• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What if... just what if...

Warning to realists:  I'm really reaching here but work with me for a second...

So far, this team has had a soft schedule all things considered.   Outside of playing Texas, Detroit, and Baltimore, we've really not hit the upper echelon of teams.  A lot of games against KC, Sawks, Seattle, Houston, etc.

Even during our 8 game win streak, I didn't think we excelled but we won and that is what mattered.  Our best "looking" series of the year IMHO was against Detroit.  That 3 game sweep gave me a lot of confidence (at the time).  Not because of the 3 wins, but how they looked in doing it.

Right after that they dropped 2 of 3 to Texas and the rest of the games have been mostly against mediocre teams.

So what if...just what if...they have now built some chemistry [editorial note: I think chemistry comes through winning, not the other way around], but they don't have the manager to inspire them for whatever reason.  In the way Phil Jackson could push the right buttons and get the most out of his stars, Scioscia can't do that...and arguable does the reverse (again, work with me here).

Some Laker teams really only played at their best against the very best (i.e. rise to challenge, etc. etc.), maybe...just maybe...now that their schedule focuses on some great teams, the stars on this team will have their ego's challenged against some of the other best players and teams and will rise to challenge as they did against Detroit.

They don't have a manager to do it but maybe the upcoming teams can bring the best out.

Ok, if the last couple seasons didn't exist, I might believe this myself.   There are some new faces so maybe, just maybe...hell this is my only hope and prayer.

I don't really believe it but we will find out soon.

Crazy to think they've not played a series yet against Boston, New York, etc.

tl;dr  -  Pray that this team plays up to the level of their competition now that they have settled in, despite Scioscia.

It is nice to dream but at some point you have to wake up and di a reality check. This team is just not very good. 70 wins looks like a reasonable goal to me. There are no everyday players playing for a new contract. This team, to me, lacks incentive. Sit back and see if there is any improvement in the next 3-4 years. Right now I don't see it.

The most annoying thing about this angel team is that there's the talent there to take us on a crazy run. If trout, trumbo, josh and Albert get hot together we could be scary, especially with howie and bourjos chipping in. All very unrealistic but it's the fact it could happen which keeps us hanging on. If this was just a poor team I'd be less frustrated than I am with this year

The most annoying thing about this angel team is that there's the talent there to take us on a crazy run. If trout, trumbo, josh and Albert get hot together we could be scary, especially with howie and bourjos chipping in. All very unrealistic but it's the fact it could happen which keeps us hanging on. If this was just a poor team I'd be less frustrated than I am with this year

I believe this can happen. During the streak we had, it only looked like we got good breaks rather than the team playing extremely well. There's got to be that run in this team.

Respectfully .... I disagree.

1: Chemistry is not built though success, but adversity. Everyone loves each other when you're winning. It's when you're being challenged that one's true character, feelings and intent are revealed. That's why teams celebrate more demonstrably on a game- winning hit or during a rally - because it means more.

2: Baseball, in no way, shape, or form, is like basketball in terms of what it takes to succeed or motivate players to succeed. The games in basketball mean more on any given night because there are fewer games and baseball players and managers know that panicking in the first two months of the season won't help. Need proof? Least season, Oakland came from nowhere to win the West. The didn't panic, they just kept playing. In other words, slow and steady is the hands that wins in baseball

It is nice to dream but at some point you have to wake up and di a reality check. This team is just not very good. 70 wins looks like a reasonable goal to me. There are no everyday players playing for a new contract. This team, to me, lacks incentive. Sit back and see if there is any improvement in the next 3-4 years. Right now I don't see it.

Sorry, but that's a bunch of bullsquat.

I think 75 wins is a reasonable goal for this team.

Respectfully .... I disagree.

1: Chemistry is not built though success, but adversity. Everyone loves each other when you're winning. It's when you're being challenged that one's true character, feelings and intent are revealed. That's why teams celebrate more demonstrably on a game- winning hit or during a rally - because it means more.

2: Baseball, in no way, shape, or form, is like basketball in terms of what it takes to succeed or motivate players to succeed. The games in basketball mean more on any given night because there are fewer games and baseball players and managers know that panicking in the first two months of the season won't help. Need proof? Least season, Oakland came from nowhere to win the West. The didn't panic, they just kept playing. In other words, slow and steady is the hands that wins in baseball

Thank you, and respectfully, I'll acknowledge both points as very valid in potential - and reality - but are the exception not the norm.

1)  Yes, it's intuitive to think that chemistry occurs when you overcome adversity.  That is true.  100%.  The fallacy (at least where we disagree) is that most teams don't overcome the "suck" adversity while keeping the same unit.

Teams start changing resources until they start to win.  That isn't the same as all the players stay the same on the team, then just magically become very good.  IF the latter happens, then your point is correct.  You see NFL teams re-tool every offseason and go from "suck" to playoffs year in and year out.  And those teams indeed have chemistry.  But it's because of new people that allow the team to win as clearly they are clicking and that winning by playing well is what forms chemistry.

But yes, if my team at work of 8 people had nothing but problems for half a year, overcame them with no personell changes, and improved...then clearly we have developed chemistry.

I just don't think that form happens as much in sports.

2)  I'm not sure what panic has to do with the number of games in a season or that teams panic (fans sure do - see me).   In the NFL every game is extremely important but teams don't panic from week to week (ok, ok exclude the Jets - that grease fire always glows brightly).

And what would Oakland "panicking" have looked like anyway?   They remove a tarp and put blow-up dolls in said section to market "singles night"?

Sorry, but that's a bunch of bullsquat.

I think 75 wins is a reasonable goal for this team.

Ha.  At first I'm thinking "damn, he's calling that guy out a'right" and then I saws eet.

Superfan ;)

Joking aside, I really am not sure that playing some of the elite teams will do it for these guys...

...but then I think what will?

The players we have the most issues with are set for life.  The potential $$$ in terms of other revenue streams means little.

So what causes their pride to kick in at some point - at least if you believe they aren't trying hard enough or not focused enough ATM?

I'd hope it's looking into the dugout or across the field and seeing those they identify with in terms of greatness, team-play, etc. and want everyone to know they can deliver at least at that level like they have in the past.

There are some well documented Laker teams that clearly exhibited this.  I realize in the NBA, one key star can make or break a team so it's different than the MLB.

I'm just throwing this out there for discussion is all.  I don't really think it's our cure, but I'll know more after a few upcoming series.