• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

I understand where they're coming from in regards to Angels pitching prospects. Detmers lacks the upside of guys like McKay who even rank past 100, and Rodriguez, there's no body of work yet, nothing that suggests to them that he's anything more than a future reliever.

But that sort of just happens when you have to focus on all of MLB, you don't get a chance to lend more time to investigate the Chris Rodriguez types of the world. 

Jack Kochanowicz isn't even on their radar yet. 

So I think a lot will change in 2021, first and foremost, Marsh and obviously Adell will be graduated and in the outfield, or at the very least in the lineup. Jordyn Adams is going to make a big time leap into the Top 40, Reid Detmers and Chris Rodriguez are going to go from non-Top 100 prospects to mid-season prospects to keep an eye on, and each finish the season at the back end of Top 100 lists. Kyren Paris and Jack Kochanowicz will break into the back half of the Top 100 as well, and then a whole slough of guys will be on the radar, like Alex Ramirez and Arol Vera. Whoever the Angels first round pick is, will likely be a top 100 guy as well. 

I think next winter, the Angels will have six top 100 prospects, three of which will be in AAA or the majors.

Edited by Second Base

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I understand where they're coming from in regards to Angels pitching prospects. Detmers lacks the upside of guys like McKay who even rank past 100, and Rodriguez, there's no body of work yet, nothing that suggests to them that he's anything more than a future reliever.

But that sort of just happens when you have to focus on all of MLB, you don't get a chance to lend more time to investigate the Chris Rodriguez types of the world. 

So I think a lot will change in 2021, first and foremost, Marsh and obviously Adell will be graduated and in the outfield, or at the very least in the lineup. Jordyn Adams is going to make a big time leap into the Top 40, Reid Detmers and Chris Rodriguez are going to go from non-Top 100 prospects to mid-season prospects to keep an eye on, and each finish the season at the back end of Top 100 lists. Kyren Paris and Jack Kochanowicz will break into the back half of the Top 100 as well, and then a whole slough of guys will be on the radar, like Alex Ramirez and Arol Vera. Whoever the Angels first round pick is, will likely be a top 100 guy as well. 

I think next winter, the Angels will have six top 100 prospects, three of which will be in AAA or the majors.

I like Paris but I think he’s two years away from cracking a list. Detmers could actually skip over the Fangraphs rankings if he pitches a decent amount this year. There’s always a chance a guy like Rivera or Holmes takes a big step forward with pitching and makes the list. I think Adams, Rodriguez, 1st Rd Pick, and another guy make the list next year. 

On 2/17/2021 at 10:29 PM, Second Base said:

Speaking of Chris Rodriguez - had a chance to chat with him tonight: https://anchor.fm/laangelsuk/episodes/LAAngelsUK-meets-Angels-Pitcher-Chris-Rodriguez-eqjugf - may be of interest to some. He's a genuinely nice young man - can't help but wish him all the success in the world.

On your point though it's funny he acknowledges this himself, says it motivates him not being in the top 100, clearly believes he should be there but also knows and doesn't blame them for not putting him there as he was injured for two years

Also I ask him about the system and he references the fact there is so much talent lower down like Paris and Knowles

On 2/18/2021 at 9:43 AM, Chuckster70 said:

That is odd. I'll have to look into that. 

Looks like every league has a weekday on which there are no games scheduled.  The Braves' "High-A East" team has every Monday off:

rome.jpg

Looks like most of the other minor leagues have Mondays off, as well.  I got lazy and didn't look up all of them, but I didn't see anyone other than "Triple-A West" with Wednesdays off.

Edited by jsnpritchett

On 2/18/2021 at 2:59 PM, HaloSpurs said:

Speaking of Chris Rodriguez - had a chance to chat with him tonight: https://anchor.fm/laangelsuk/episodes/LAAngelsUK-meets-Angels-Pitcher-Chris-Rodriguez-eqjugf - may be of interest to some. He's a genuinely nice young man - can't help but wish him all the success in the world.

