• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

That's the comp I made when he was drafted, and got a little negative feedback on. Joe Saunders, before fading off into the sunset was a solid #3/4 starter for a time. Dependable. And that's what I think Detmers is, and will be. Boring, but solid. Dependable. He's not your ace, but he is the sort that you want three more of to round out the middle and bottom of your rotation. 

6 innings, and 2-3 runs every fifth or sixth day. 

Maddon has to let him finish 6 innings.

As unexciting as it is, I hope the Angels grab another Reid Detmers, collegiate starter type. You guys can see, the major league staff is doing merely ok, but 2/3 of it is only under team control through this year. And the farm isn't offering much to rely on at this point. Detmers is on his way, and maybe at some point Chris Rodriguez transitions back, but beyond them it's pretty much back end starters like Sandoval, Barria and Suarez, or his that are years off that you dream on, like Kochanowicz and Rivera. 

Get done more collegiate pitching that you can put in AA next year, and start some momentum in homegrown pitching. Save in free agency. 

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

That's the comp I made when he was drafted, and got a little negative feedback on. Joe Saunders, before fading off into the sunset was a solid #3/4 starter for a time. Dependable. And that's what I think Detmers is, and will be. Boring, but solid. Dependable. He's not your ace, but he is the sort that you want three more of to round out the middle and bottom of your rotation. 

6 innings, and 2-3 runs every fifth or sixth day. 

Out of college I agree Detmers is a 3/4 guy I think his ceiling grew when reports are he is sitting at 94-96. 

10 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Out of college I agree Detmers is a 3/4 guy I think his ceiling grew when reports are he is sitting at 94-96. 

@Chuckster70 I think it's important to keep in mind, 20 years ago when Joe Saunders was drafted, 15 years ago, when he made his major league debut, guys were not throwing as hard as they do now. 

K-Rod and Percival had insane velocity back in 2002. By today's standards, their velocity would be fairly typical of an 8th and 9tg inning duo. Not saying they wouldn't be as effective, just calling it like it is, guys throw harder now. 

So Joe Saunders typically sat 92. Reid Detmers is sitting 94-95. But adjusted for time, their fastballs are probably pretty equal. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I don't remember Saunders ever throwing 95.  

Sure, but that's one factor and, as Scotty pointed out, 95 is the new 92.

1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

That's the hope, but I'm being cautious in my optimism. I mean, its the Angels.

Hopefully a couple of the teams in front of the Angels are stupid enough to not draft Rocker or Letter and the Angels end up getting EXACTLY what they need, which is an upside pitcher that will only need a year of development.

Or maybe someone like the Padres will shift course and agree to a Jordyn Adams for Ryan Weathers swap. Or maybe the Rays would send Patino or McClanahan for Adams or Adell.

Saunders FB velo was 90 on avg for 2005 to 2014 according to FG.  

There are three lefty starter in mlb that avg 94 mph on their fastball.  

If he's sitting 94-96 and touching 97 mph, there's no way that's average.  I saw a damn video of him getting 7 swings and misses on fastballs up in the zone from the other night because it comes from the same arm slot as that curve/slider he's throwing.  

Throwing at that velo doesn't guarantee he's gonna be good, but he had good command the other night and pounded the strike zone.  And it's also why he's in AA and not the majors yet.  

18 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Saunders FB velo was 90 on avg for 2005 to 2014 according to FG.  

There are three lefty starter in mlb that avg 94 mph on their fastball.  

If he's sitting 94-96 and touching 97 mph, there's no way that's average.  I saw a damn video of him getting 7 swings and misses on fastballs up in the zone from the other night because it comes from the same arm slot as that curve/slider he's throwing.  

Throwing at that velo doesn't guarantee he's gonna be good, but he had good command the other night and pounded the strike zone.  And it's also why he's in AA and not the majors yet.  

Almost every major scouting publication came to the conclusion that since Detmers sits 88-92 with his fastball his ceiling is more of a middle/back of the rotation arm. The ONLY knock on him was his velocity. If Detmers was sitting 94-96 out of college he's not falling to us with the 10th pick of the draft. The scout Fletch who mentioned his lack of fastball control and polish, I'm absolutely letting Detmers figure out his fastball control at that velocity with as much time as he needs.

Edited by rafibomb

9 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Almost every major scouting publication came to the conclusion that since Detmers sits 88-92 with his fastball his ceiling is more of a middle/back of the rotation arm. The ONLY knock on him was his velocity. If Detmers was sitting 94-96 out of college he's not falling to us with the 10th pick of the draft. The scout Fletch who mentioned his lack of fastball control and polish, I'm absolutely letting Detmers figure out his fastball control at that velocity with as much time as he needs.

he certainly showed control of it the other night.  Maybe not super tight command but enough to where 96 is gonna play pretty damn well from the left side when that arm slot for the slider is at the same spot.  I haven't seen the changeup yet.  

I definitely agree his velocity spike is a good sign, and he's now above average (which is 92-93 now, I think?). 

But I think his upside is now a #2-3 rather than a #3-4, so he's moved a bit. I was comparing him to Saunders in that, like Saunders, he has a very high floor, but doesn't project as an ace. But he's a better prospect.

That said, the reports on him remind me a bit of Canning, who was considered a first round pick but fell to the second round due to injury concerns. Angels diehards hoped he would be a #2; so far he's been more of a #4. I think he still has a performance spike in him, but at this point I see his upside as a solid #3.

Edited by Angelsjunky

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Detmers on an annual basis: 180 IP 3.65 ERA.

Whatever you want to call that, that's what I think he'll be.

From 2017-2019, on average, there were about 25 pitchers each season with an ERA of 3.65 or better and about 35 who pitched 180 IP+.  That would place Detmers in the upper tier of pitchers.

14 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

From 2017-2019, on average, there were about 25 pitchers each season with an ERA of 3.65 or better and about 35 who pitched 180 IP+.  That would place Detmers in the upper tier of pitchers.

So according to “FB fan” he’s trash. 

4 hours ago, Stax said:

Brent Killam does not throw hard. Saw his off speed pitches at 68. They did not flash his fastball speed. Has good command though. 

His numbers are gaudy but I’m not convinced that it’s not simply him being a little advanced for the competition. He probably should be in Tri-Cities, and had he made his pro debut the year he was drafted, arguably in AA.

Aside from all players having been away from games so long, there’s going to be a lot of guys who were placed up or down an affiliate too far. It’ll take some adjusting, so I’m not putting too much stock into any exaggerated numbers one way or the other this early. 

But I won’t complain with 27 K across 13 IP. Keep it up young man.