Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

  • AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

IP pretty much said what I was going to say. It seems they have dropped C from Ward's resume, except as an emergency third stringer. So if Thaiss develops enough, he can back-up Stassi. If Stassi gets hurt, you call up a guy from AAA (a Bemboom/Butera/Graterol type).

Ward seems to actually be improving so is a useful guy to have around, as a 4OF. I do think one or both of Adell and Marsh will be ready next year, and if Upton is really resurging, then they might go with an outfield of Upton, Trout, one of Adell/Marsh, and Ward. Or they trade Upton, and go with both Adell and Marsh, or a platoon of all three around Trout.

But Thaiss can back up Walsh, Rendon, and Stassi. Ward as a platoon/4OF.

I get what @Stradling is saying.  Usually your secondary catcher is all about catching ie defense and how they handle pitchers.   I can't think of one team where their second guy is all bat and no glove.   So unless you have a primary C that's gonna play everyday, which almost no one does these days then Thaiss has very little value as a C unless his ability behind the plate becomes solid at the major league level.  He seems a bit away from that right now.  

To me though, if you can find a spot for Jose Rojas on the roster or Albert for that matter, then you can find one for Matt Thaiss even as the third option at C.  The Angels don't really need a bench guy who plays SS because they have Fletcher and even Rendon who can spot in there mid game if need be.  Same holds for a guy like Ward in CF.  Not gonna play there everyday if someone gets hurt but can fill in for half a game before calling up someone else.  Then Marsh or Adell become your true backup CFer and Ward shifts to RF.  

Actually, the one spot where you might run into some trouble for a day off is 2b if both Ward and Thaiss are your bench.  Could Thaiss give Fletch a day off from 2b or the SS a day off if Fletch plays SS?  Thaiss looked really uncomfortable at 2b.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I get what @Stradling is saying.  Usually your secondary catcher is all about catching ie defense and how they handle pitchers.   I can't think of one team where their second guy is all bat and no glove.   So unless you have a primary C that's gonna play everyday, which almost no one does these days then Thaiss has very little value as a C unless his ability behind the plate becomes solid at the major league level.  He seems a bit away from that right now.  

To me though, if you can find a spot for Jose Rojas on the roster or Albert for that matter, then you can find one for Matt Thaiss even as the third option at C.  The Angels don't really need a bench guy who plays SS because they have Fletcher and even Rendon who can spot in there mid game if need be.  Same holds for a guy like Ward in CF.  Not gonna play there everyday if someone gets hurt but can fill in for half a game before calling up someone else.  Then Marsh or Adell become your true backup CFer and Ward shifts to RF.  

Actually, the one spot where you might run into some trouble for a day off is 2b if both Ward and Thaiss are your bench.  Could Thaiss give Fletch a day off from 2b or the SS a day off if Fletch plays SS?  Thaiss looked really uncomfortable at 2b.  

I think the traditional view of the 2nd catcher being all-defense is kind of thrown out the window with a guy like Stassi, who seems rather injury prone and may be best seen as a platoon guy. So in actuality, Thaiss would likely be one of two or three second catchers.

As for the bench next year, it obviously wouldn't only be Ward and Thaiss. I think it depends upon if they want to spend money on a free agent middle infielder or not. As I've said, I think they should save all available funds for pitching and go with some mix of Fletcher, Wong, Rengifo, and maybe Stefanic or (haha) Barreto. So three of those guys, plus Ward and Thaiss. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

I think the traditional view of the 2nd catcher being all-defense is kind of thrown out the window with a guy like Stassi, who seems rather injury prone and may be best seen as a platoon guy. So in actuality, Thaiss would likely be one of two or three second catchers.

As for the bench next year, it obviously wouldn't only be Ward and Thaiss. I think it depends upon if they want to spend money on a free agent middle infielder or not. As I've said, I think they should save all available funds for pitching and go with some mix of Fletcher, Wong, Rengifo, and maybe Stefanic or (haha) Barreto. So three of those guys, plus Ward and Thaiss. 

Does Barreto actually exist? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Why is the gap bigger than ever?

The lack of MiLB in 2020?

Actually, the article references the use of foreign substances when discussing the gap between Pitchers and Hitters in MLB versus hitters. And the consolidated teams were all lower level I think so it wouldn't affect AAA at this point. The lost MiLB year and the 26th roster spot could be a factor.

But the reality is the quote is coming from one unnamed player who is close to a dude who is struggling...

"But Hiura has never struggled to this degree at any level and he moved quickly through the minors, with one player close to Hiura saying “he had no reference of how to get back on track.” “The environment in the big leagues now, everything is hard on hitters,” the player said. “Never been a bigger gap between Triple-A and the big leagues. So that didn’t really help him on what he needs to do to succeed here consistently.” Perhaps the work with Haines, along with Major League Baseball cracking down on pitchers using foreign substances, will allow Hiura to bounce back."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For all the love Adell is getting,  it's difficult to picture him being better than Taylor Ward at this point.  Ward is a better defender, more versatile,  and is hitting for power in the majors,  albeit with a low OBP. 