On your point though it's funny he acknowledges this himself, says it motivates him not being in the top 100, clearly believes he should be there but also knows and doesn't blame them for not putting him there as he was injured for two years

Also I ask him about the system and he references the fact there is so much talent lower down like Paris and Knowles

Excellent interview! I'm very quickly becoming a regular listener to your podcasts.

On 2/18/2021 at 2:59 PM, HaloSpurs said:

Agree ^^^^^

Your interview with Maddon was awesome. I hope he learns Junior Guerra's first name at camp! Keep up the good work. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Angels won't get a shot at either of them but Rocker and Leiter were ridiculous today.  Leiter was hitting upper 90s which is new for him.... If he can keep doing that he's going to go 1st overall.  Four legit pitches and now working in the upper 90s .... Not fair.

I kinda don't want these guys doing this well before the draft.  Maybe scare off a few teams ahead of us.  

This team is screwed and Arte's blind if what's being said here is true... 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/how-will-teams-approach-this-years-draft/

EL: I agree with that, it’s going to be a big year for the Area Scouts, especially in areas with lots of smaller colleges they can drive to. There are going to be some weird corner cases. Like I heard over the weekend that the Angels still haven’t brought back furloughed area scouts and their entire amateur staff is like eight people, so the pro scouts are chipping in on that side for them. I guess that’s Arte Moreno for you.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

EL: I agree with that, it’s going to be a big year for the Area Scouts, especially in areas with lots of smaller colleges they can drive to. There are going to be some weird corner cases. Like I heard over the weekend that the Angels still haven’t brought back furloughed area scouts and their entire amateur staff is like eight people, so the pro scouts are chipping in on that side for them. I guess that’s Arte Moreno for you.

From this and in the past, it seems that Arte doesn’t focus money on the real important things for long term success like scouting and development.

He seems to be a lot more into big offense acquisitions, and that goes back many years.

The last good established pitcher he acquired was Zack Greinke, TEN years ago.  

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

35 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

From this and in the past, it seems that Arte doesn’t focus money on the real important things for long term success like scouting and development.

He seems to be a lot more into big offense acquisitions, and that goes back many years.

The last good established pitcher he acquired was Zack Greinke, TEN years ago.  

100% this.  It's so frustrating.  It's obvious from seeing the success of the LAD, TB, etc. the past 10+ years what works and what does not for LT franchise success.  Further, Arte is truly willing to spend money on the organization as evidenced by his big contracts he doles out and the annual team payroll.  But it's HOW he spends that money which is soooo frustrating.  It's like a guy spending huge money on a fancy car & clothes to impress the neighborhood/peers/etc. while he's behind on his mortgage, having marriage problems, no retirement savings, etc.  It's like he's not willing to put in the work to build a foundation that takes time (or doesn't see it) and prefers to jump to the front of the line with a fancy big FA purchase.   

On 2/15/2021 at 1:51 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Thats called player development.   

Tinkering is part of the process.  All of MLB has been jumping all over the swing change and launch angle craze.   To say it's a failing of Epplers while ignoring that others like Walsh, Thaiss, and Ward have been said to benefit from it is hypocritical.

Maybe more importantly, when it didnt work in Jones case -- he went back to the old swing.   

Exactly this, but I'd also like to add that some failures don't make swing changes a bad thing or a team bad at player development. Even at AA or AAA so few prospects "make it." It makes sense to go for a David strategy (high risk high reward). If the team feels a player won't be able to succeed with their current swing there really isn't much to lose by changing it. I suppose the prospect loses trade value in the short term, but that's about it. If swing changes are successful even 10% of the time in getting a player to the majors that would have been borderline or gets a borderline player to become a solid regular or a regular turns into a star it's worth it. Maybe it makes the prospect worse 70% of the time and stays the same 20% of the time. That's still a higher success rate than what prospects normally do. 

Even MLB top 20 prospects bust half the time. If you operate with that understanding it makes a lot more sense to try to maximize potential rather than minimize loss. Getting a bunch of AAAA guys doesn't really help anyone.