• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Keith Law has the Angels ranked as the 23rd farm system in baseball. 

If only that was the only thing he said -- but, no he said this... 

23. L.A. Angels

If we were just ranking systems by tools, somehow adding up those grades or averaging them or however you might measure an entire organization’s toolsiness, the Angels would be in the top half, maybe the top 10. They love athletes, targeting them in the draft and on the international market, but developing those guys when their baseball skill level starts out low is a huge challenge for any organization. They also have tried to develop some of those athletes as two-way players, and I’m not sure that does anything except create prospects who are OK at both and great at neither.

Best of all -- that 23rd puts them ahead of the Astros, A's and Rangers.

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

23. L.A. Angels

If we were just ranking systems by tools, somehow adding up those grades or averaging them or however you might measure an entire organization’s toolsiness, the Angels would be in the top half, maybe the top 10. They love athletes, targeting them in the draft and on the international market, but developing those guys when their baseball skill level starts out low is a huge challenge for any organization. They also have tried to develop some of those athletes as two-way players, and I’m not sure that does anything except create prospects who are OK at both and great at neither.

Listen guy.  I just saw the ranking ! 

thanks for sharing the write up tho. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Listen guy.  I just saw the ranking ! 

thanks for sharing the write up tho. 

Nice!   Always enjoy a good "Listen guy".  I have the write ups for the other AL West teams up in the rankings thread.  it will make you feel better about being 23rd.

You know who else was 23..   Michael Jordan.   

#winning.

Really tough to rank minor league farms. Especially with no minor league season in 20.  That said, i think a good way to look at a teams success at drafting is to look at their 40 man roster to see how many of that 40 they drafted. Looking at the Angels current 40 man roster is probably why their grade is below average. Then look at how many of their draftees reach the bigs each year.  I've heard it said that if a team averages 1-2 of their drafted players making it to the majors each year, their system is doing pretty good.  It has taken Eppler's 5 years to try build back up our farm. But i think the next five years we might regularly see our draftees making it up.  Looking at different teams farms thru the years, some use their prospect purely as trade capitol. Some  teams hord theirs, while others use theirs both ways. I haven't looked teams histories drafting, but i think regime changes make up a large part of the ups & downs to their rankings.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

23. L.A. Angels

So is he going just off of William Holmes? Erik Rivera only has 70 at-bats in the minors and I can't find any pitching stats so there's not much to go off of there. There is also Walsh who looks to be potentially great with the bat but I don't know if the Angels are even letting him pitch anymore (probably only in blowouts).

7 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

So is he going just off of William Holmes? Erik Rivera only has 70 at-bats in the minors and I can't find any pitching stats so there's not much to go off of there. There is also Walsh who looks to be potentially great with the bat but I don't know if the Angels are even letting him pitch anymore (probably only in blowouts).

I think he's just thinking out loud and not really pointing that at the Angels. 

To be fair it's not a bad take, there is a reason teams stopped having guys be two way players. But a total of three guys, two of them in rookie ball and teenagers, the other a guy that was developed strictly as a hitter who was then asked if he wanted to throw too...  -- If he IS aiming it at the Angels then he's guilty of really having overstated his position. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think he's just thinking out loud and not really pointing that at the Angels. 

To be fair it's not a bad take, there is a reason teams stopped having guys be two way players. But a total of three guys, two of them in rookie ball and teenagers, the other a guy that was developed strictly as a hitter who was then asked if he wanted to throw too...  -- If he IS aiming it at the Angels then he's guilty of really having overstated his position. 

Image result for are you talking to us gif

3 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Also that seems to say that the angels aren’t doing great with development.  That’s not good ! 

From what I've seen, minor league development wasn't a strong suit under Eppler's regime. Apparently the Angels were very proactive in messing with players swings, and we've seen that with Jones, Deveaux, and others. Eric Longenhagen from FanGraphs has given a good analysis of this. Instead of letting guys swing the way they had been, the Angels started interfering. Specifically, they made Trent Deveaux switch to that dumb Jabari Blash stance.

I would say development was very strong in the Eppler regime. David Fletcher went from middling prospect to valuable middle infielder. Jared Walsh went from late draft afterthought to 1B of the future. Taylor Ward went from failed catcher to very athletic utility player. Matt Thaiss went from mediocre 1B to a 1B/3B with decent power and good defense. Luis Rengifo went from PTBNL to future starting infielder. 

Jaime Barria, Griffin Canning, Felix Pena, Pat Sandoval, Rodriguez, Suarez, Yan, Pina....

Eppler regime developed players at a pretty decent clip. They focused on drafting and signing elite athletes that were younger, and the byproduct of that is simply a longer developmental curve and higher fail rate, but all things considered, I'm very pleased with the player development between 2016-2020. 

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I would say development was very strong in the Eppler regime. David Fletcher went from middling prospect to valuable middle infielder. Jared Walsh went from late draft afterthought to 1B of the future. Taylor Ward went from failed catcher to very athletic utility player. Matt Thaiss went from mediocre 1B to a 1B/3B with decent power and good defense. Luis Rengifo went from PTBNL to future starting infielder. 

Jaime Barria, Griffin Canning, Felix Pena, Pat Sandoval, Rodriguez, Suarez, Yan, Pina....

Eppler regime developed players at a pretty decent clip. They focused on drafting and signing elite athletes that were younger, and the byproduct of that is simply a longer developmental curve and higher fail rate, but all things considered, I'm very pleased with the player development between 2016-2020. 

We still haven't seen much, if any, in the majors from Thaiss, Rengifo, Suarez, Yan, and Pina.  I'd wait on saying that their development in the Eppler regime was strong.

Felix Pena was a major leaguer, and I wouldn't put him under the prospect development category. He's more along the lines of guys like Petit, Norris, Hernandez, Parker, and Mayers who had some big league time and improved with major league time.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Will Perry focus a little more on drafting a balance of more polished players with high ceiling players?

Since Swanson appears to be staying on as the director of amateur scouting, I'm guessing drafts will largely remain the same, with the caveat that their first overall pick for at least the next three years or so should likely be the best PITCHER available. 

Rounds 2 - whatever, they can go with best player available, but this system was so drained of anything resembling upside pitching for so long that it wouldn't hurt them to use their top overall pick for the next half decade. 

7 hours ago, Trendon said:

We still haven't seen much, if any, in the majors from Thaiss, Rengifo, Suarez, Yan, and Pina.  I'd wait on saying that their development in the Eppler regime was strong.

Felix Pena was a major leaguer, and I wouldn't put him under the prospect development category. He's more along the lines of guys like Petit, Norris, Hernandez, Parker, and Mayers who had some big league time and improved with major league time.

You haven't seen much in the majors, I agree with that, but I think it's undeniable that each of those players made a developmental leap during Eppler's regime.

The reason why I added Pena is again, because his career changed upon arriving with the Angels. He flamed out as a starter years before in the Cubs system before transitioning to relief. Under Eppler's time, he figured out how to be successful for multiple innings at a time, which was quite unexpected.