• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Keith Law's Top 20 Angels prospect list is out on The Athletic... a friend sent me the write up...

Top 5:

1. Marsh. 

2. Detmers

3. Jackson

4. Adams

5. Paris

Also...

6. Chris Rodriguez

2021 impact

Detmers isn’t that far off despite being a college pitcher just last spring, and Marsh could spend part of the year in the majors if there’s an opportunity in either outfield corner.

Sleeper

Last year’s was Aquino, but he hasn’t progressed that much in the last 12 months. I’m more bullish on Paris making a big move forward once we get games this year.

1 minute ago, T.G. said:

Keith Law's Top 20 Angels prospect list is out on The Athletic... a friend sent me the write up...

Top 5:

1. Marsh. 

2. Detmers

3. Jackson

4. Adams

5. Paris

Also...

6. Chris Rodriguez

2021 impact

Detmers isn’t that far off despite being a college pitcher just last spring, and Marsh could spend part of the year in the majors if there’s an opportunity in either outfield corner.

Sleeper

Last year’s was Aquino, but he hasn’t progressed that much in the last 12 months. I’m more bullish on Paris making a big move forward once we get games this year.

Paris is my guy this year.  

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

That will probably happen eventually, but I'd like them to wait a year or two - if only to make sure their arms are sound. It would be quite tragic if they both focused on pitching only and then four years from now blew out their arm(s) and then had to back-track to hitting. Might as well keep both doors open for now, considering how young they are

Main reason I think this two-way/swing change thing is a bit overblown is that they have mostly done it with HS draftees.  Those guys are far off away you can afford to tinker in hopes you can unlock something.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Main reason I think this two-way/swing change thing is a but overblown is that they have mostly done it with HS draftees.  Those guys are far off away you can afford to tinker in hopes you can unlock something.

I've never understood any concern over the 'swing change' thing.  Half these guys are like 12 when they get signed and have been swinging a stick their whole life.  Going from dirt ball to a professional team that's trying to prep them for the majors.  

You're 16 and 140lbs.  In 6 years shit's gonna change.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I've never understood any concern over the 'swing change' thing.  Half these guys are like 12 when they get signed and have been swinging a stick their whole life.  Going from dirt ball to a professional team that's trying to prep them for the majors.  

You're 16 and 140lbs.  In 6 years shit's gonna change.  

They may be 16 and 140 lbs at signing, but many of them are 14 and 115 lbs when they agree to contracts. Like when Adell "committed" to Louisville in the 8th grade. 

The entire system is bonkers. I don't blame major league baseball for trying to fix it.

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

plus, most in the business might have a decent idea of what's gonna work on a go forward.  

fine.  keep doing that thing where you move your hands in circle before you swing.  Good luck hitting a 90mph slider or a change up that breaks two feet from the arms side of the pitcher.  

Taylor Lindsey may have avoided flaming out had somebody coached that ridiculous hitch in his swing out of him.

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Main reason I think this two-way/swing change thing is a but overblown is that they have mostly done it with HS draftees.  Those guys are far off away you can afford to tinker in hopes you can unlock something.

The two way thing wasn't as much a gimmick as much as it was overused. The only prospects that should consider it are the ones that are truly elite at both, and those don't frequently gone around. Maybe once every few years. Not 3-4 every year. 

Just as an example, the Red Sox drafted Casey Kelly as a pitcher and shortstop and he tried both. Well as it turns out, he was simply a smooth gifted fielder that could also throw 92 on the mound. 

Half of the high school position players selected in the draft throw 90 on the mound. It doesn't make them elite.

Looking back, I absolutely would've developed Cowart as a two-way player. It wouldn't have worked, and he probably would've ended up on the mound, but he had that talent.

Erik Rivera? No he's just a pitcher that can take some sweet BP swings. Holmes? He's a pitcher too that happens to be a solid defender with power. 

The reason why you don't bother with the two way thing unless they're truly elite is because I think you either delay it destroy their prospects at making a career at either. 

As evidence of the rarity of a two-way skill set, Jared Walsh. He was pretty competent at both. But as soon as he blossomed in one area (hitting), they abandoned the other. Brendan McKay is a pitcher that can occasionally pinch hit. Michael Lorenzen, also a pitcher that can be used used as a defensive replacement. Not a full time two-way player. 

Again, Ohtani is a unicorn. 

3 hours ago, greginpsca said:

Anyway to see his list without paying.

Marsh, Detmers, Jackson, Adams, Paris, Rodriguez, Knowles, Vera, Calabrese, Kochanowicz, Yan, Bonilla, Soto, Holmes, Aquino, Ramirez, Erik Rivera, Jose Alberto Rivera, Naughton, and Deveaux.

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

https://www.mlb.com/video/rodriguez-discusses-arsenal

I really do hope him, Othani and everyone else stays healthy. Really would like to see him up this year!

the performance of Detmers and Rodriguez is probably the most impactful of anything on whether this team will be ok, good, or great over the next 5 years.  It's probably just below Trout and Rendon doing Trout and Rendon things.  

Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part, but while I generally like Longenhagen's takes, I think he's really missing the boat on Chris Rodriguez:

Ryan
12:51
How close was Chris Rodriguez to making this list? Was he excluded due to his health history or do you simply like other players more than him?

Eric A Longenhagen
12:52
He has stuff on par with the relief types toward the back of the list but yeah, the injuries have to factor in

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part, but while I generally like Longenhagen's takes, I think he's really missing the boat on Chris Rodriguez:

Ryan
12:51
How close was Chris Rodriguez to making this list? Was he excluded due to his health history or do you simply like other players more than him?

Eric A Longenhagen
12:52
He has stuff on par with the relief types toward the back of the list but yeah, the injuries have to factor in

The hot take is that he has an injury problem that makes him risky.  The reality is he had an injury that was not correctly handled and lingered.  Marsh had the same issue -- difference was the rest worked with him, Rodriguez had to get surgery.  

More than anyone else in the system he just needs to get into competitive games to show what he is capable of.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

The hot take is that he has an injury problem that makes him risky.  The reality is he had an injury that was not correctly handled and lingered.  Marsh had the same issue -- difference was the rest worked with him, Rodriguez had to get surgery.  

More than anyone else in the system he just needs to get into competitive games to show what he is capable of.

I think his take is reasonable given the data, but the reason I'm allowing myself to be excited about Rodriguez is the reports we heard out of camp last year: both his health and the fact that his arsenal continues to improve. At the very least, I think he could become an elite reliever, but I'm still hoping for a #1-2 starter.

34 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think his take is reasonable given the data, but the reason I'm allowing myself to be excited about Rodriguez is the reports we heard out of camp last year: both his health and the fact that his arsenal continues to improve. At the very least, I think he could become an elite reliever, but I'm still hoping for a #1-2 starter.

IMO you're justified in being excited.  Youve seen our minor league ranking convos, I tend to be pretty conservative with guys.  Rodriguez's combination of stuff and work ethic has me more excited than any minor league pitcher I can think of since Santana.