I just don't see where Adell is an improvement over Ward in 2021.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

For all the love Adell is getting,  it's difficult to picture him being better than Taylor Ward at this point.  Ward is a better defender, more versatile,  and is hitting for power in the majors,  albeit with a low OBP. 

I just don't see where Adell is an improvement over Ward in 2021.

he's not in my opinion.  Adell has yet to prove the one thing we're waiting for him to do and that's not feel obligated to swing.  He's gonna have to eventually get over letting the occasional hittable pitch go.  But tonight wasn't a good example of him not doing that as even with the 3 k's they're still intent on throwing him a ton of strikes.  Which they did tonight and for the first time in awhile, he swung through a few.  

Adell might be better at the plate although he could be a disaster again.   Either was it's likely not a big enough different to displace ward at this point.  I would actually consider displacing Lagares.  So if Adell were to get the call, it's either in CF or moving Ward to CF.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

So if Adell were to get the call, it's either in CF or moving Ward to CF.  

This....100%... and yet who here would have ever considered this statement to have ever been potentially true... 

It's actually pretty hilarious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This....100%... and yet who here would have ever considered this statement to have ever been potentially true... 

It's actually pretty hilarious.

Seriously.   Ward ran a few down when he was out there the other day and looked like his routes were good.  Don't know what his positioning was to start but I was very surprised at how natural he looked.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Seriously.   Ward ran a few down when he was out there the other day and looked like his routes were good.  Don't know what his positioning was to start but I was very surprised at how natural he looked.  

Ward impressed me in RF last year. What I didn't know was that he can also play a really good CF as well. 

He has shown the plate discipline in the minors (unlike) Adell, in addition to the power/speed that Jo has demonstrated. 

I totally agree with y'all that he needs more time. I'm good with having Lagares in CF and Ward in RF until Trout comes back and having Adell continue to work on pitch recognition in the minors. He should really listen to GA's words of wisdom on last night's telecast. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Seriously.   Ward ran a few down when he was out there the other day and looked like his routes were good.  Don't know what his positioning was to start but I was very surprised at how natural he looked.  

LOL he's basically a "budget Biggio".   Guy can play CF the corner spots and maybe catch..   

Nobody here ever argued that he was undervalued defensively but here we are...  Say what you will about the dude, he has put in ALL the work and he deserves props for that.

If both he and Thaiss end up being useful role players it won't make up for the misses on draft day but it will keep them from being disasters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I totally agree with y'all that he needs more time. I'm good with having Lagares in CF and Ward in RF until Trout comes back and having Adell continue to work on pitch recognition in the minors. He should really listen to GA's words of wisdom on last night's telecast. 

Not taking a counter position but Doc is right -- Adell doesn't really lack plate discipline.  Dude just thinks he can hit anything always.  That confidence is going to take Adell places but he won't become the player he could be until he reigns that in a bit and learns to pick and choose his spots.

Kid has ridiculous physical ability.  After watching Kelenic during his call up and Adell last year the gap in physical tools is so very obvious and the crazy part is Adell isn't close to maxed out physically where Kelenic really is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Not taking a counter position but Doc is right -- Adell doesn't really lack plate discipline.  Dude just thinks he can hit anything always.  That confidence is going to take Adell places but he won't become the player he could be until he reigns that in a bit and learns to pick and choose his spots.

Kid has ridiculous physical ability.  After watching Kelenic during his call up and Adell last year the gap in physical tools is so very obvious and the crazy part is Adell isn't close to maxed out physically where Kelenic really is.

I get a bit of Brian Giles vibe from Kelenic but with better D and a non-roided bat.  So fewer extra base hits and walks, but a lot more K's per the times.  

The thing about Adell is that he can hit a pitcher's pitch for a hr.  We saw it the other day where he hit one above his belt 480 ft and then he took another one low and in out of the zone out of the stadium and into the parking lot.  

I'm actually having a hard time trying to think of where the happy medium could be for him.  Someone's gonna have to sit down with him and tell him what his metrics are for keyholing certain pitches with less than two strikes vs. his odds of hitting hard some of the other stuff he's swinging at.  Right now it's kinda tough because but just about everything he makes contact with is going for a hr or a double.  It's funny to say but it's almost like hitting this many hrs is actually counterproductive to his development lol.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Right now it's kinda tough because but just about everything he makes contact with is going for a hr or a double.  It's funny to say but it's almost like hitting this many hrs is actually counterproductive to his development lol.    

Physical tools ...  it's why places like BBA fawn over some guys.   You can't teach that sort of freak physical ability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I get a bit of Brian Giles vibe from Kelenic but with better D and a non-roided bat.  So fewer extra base hits and walks, but a lot more K's per the times.  .    

I like Kelenic's floor and I think his willingness to take walks will help him reach his ceiling.  But there is a clear ceiling to his physical tools and he's so maxed out we likely see parts of his game regress if he adds anymore bulk.

He's a taller Calhoun physically, not a shorter Trout..  if that makes any sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...