• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

Adell's batting line through today: .261/.329/.710 with 9 HR, 6 walks and 26 Ks in 15 games. 

Talk about all or nothing. If I'm the Angels, I don't consider calling him up until the BA and OBP goes up, and he starts King a bit less - even at the expense of some power. Meaning, I'd much rather see .280/.350/.650, as far as major league readiness is concerned.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Adell's batting line through today: .261/.329/.710 with 9 HR, 6 walks and 26 Ks in 15 games. 

Talk about all or nothing. If I'm the Angels, I don't consider calling him up until the BA and OBP goes up, and he starts King a bit less - even at the expense of some power. Meaning, I'd much rather see .280/.350/.650, as far as major league readiness is concerned.

I mean, a good game this early could make his line that good or better. that’s not a huge difference....

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I mean, a good game this early could make his line that good or better. that’s not a huge difference....

True. My point isn't the exact numbers, though, but that I'm less concerned at this point about whether he's a 35 or 45 HR hitter, and more whether he hits .230 with 40/180 walks to Ks or .280 with 70/130. 

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

True. My point isn't the exact numbers, though, but that I'm less concerned at this point about whether he's a 35 or 45 HR hitter, and more whether he hits .230 with 40/180 walks to Ks or .280 with 70/130. 

It’s a good topic because I think for most of us, we’re still used to a good hitter being a guy who hits for average and has discipline and power, but the three outcome shit could be redefining what a good hitter *could* be. 

I don’t want Adell to be a guy who sacrifices batting average and walks for power, but it doesn’t necessarily mean he can’t be a good MLBer without that still like that. 

47 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It’s a good topic because I think for most of us, we’re still used to a good hitter being a guy who hits for average and has discipline and power, but the three outcome shit could be redefining what a good hitter *could* be. 

I don’t want Adell to be a guy who sacrifices batting average and walks for power, but it doesn’t necessarily mean he can’t be a good MLBer without that still like that. 

TTO is weird, because in a way it has diminished the game - at least from the spectator's perspective. But aside from that, I hear what you are saying, but I see hitters as having three major areas: power, average (contact), and walks. Truly great hitters excel at all three; a star can be not so good at one, but very good at the other two. But a player who is only great at one and really bad at the other two--like Adell right now--will not be a very good player. 

Adell doesn't have to hit .300 or walk 100 times a year to be a good player (if he did both, he'd be Trout), but I do think he needs to make more contact and take more walks than he currently does. 

Listening to the pregame on the radio yesterday, Maddon was asked if there have been discussions about Adell and Maddon said, he has some things to work on still.  Didn't anticipate a call up any time soon.

Sounds like typical manager talk. Wouldn’t expect anything else from a manager when being asked about a potential call up. Glad to see his K rate has decreased a bit. Part of me is annoyed by it and part of me has accepted that this is baseball today. It’s more and more becoming a boom or bust approach at the plate. So if you’re going to K a lot, you better drive the ball out of the park. 

On 5/23/2021 at 5:31 AM, Inside Pitch said:

I remember the field and lighting to be good, but its been a while and minor league park conditions always had a rep for being spotty.  Still curious if he's legit showing bad tools or just the usual lower minors type defensive lapses..  I remember seeing Simmons had 28 errors early in his minor league career.  I've never known how to gauge low minors error totals.  One of those areas where I'd rather hear peoples opinions than rely on the numbers.

That's kind of why I didn't like IE being redesignated as Low A. These are still fresh out of high school players trying to learn how to play advanced ball and then paired up with college players that will move up but the two are not in sync play wise. Like Taylor Ward nearly taking out Trout on a fly ball, he's not a MLB right or left fielder so they are not in sync. As such he can hide it all the way up until that crossing play comes up. i

Pitching can be both dominent looking with college guys that aren't that good but playing against 19 year olds that the last real live pitching they saw didn't have a slider and curveball come out of the same hand. 

Hitting can be dominent as pure athleticism can override young arms and catchers that don't know sequencing. So you can have a young Adell or in this case Paris that can string together some impressive stats because that fastball isn't, the slider doesn't break much and the off speed looks pretty obvious its coming because the guy on the mound is just learning how to throw it so his motion is awkward.

That is most of what these guys see, the truly few dominant pitchers may or may not be in their series or simply that zero for night gets erased by three nights of pitchers who won't make AA. 

Fielding is probably the one thing you can't hide. Footwork, angles, positioning, glove work and throwing are learned so when Paris or Jackson is botching plays you can't point to the field (IE, Rancho and Elsinore are well maintained) and say it's conditions. It's 19 year olds learning. 

At High A most of that is filtered out, those that didn't get it repeat Low A or wash out, those that do move to High and the same occurs as the talent is distilled but the play is much better. By the time you see guys at AA they are damn close to MLB quality play but that's 30 guys that are sifted from hundreds. Currently Paris and Jackson are part of those hundreds. 

At the IE it's not the field of play but the play on the field. 

58 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Listening to the pregame on the radio yesterday, Maddon was asked if there have been discussions about Adell and Maddon said, he has some things to work on still.  Didn't anticipate a call up any time soon.

Which is why I said above, watch the walks and BA, as the best indicators for what Adell has to work on (at the plate): plate discipline and contact. If and when those start to come up (and Ks start to go down, which AO pointed they kinda are), a call-up may be imminent - or at least a lot closer.

The Angels, of course, will be looking at it in a more granular manner, noting his swing and how he approaches each at-bat. But for us folks, we can see this reflected in the numbers: BB (and Ks) and BA. And, of course, it won't be like, "OK, he's walked twice in the last three games and just went 2-4." They'll want to see sustained development. What that means, who knows, but I would imagine at least a month or so of sustained improvement, or at least going in the right direction.

41 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Sounds like typical manager talk. Wouldn’t expect anything else from a manager when being asked about a potential call up. Glad to see his K rate has decreased a bit. Part of me is annoyed by it and part of me has accepted that this is baseball today. It’s more and more becoming a boom or bust approach at the plate. So if you’re going to K a lot, you better drive the ball out of the park. 

And have a solid enough OBP

Don't promote Adell until he's actually ready to produce. Don't promote him just so he can take his lumps in the majors. Once Independence Day comes and goes, and if he's cut his k-rate and has an OBP over .400 and stops making an ass of himself on defense, then go ahead and promote him. 

I honestly don't care if he's batting 1.000 sand hitting a HR every AB that he isn't intentionally walked, don't even consider promoting him until July 4th. Now obviously he won't be hitting that well, but the fact remains, he's never played in AAA before and we know from watching him, developmentally, he needs AAA time. 

Brownie points if you can promote him and Marsh at the same time.