• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Sweet Interview Yesterday

I interviewed for 6 or 7 different jobs last year including twice for the same job (once as a contractor and once as a full timer) so I have a full notebook of answers to how I resolved problems, conflicts in the workplace, how I prioritize and organize my work, describing my perceived strengths and weaknesses, etc. Looking back now, I wish I had had some answers like that for a few of those interviewers.

Went to a memorial service for my wife's uncle yesterday. When his future son in law came to ask permission to marry his only daughter, uncle Jim asked him a very pointed question: if you're painting a room, and you want it to be green but my daughter wants it to be yellow, what do you do? They talked for two hours on stuff like this.

Edgar answered that he'd probably go with his wife's choice since it was probably more important to her than to him. Uncle Jim gave his blessing.

On one interview we asked the applicants if they had ever been fired from a job or been asked to resign in lieu of termination. One applicant went into a long, drawn out story about how his wife had excessive menstrual bleeding, he called his boss on her cell phone, she claimed not to get the message and she fired him for no-call, no-show. This might have been a simple case of too much information, except for one thing: We were interviewing the wife two slots after him. When he walked out of the room, I asked one of the other panelists, "Think we ought to ask her how the menstrual bleeding problem is coming along?"

There was one other occasion that I recall us interviewing a husband and wife during the same interview. In this case, the wife interviewed first and did well. The husband was a cretin. We asked the question about the reasons he was interested in a position in correctional nursing. His answer: "I want to keep an eye on my wife." I thought to myself, "Great. Let's bring that family dynamic into our workplace." He seemed like the kind of guy who would be waiting in the parking lot with a firearm after work one day because he decided that one of us was hitting on her.

Reminds me of this one:

Interviewer:  "What do you consider your greatest weakness?"

Interviewee:  "Honesty."

Interviewer: "I don't consider honesty as a weakness."

Interviewee:  "I don't give a f*ck what you think."

awesome

I interviewed for 6 or 7 different jobs last year including twice for the same job (once as a contractor and once as a full timer) so I have a full notebook of answers to how I resolved problems, conflicts in the workplace, how I prioritize and organize my work, describing my perceived strengths and weaknesses, etc. Looking back now, I wish I had had some answers like that for a few of those interviewers.

The best interview advice I ever received was similar to your approach. I keep a notebook as well. It has helped me immensely. Most companies use the STAR interview (Situation / Task, Action, Result). Keeping your answers in that format is best.

I would love to figure out when I am in an interview that won't result in an offer ( like they are going through the motions but have someone else picked). Be nice to mess with them.

• 1 month later...

Not quite on the same level but...

I was interviewing a guy today and after 30 minutes of him complaining about how my company does things he explained to me that when he is on the phone with an upset customer "look, you may be upset with how I am comin' at you, but I am always gonna be um... like um... professional with how I respond to you, like so."

It has been a long week already and it is only Wednesday.  I need to hire 22 people by August 13th.

Not quite on the same level but...

I was interviewing a guy today and after 30 minutes of him complaining about how my company does things he explained to me that when he is on the phone with an upset customer "look, you may be upset with how I am comin' at you, but I am always gonna be um... like um... professional with how I respond to you, like so."

It has been a long week already and it is only Wednesday.  I need to hire 22 people by August 13th.

You need 22 people to cover for you moving to Wisconsin? Awesome.

Not sure I can do it justice in a post. It was amazing!

I along with one of the supervisors who works for me are interviewing a guy for a full-time position yesterday.

One of the questions we ask all applicants has to do with procrastination.

Me: "Everyone procrastinates at times. Please give me an example of something you procrastinate on."

Him (sitting up straight, shirt and tie, fingers crossed): "Easy - calling a bitch back after I hit it."

I'm at work and they are interviewing for positions and I show the post supervisors this and they were seriously discussing how at least the guy was honest.