• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels GM Perry Minasian waits patiently for market to get moving

I think Minasian's comment about "things happen when they happen" is fine as long as he still accomplishes his goals that he had heading into the offseason by the time ST starts.

If the Angels get the two starters, relievers, catcher, and outfield depth they need by ST, it doesn't matter what order it happened in.

The problem is if the "things" that happen aren't what you wanted to happen because you waited to long.

To me, it sounds like Minasian knows his options and is just waiting for things to come together. There are still options out there, so I don't think fans need to go into full panic mode yet. But if everyone starts to sign over the next few weeks and they've stood still, then panic.

This is another one of those "what the fuck else is he supposed to say" things. 

"We've made offers on Bauer and Odorizzi, and are discussing trades for Contreras and Musgrove, so hopefully things start falling into place soon." Does that sound like a good thing to say? Because that would be pants-on-head stupid.

Things can happen in your timeline, if you make them. The Padres did it because they were aggressive. Maybe Minasian didn't want Darvish or Snell. Or maybe he wasn't aggressive enough. The return price for Darvish didn't appear to be steep at all, so Minasian likely could've paid it no problem.

I know as a fan, I'd feel a lot better about the off-season if Snell and Darvish were at the front of our rotation. 

Still, I'll hold judgment. It's not looking great at the moment, but as we saw with Prellar, once a GM is ready, things can happen fast.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

And right in between those two is “it was time to go ahead make the move on the player we wanted.”

This isn’t like going shopping at the mall.  You can’t just buy the player when you are ready without over paying.  The player also has to be ready.  I’m guessing the Angels have talked money with pitchers by now.  It’s also likely that there are players that have been offered more money then they will end up getting. 

11 hours ago, Stradling said:

This isn’t like going shopping at the mall.  You can’t just buy the player when you are ready without over paying.  The player also has to be ready.  I’m guessing the Angels have talked money with pitchers by now.  It’s also likely that there are players that have been offered more money then they will end up getting. 

You don’t understand what I said I guess.

The waiting, while at times prudent, may end up costing us.
So far there is no sign of last season lost revenues affecting contracts, by waiting were letting other people set the market.
Weve done this year, after year, after year, and we keep getting priced out.
At some point maybe a different strategy, more aggression, might be in order?
They have to know who they want and what they want to pay, put it out there, get it done, before all of a sudden everyone's costs goes up 25% or more.

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

During times throughout the year especially with this pitching staff, it could come in handy

if he can prove the logic, why not?
Hes as into analytics as anyone, if the math is sound, and the physical impact is not excessive, why not?
I dont think a lot of guys could do it, but if he can actually prove he can, there's no downside to having one of you best guys get what 5-10 more starts per year?

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Maybe Arte needs to stop trying for the most expensive pitcher and ho for the next ones done.

This waiting has caused failure with the pitching staff for back a few years.

Just make Bauer your take it or leave it offer, and move on!

Yeah, this is where i am at this point, this stuff is dragging out and no one is getting cheaper by waiting. 
I know no one wants to hear it but there are many ways to build this club.  Everyone wants pitching, i get it, i do to, but if it isnt there or we cant afford it then you have to be open to options.
My preferred plan has always been build the offense and bullpen, get the tier two SP, and go.  Shorten the games to 5 or 6 innings with a lockdown pen, outscore the bastards 🙂  but i know thats not the preferred view of most.