• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell or Brandon Marsh?

OttoDog

1 minute ago, OttoDog said:

Who would you chose and why?

We're working on an extensive prospect list & report from about 8 of us behind the scenes. 

We should have that feature deployed here in the next couple weeks. Stay tuned! 

I would answer but then I'd reveal my choice. 😉 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

We're working on an extensive prospect list & report from about 8 of us behind the scenes. 

Next, you're going to ask us to watch your vlog... give us hints on Twitter... have your agent drop hints and then Jon Heyman will spew a bunch of lies about your possible choice.  I see how this works.

Who would I chose to what? Who's the best? Or who to trade?

Honestly I'd trade Adell over Marsh. 

Marsh might be more projectable and Adell has the 'potential' to be an All Star player. I'll take solid and projectable all day than a potential all-star. At least in the times the Angels are in. If it was a rebuild then I'd keep Adell all day and let him grow.  

Look at the Chris Sale/Red Sox trade back in 2016. The main package was Yoan Moncada and Michael Kopech. So far, Moncada had one year (2019) of really good offense and Kopech throws gas but was out with TJ and mental health issues.
The point being you just never know how a prospect will turn out. It's a risk to trade and a risk to keep. 

Would I like to keep both? 100%. Do I realize one might need to go to get us some pitching? 100%. 

Normally i would say whichever one earns the job, of course the problem there is that whoever doesnt, their trade value crashes.
Marsh is probably the safe bet, Adell has the higher ceiling possibility. 
Do you ask out the girl you know or try to sneak into the supermodels DMs, lol 
Im not going to hold a small sample against Adell at this point, thats silly, but i think it did illustrate that maybe he isnt as close as we hoped and still has a lot to learn?  He looked lost a lot in RF, and while thats may not his preferred spot its where we have need so, it is what it is.

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

Normally i would say whichever one earns the job, of course the problem there is that whoever doesnt, their trade value crashes.
Marsh is probably the safe bet, Adell has the higher ceiling possibility. 
Do you ask out the girl you know or try to sneak into the supermodels DMs, lol 
Im not going to hold a small sample against Adell at this point, thats silly, but i think it did illustrate that maybe he isnt as close as we hoped and still has a lot to learn?  He looked lost a lot in RF, and while thats may not his preferred spot its where we have need so, it is what it is.

I think using sample size is silly for batting, but defense is defense. He was lost. It wasn't bad luck or sample size. He probably needs an entire year in AAA before even being considered in 2022

22 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I think using sample size is silly for batting, but defense is defense. He was lost. It wasn't bad luck or sample size. He probably needs an entire year in AAA before even being considered in 2022

Yes, he does and he did last year but all he got was a month of a practice squad. This is why nothing from 2020 can be used for predictive purposes. 

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

I agree with this as noted in my post.
Our immediate need is someone who can actually play RF.  If he cant, the he sits on the farm learning while someone else does, its that simple.
I still like the idea of signing a RF to buy them both time if it can be done, a Pederson/Puig type.  I know most here hate Puig and i get why, but a guy like that with something to prove could be very dangerous to opposing teams.   He could likely be had on a one year, makes a lot of sense from a purely baseball perspective, although i understand the opposition.  Pederson likely will take a 2-3 year i think, maybe not, who knows. 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

I agree with this as noted in my post.
Our immediate need is someone who can actually play RF.  If he cant, the he sits on the farm learning while someone else does, its that simple.
I still like the idea of signing a RF to buy them both time if it can be done, a Pederson/Puig type.  I know most here hate Puig and i get why, but a guy like that with something to prove could be very dangerous to opposing teams.   He could likely be had on a one year, makes a lot of sense from a purely baseball perspective, although i understand the opposition.  Pederson likely will take a 2-3 year i think, maybe not, who knows. 

I also suggested Puig. Realistically he probably has one more chance in MLB and perhaps the team that signs him on a cheap 1 year deal gets a well behaved incredible talent. 

Overall I consider our outfield a potentially huge weakness and it's not often talked about. Goodwin provided a ton of depth. Upton is a wild card as I could imagine him thriving, playing average, or being horrifically bad. Adell not ready.  

