppler with Bundy-Teheran or Harvey-Cahill. 

Yeah, I think this is the biggest thing.

The availability of guys like Darvish, Musgrove, and Snell and the rumored availability of Castillo and Gray made fans, myself included, become enamored with one of those guys. In all likelihood, it was likely never a real focus for the Angels. I'm sure they checked in, but they just don't have the farm system other teams do.