• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

1 hour ago, Stax said:

Jackson is playing SS and Paris is playing 2nd. Reports had it that Jackson is better suited for 3rd or 2nd and that Paris should stick at SS.

As of May 8, Bonilla is listed on the injured list.

Jackson can play wherever. I'm not a big fan of his footwork and range at SS, but I've also seen worse at the major league level. He has the arm for third and everything to play 2B. It wouldn't surprise me to see him even play some OF, the closer he gets to the majors. 

Paris, I like him at SS and at 2B in a similar manner that I liked Fletcher and Stamets at both spots. I like him better than I ever did Kendrick at 2B and Howie turned into a decent defender at a couple different spots. 

I think Paris sticks as a 2B that child in at SS here and there, and Jackson is a primary 2B that also plays SS,3B, LF, CF. 

20 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Jackson can play wherever. I'm not a big fan of his footwork and range at SS, but I've also seen worse at the major league level. He has the arm for third and everything to play 2B. It wouldn't surprise me to see him even play some OF, the closer he gets to the majors. 

Paris, I like him at SS and at 2B in a similar manner that I liked Fletcher and Stamets at both spots. I like him better than I ever did Kendrick at 2B and Howie turned into a decent defender at a couple different spots. 

I think Paris sticks as a 2B that child in at SS here and there, and Jackson is a primary 2B that also plays SS,3B, LF, CF. 

Who is your best bet to be the long term SS amongst Paris, Jackson, and Vera?

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I'm not Scotty, but I think what he's implying in that post--which I agree with--is that Paris is the guy for SS, with Jackson at either 3B or 2B. 

Vera is a bit behind and more in the group with Placencia and Bonilla, so 1-2 years behind Jackson/Paris.

6 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Hard to say. Eppler did a terrific job overseeing the acquisition of premium athletes, which are mostly a bunch of CF and SS. Vera certainly looks good in his scouting videos, but those are meant to make a prospect look good. Remember Baldoquin?

This is just a pure guess with nothing but intuition to back it up, but Vera looks long and lean. Unless he's A-Rod or Ripkin, he's likely to outgrow the position. Bonilla, I haven't seen enough of yet but my understanding is he's more of the Alberto Callaspo mold. He can play SS in the minors but that's not his long term home. I hear good things about Placencia.

I believe Paris is the better shortstop between him and Jackson, but that's not a knock off Jackson as much as it is to say his tools play elsewhere in addition to SS. If he's your starting SS in the majors, your fine, he's not a bad defender, he's just now of an offensive force with athleticism and a good arm. Paris' actions look pretty clean, though he lacks the range of a Fletcher or Iglesias type. 

I've loved Werner Blakely's videos and what I've read about him. He might need the SS of the future. Or because of his frame, he too may outgrow the position, but the tools are certainly present. There's also a chance the Angels roll with Fletcher or Rengifo out there if their offense picks up. Or they may go after one of the premier free agents like Story, Correa, Seager. 

If I'm throwing a guess at this point, I'd say it's Paris, but we're like two weeks into the minor league season and he's in A Ball. I don't have a ton of confidence in that pick. Whatever anyone else thinks it's probably just as weighty as my guess here. 

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Hard to say. Eppler did a terrific job overseeing the acquisition of premium athletes, which are mostly a bunch of CF and SS. Vera certainly looks good in his scouting videos, but those are meant to make a prospect look good. Remember Baldoquin?

This is just a pure guess with nothing but intuition to back it up, but Vera looks long and lean. Unless he's A-Rod or Ripkin, he's likely to outgrow the position. Bonilla, I haven't seen enough of yet but my understanding is he's more of the Alberto Callaspo mold. He can play SS in the minors but that's not his long term home. I hear good things about Placencia.

I believe Paris is the better shortstop between him and Jackson, but that's not a knock off Jackson as much as it is to say his tools play elsewhere in addition to SS. If he's your starting SS in the majors, your fine, he's not a bad defender, he's just now of an offensive force with athleticism and a good arm. Paris' actions look pretty clean, though he lacks the range of a Fletcher or Iglesias type. 