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

I also suggested Puig. Realistically he probably has one more chance in MLB and perhaps the team that signs him on a cheap 1 year deal gets a well behaved incredible talent. 

Overall I consider our outfield a potentially huge weakness and it's not often talked about. Goodwin provided a ton of depth. Upton is a wild card as I could imagine him thriving, playing average, or being horrifically bad. Adell not ready.  

Well even if we sign a RF, the kids are going to get a chance unless Upton finds the fountain of youth.  I hope he does, but realistically we can expect him to miss some time. 
Heck bring back Goodwin even, make a run at Brantley, all kids of options but they must be able to play RF effectively and plug that gap for at least 1 year.  I would be ok with 2-3 pending the who as we all know Upton will be doing a lot of DHing next year to finish his run so even assuming one of the kids takes over in 22, theres still the other side. . 

3 hours ago, OttoDog said:

Who would you chose and why?

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

As the man compiling the lists of the Prospect Posse, I will say that we're split on this issue - and it is very close. But to see who we collectively feel is the top Angels prospect, stay tuned...

3 hours ago, OttoDog said:

Sorry, I meant chose to keep and play right field as a starting regular. 

Adell has flashier skills, or at least athleticism and pure power. But Marsh will hit for a higher average, draw more walks, is a better defender, and is about as fast. Marsh has a higher floor and is less likely to be a disappointment, while Adell might have a slightly higher ceiling, although I'm not entirely sure.

I love @Angel Oracle's mention of Edmonds, who I think represents a best-case scenario for Marsh, and one that is actually somewhat possible. The two have a somewhat similar profile, although Marsh is faster.

Edmonds his .315/.382/.492 with 9 HR in 95 AAA games in 1993 at age 23. That's about what we might have expected last year from Marsh in AAA, and maybe what we'll see this year. Edmonds' power didn't blossom until his second year in the majors, when he hit 33 HR in 1995 at age 25. From 1995-98 (age 25-28) he accrued 18.3 WAR, which is an average of about 4.6 per year. Pretty much the definition of borderline star. After an injury-riddled year in 1999, he was traded to the Cardinals where he saw another performance spike. From 2000-05 he averaged 6.7 WAR per season, making him a bonafide superstar and borderline MVP candidate, even if he was a bit underrated playing alongside Albert Pujols and, for a time, Mark McGwire and Scott Rolen. 

I don't think we can expect Marsh or anyone to become a 6+ WAR player. I'd say Edmonds is his high-end project and unlikely to happen. But it is possible. But even if we tone it down a bit, I can see him quickly becoming a 3-4 WAR player, and then maturing into a 5 WAR guy, hitting something like .290/.850 with 25 HR, 20 SB, and a solid amount of walks, maybe more HR down the line. 

If you imagine a best-of-all-worlds scenario for Adell, the pure talent is there to hit 40 HR with a decent average and some SB. But his chance of struggling is also greater and he'll likely take longer to reach his potential.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Marsh seems to have Edmonds’ skill set. Don’t trade him.

I’d hate trading anyone, but after having him hopefully rebound at AAA in 2021, I’d be fine with trading Adell as long as Adams continues his trajectory.

That comparison ... you know, I didn't blurt out "oh, come *on*"  - no way I've seen Marsh enough to go *there* - but it's a nice thought, and doesn't seem crazy, at least.  

Adams seems like an amazing athlete - and the fact he can actually put the bat on the ball - so far - makes me really want to see what he can do (we've drafted a lot of those super-athletic guys who just couldn't hit) - I'd like to give him another year to be more sure of what he's going to do - but that's always the case - don't want to hang on to some flash in the pan one season too long ... 

I kind of wish I hadn't seen Adell - I know he was way too young, but the game looks too fast for him - I remember seeing young Mike Trout in 2011 in Baltimore, and he was barely 20 years old, and after watching him awhile, I turned to my daughter and said "See that kid?  A lot of people think he might someday be one of the best players to ever play the game" - he didn't do a lot that night - but you could just see something about him that made those Mantle comparisons seem not insane, that made me feel I could say that out loud.  

Anyway, I want to keep both, but at the moment, between Adell and Marsh?  I feel safer keeping Marsh  - I feel like Adell has the higher risk of flaming out - thankfully, not the guy paid to make that decision.