• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

With their first pick, Angels select LHP Hunter Green

Green said he will sign!

@zach_greenwell: Green said he plans to bypass college and accept Angels' deal, will talk details with them Friday. His full comments coming later tonight.

Green: "You mean the team that spends money like a drunken sailor wants to sign me? Where do I sign?"

From BP:

40. Hunter Green, LHP, Warren East HS, Bowling Green (Ky.)
With his lanky, projectable, athletic frame, Green’s talent was evident a year ago, when he ranked only as the second-best high school pitching prospect in the state at the time. With a more mature, confident approach to pitching, along with better command of his raw stuff, the 6-foot-4, 180-pound Green has leap-frogged Woodford County High right-hander Clint Hollon, along with every other prospect in Kentucky, to emerge as a potential first-rounder in this year’s draft. Green had a shaky outing in unusually rough weather in his first appearance of the 2013 season, but got progressively better and didn’t allow a run in his next eight starts while compiling a 3-1, 0.15 record overall, along with 30 walks and 101 strikeouts in 46 innings. A lack of run support has cost him several wins. Unable to throw strikes consistently a year ago, Green has pounded the zone more routinely this spring with a fastball that has ranged anywhere from 87-95 mph, and gets good arm-side run coming from a low three-quarters angle. He also has demonstrated better feel for his sharp, biting curve and sinking changeup, though still needs to work out some wrinkles in his delivery that impact his command of those pitches. His arm works extremely free and easy, however, and Green profiles as a left-handed starter with plus pitchability.

Hunter Green | LHP | Warren East HS (Bowling Green, KY)
Height/Weight: 6-foot-4/185 pounds
B/T: L/L
Draft Day Age: 17 years, 11 months

(PGN)

Green is a projectable lefty who has already seen his velocity climb to mid-90s at times this spring, and there is a chance for him to discover even more as he continues to hang bulk on his long, broad frame. The Kentucky commit utilizes a simple step-in to kick off his motion and creates arm speed through good shoulder/hip separation. He gets good extension out of his long legs and arms, helping his fastball to jump on hitters. There is some cleanup to be done in his tempo and balance, each of which can lead to inconsistent strides and release points, and occasional fall-off to his glove side.

While he boasts three pitches with average or better potential, and enough room in his stuff to see each grow into true plus offerings, his control and execution lag behind his pure stuff. Green’s profile as a projectable lefty with a chance to sport plus velocity to go with two quality secondaries should be in high demand later this week, and the Blue Grass standout could come off the board as early as the first round.

This announcement was made by Angels’ Director of Scouting Ric Wilson.

“Hunter Green is a pitcher we liked tremendously and we are thrilled to select him”, said Wilson.  â€œHe has a good size, a young loose arm and a high ceiling.  We project him as a starter as he has many Major League starting pitcher traits.”

A couple of draft related questions:

Should he not sign or go to Kentucky, how long do we retain his rights?

Can someone explain slots to me? I heard it here with signing him and with the Royals who seemed to greatly reach for Dozier, but then made sense because of a slot.

A couple of draft related questions:Should he not sign or go to Kentucky, how long do we retain his rights?Can someone explain slots to me? I heard it here with signing him and with the Royals who seemed to greatly reach for Dozier, but then made sense because of a slot.

Bickford was asking for like 3 million so they drafted someone who they can sign for under slot to help with the balance.

What thr Royals did is what I wanted Ric Wilson to answer if Kyle Serrano dropped to us, but obviously noe my question has been answered with them passing on him.

IMO, problem may be signability with this pick.  #59 is slotted at $942k.  Considering he was projected as a first rounder, the #32 pick is slotted $1.6 million.  

Add to that, the Angels total pool is only $2,998,200.  

Some pool notes.  If you do not sign a player, you lose that slot money.  If you exceed the pool between 5-10%, you get a 75% tax and you lose a first round pick.  10-15%, 100% tax and loss of first and second round.  15%+ 2 first rounds and a second.  

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/06/06/2013-mlb-draft-primer-bonus-pool-slot-values-penalties-all-that-jazz/

And after saying all that.  I wonder.  What is considered a salary?  If the Angels offer a similar package like Trout, and guarantee college money, that could put it in the Angels favor.  But is that guarantee put towards the salary?  

Green, who doesn’t turn 18 until July 12, went 3-1 with a 0.14 ERA in 10 starts as a senior, striking out 110 batters and walking 37 in 51 2/3 innings.

SICK

A little too similar to Joe Torres in 2000 who was also a lefty, 6'2", 190ish, and had struck out 2 out of every 3 batters he faced against better competition (Florida).  Torres actually pitched for the Angels as a 17 year old.   We all know how that turned out.

Given what the Angels have to spend on the draft, I hope they can sign the kid without hurting themselves.

Left-handed pitcher Hunter Green is one of the youngest players entering the 2013 MLB draft, making him an exciting pitcher with plenty of projectability, but one far away from making an impact at the major-league level.

Green's best pitch is his fastball, as his off-speed pitches need some work. The starter is still growing into his body, which makes some scouts hopeful that he can add more velocity as he continues to mature. The 17-year-old also needs to work on his command, but any team that selects the starter will give him plenty of opportunities to improve.

The southpaw is committed to the University of Kentucky, so he does have the option of joining the college ranks if he does not come to an agreement with whatever team drafts him.

Vital statistics

HUNTER GREEN

Pos High School / College

Consensus Rank LHP Warren East HS (KY) Late 1st round (Braves)

B/T Birthdate (age) Height / Weight L/L 7/12/1995 (17) 6'2" / 200

What they're saying

John Sickels, Minor League Ball: "Green is a big lefty with a live arm, projectability...he's rather raw but moldable.

Jonathan Mayo, MLB.com: His fastball will touch the low 90s at times and it's easy to see more velocity coming as he physically matures. While he's had some delivery issues that impact his control and command, they seem correctable. That should help him throw his sharp, biting curve more consistently to go along with his sinking changeup."

Baseball America: " He throws from a low three-quarters arm angle and gets good armside run on his fastball, which appears even quicker because he throws with such little effort... He also has the potential for three plus pitches, displaying a quality curveball when he stays on top of it as well as feel for a changeup. "

Egad! This kid is younger than my youngest.