I've loved Werner Blakely's videos and what I've read about him. He might need the SS of the future. Or because of his frame, he too may outgrow the position, but the tools are certainly present. There's also a chance the Angels roll with Fletcher or Rengifo out there if their offense picks up. Or they may go after one of the premier free agents like Story, Correa, Seager. 

If I'm throwing a guess at this point, I'd say it's Paris, but we're like two weeks into the minor league season and he's in A Ball. I don't have a ton of confidence in that pick. Whatever anyone else thinks it's probably just as weighty as my guess here. 

maybe he projects as a util guy and I've only seen limited video on him but my understanding is that Livan Soto is an excellent defender at SS.  The bat likely has to tick up a bit but maybe he ends up like an iglesias type.  

Hopefully the bat develops for Blakely because what we saw of him defensively from the vids looked really really good.  Quick feet.  Quick hands.  strong arm.  

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I hope they stay away from the premium FA SS’s.   They have plenty of on house candidates.

Focus on FA needs to be on pitching.

Not sure I agree.  The guys we're talking about are 3 years away AO.  They're gonna need someone to bridge that gap.  

Just now, Dochalo said:

Not sure I agree.  The guys we're talking about are 3 years away AO.  They're gonna need someone to bridge that gap.  

Bridge the gap, certainly.

Focus on a two year signing of a mid-level SS who is solid defensively and not Uecker at the plate.

What Iglesias was supposed to be

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Bridge the gap, certainly.

Focus on a two year signing of a mid-level SS who is solid defensively and not Uecker at the plate.

What Iglesias was supposed to be

you can't count on guys in A ball for now unless they're a Wander Franco type.  

I'd prefer to lock someone up for at least three years.  If Paris is that good, he'll find his way into the lineup.  Vera is 5 years away.  Anyone but Baez.  Semian on a 3-4 year deal would be great.  

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

you can't count on guys in A ball for now unless they're a Wander Franco type.  

I'd prefer to lock someone up for at least three years.  If Paris is that good, he'll find his way into the lineup.  Vera is 5 years away.  Anyone but Baez.  Semian on a 3-4 year deal would be great.  

Semien at 3 years would fit the bill.

Gotta love Baez's 2.9 W% to his 37.7 BB%. He's the ultimate Two True Outcomes hitter, strikeouts and home runs, but no walks. I really hope Maddon isn't enamored.

I wonder if Kris Bryant could play SS. I've always loved his bat and he's having quite a comeback year. Semien would be a nice signing for 3 years, but I think he ends up getting $15-20M a year, and maybe four years, and I'd rather they spend on extending Ohtani and pitching, and then going with Fletcher, Rengifo, and maybe some cheaper free agent like Freddy Galvis or Jonathan Villar.

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

maybe he projects as a util guy and I've only seen limited video on him but my understanding is that Livan Soto is an excellent defender at SS.  The bat likely has to tick up a bit but maybe he ends up like an iglesias type.  

Hopefully the bat develops for Blakely because what we saw of him defensively from the vids looked really really good.  Quick feet.  Quick hands.  strong arm.  

Soto is the best defender. I'm just not convinced he'll hit enough. 

Of the entire group, Arol Vera and Werner Blakely seem to carry the greatest upside. Fletcher's extension is cheap enough that it isn't a major hit of he loses his being ability and ends up in the super utility role. But from where I'm sitting, Kyren Paris looks like a building block of the future. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Kean Wong has a 1.012 OPS in some 50 PAs so far, granted it’s SLC and he only has 1 BB but also only 5 Ks.

Rojas is 3 for past 22, avg now .184.

Time to promote Wong and send Rojas back down?

Wong would need a 40-man add, and even though he's been red-hot, it's only ten games. 

Honestly if Trout's out for an IL stint...I'd bring up Marsh and see what happens.