• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Victor Rojas' Play By Play Replacement

Hubs

45 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I figured if I just asked “How much do cricket announcers make?” I wouldn’t get an answer. 

But... If I made a snarky comment, you would call me on it by looking up the answer!

Um, it's common knowledge.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

What part about "made $3 million a year in his last three seasons of broadcasting..." was confusing? 

I was making sure you typed it right. That’s more than I’ve seen reported for anyone anywhere. The Yankees Michael Kay makes 1m per. Vin is worth it though I guess.

9 hours ago, Trendon said:

According to this story, Gary Thorne was let go by the Orioles.

I wonder if he becomes an option for the Angels PBP job

https://theathletic.com/2340440/2021/01/22/sources-masn-planning-major-programming-and-personnel-cuts-for-2021-season/

He's 72. Gotta think the Angels would be looking for someone younger so they can make a longer-term investment in them. 

Edited by jsnpritchett

If Gary Thorne is available - we should grab him

He could also do some Ducks games.

He's a great hockey play by play guy and really versatile and good at all sports.

If the Angels can get Gary Thorne - what's the wait?

As for Victor Rojas - really sorry to see him retiring early but I understand his reasoning,.

Ironically - for the upcoming season - the Angels probably could have accommodated Rojas announcing the road games from sitting in front of a video feed and make shift studio in his Texas home -- that may be the way of the near future (in fact some teams may decide - 'what a great cost savings idea -- why ever put our PBP and baseball analyst on the road again and incur those expenses !! - not the same but a huge decrease in travel expense !) 

I liked Rojas and thought he did well for us -- I like Terry Smith but if we could get a Gary Thorne - that would be great.

Thorne more an East Coast /perhaps even North of the Border guy - maybe he's at a point in his life where he is ready for better weather?

19 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

He's 72. Gotta think the Angels would be looking for someone younger so they can make a longer-term investment in them. 

Geez - time flies - Thorne is 72 ?? Always seemed like the young hockey announcer to me -- geez Thorne isn't the only one getting old.  I always liked Thorne on the NHL broadcasts.

at 72 - we probably need someone younger who can become the long time voice of the Halos -- I thought that was Victor Rojas !! He's  retiring way too soon.  

About ten years plus back now (has it been that long?) the SF Giants added a young Dave Fleming to their broadcast team - what a find !!! IMO he's about the best in the business today.

We need to find a Dave Fleming who was - I think 26 or so - when the Giants hired him.

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Fabian Ardaya commented on a Q&A the other day that it's a really highly sought after job given how rarely an MLB play by play job opens up in SoCal. That gives me hope they won't do something stupid like hand the job over to Mota or Trent Rush. 

I hope/think that Arte knows that whoever they hire is essentially a face of Angels baseball. So I'd imagine he's going to be smart and try and get someone of real good quality.

On 1/23/2021 at 4:39 PM, disarcina said:

Geez - time flies - Thorne is 72 ?? Always seemed like the young hockey announcer to me -- geez Thorne isn't the only one getting old.  I always liked Thorne on the NHL broadcasts.

at 72 - we probably need someone younger who can become the long time voice of the Halos -- I thought that was Victor Rojas !! He's  retiring way too soon.  

About ten years plus back now (has it been that long?) the SF Giants added a young Dave Fleming to their broadcast team - what a find !!! IMO he's about the best in the business today.

We need to find a Dave Fleming who was - I think 26 or so - when the Giants hired him.

If Rojas had stayed and finished his career with the team, do you think he would have been inducted to the Hall as a broadcaster?