• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Personally didn't think it was all that bad.  I see some stuff to work on personally like coming in on grounders.  There is still that general awkwardness where he looks like this is sorta new to him.  

I agree with you. I'm sure his struggles on the field last year have left some sour taste in people's mouths (I don't blame them)

16 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

SLC batters have combined for 17 Ks led by Adell with 4.  Incredibly ugly.

and it was super ugly.  Marsh too btw was swinging at crap.  Especially at balls in the dirt.  At least he walked a couple times.   On one of Adell's k's, he flailed so bad at a ball out of the zone by two feet that he flung his bat to the SS.  

48 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I watched three of them.  I think there were four swinging strikes on balls in the strike zone.  

By far the scariest thing regarding Adell and the chance of him reaching his potential. Never gonna be able to hit if he can't even make contact on pitches in the zone

Among qualified hitters last season, the Brewers Keston Hiura was the worst hitter in zone contact %. Jo Adell, if he qualified, would have been worse. Keston Hiura barely hit over .200 last season and was batting around .150 this year before the Brewers mercifully demoted him to Triple-A

45 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

By far the scariest thing regarding Adell and the chance of him reaching his potential. Never gonna be able to hit if he can't even make contact on pitches in the zone

Among qualified hitters last season, the Brewers Keston Hiura was the worst hitter in zone contact %. Jo Adell, if he qualified, would have been worse. Keston Hiura barely hit over .200 last season and was batting around .150 this year before the Brewers mercifully demoted him to Triple-A

And ironically, it was the selection of Hiura by the Brewers that led to Adell being picked by the Angels. Hiura is the bigger disappointment so far, because he was supposed to be the best collegiate hurt in the draft. The sort that would only need a year or two of development before he reaches the majors and bats. 300 with 20 HR. 

To date, Hiura has shown flashes of that, but mostly a lot of swing and miss. Whereas Adell, even if he were following the typical developmental timeline of a prep star, would be ticketed for AA/AAA this year. So he's still right where you would expect someone of his draft status to be developmentally. 

As long as Jo makes the adjustments and is properly major league ready by the mid-point of next season, there's little reason to panic. 

To be honest, the more Adell struggles in AAA the first part of this year, the better. You want him at a level that is going to give him fits and force him to grow. I would actually be MORE concerned if Jo was tearing it up. He's so athletic that it's hard to find a place that will challenge him before the majors. If he's laying waste to AAA, then he isn't learning anything, and judging by what we've seen, he's got a lot to learn. 

So I embrace his struggles, at least until like mid-June. 

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

And ironically, it was the selection of Hiura by the Brewers that led to Adell being picked by the Angels. Hiura is the bigger disappointment so far, because he was supposed to be the best collegiate hurt in the draft. The sort that would only need a year or two of development before he reaches the majors and bats. 300 with 20 HR. 

To date, Hiura has shown flashes of that, but mostly a lot of swing and miss. Whereas Adell, even if he were following the typical developmental timeline of a prep star, would be ticketed for AA/AAA this year. So he's still right where you would expect someone of his draft status to be developmentally. 

As long as Jo makes the adjustments and is properly major league ready by the mid-point of next season, there's little reason to panic. 

To be honest, the more Adell struggles in AAA the first part of this year, the better. You want him at a level that is going to give him fits and force him to grow. I would actually be MORE concerned if Jo was tearing it up. He's so athletic that it's hard to find a place that will challenge him before the majors. If he's laying waste to AAA, then he isn't learning anything, and judging by what we've seen, he's got a lot to learn. 

So I embrace his struggles, at least until like mid-June. 

this is fair and reasonable but he got destroyed last year and his swing looks more complicated than it's ever been in my opinion.  And now he's got 19 k in his first 42 at bats while show boating in AAA like his success is inevitable.  And while his defense hasn't been as visibly atrocious as it was last year, he still takes poor routes to the ball and looks shaky on anything on the grass.   

In my opinion, he's kind of embarrassing himself at this point.  

And don't get me wrong by the way.  I want nothing more than for Jo to succeed.  By all accounts, the kid works his butt off.  I just hope he's doing so based on what people with extensive knowledge of the game are telling him and doesn't put himself on the island of unrealized talent.  Because that's a pretty crowded place filled with a lot of former baseball players.    

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

And don't get me wrong by the way.  I want nothing more than for Jo to succeed.  By all accounts, the kid works his butt off.  I just hope he's doing so based on what people with extensive knowledge of the game are telling him and doesn't put himself on the island of unrealized talent.  Because that's a pretty crowded place filled with a lot of former baseball players.    

There is nothing really left to analyze with Adell.  He's supremely gifted, capable of doing things few others are, but he has a gaping hole in his game that could keep him from being successful.  We all know what he does well, so does he, unfortunately the thing he doesn't do well is on display on a daily basis.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

There is nothing really left to analyze with Adell.  He's supremely gifted, capable of doing things few others are, but he has a gaping hole in his game that could keep him from being successful.  We all know what he does well, so does he, unfortunately the thing he doesn't do well is on display on a daily basis.

The way you're describing him, it's almost like he's a prospect. 

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

this is fair and reasonable but he got destroyed last year and his swing looks more complicated than it's ever been in my opinion.  And now he's got 19 k in his first 42 at bats while show boating in AAA like his success is inevitable.  And while his defense hasn't been as visibly atrocious as it was last year, he still takes poor routes to the ball and looks shaky on anything on the grass.   

In my opinion, he's kind of embarrassing himself at this point.  

Good. Keep swinging and missing until he learns not to as much. Keep going with a complicated swing until he's forced to go back to basics and simplify. Keep showboating until someone puts one between his shoulder blades for being an ass. 

This is how people learn. 

And if there's a silver lining..... He's not lacking confidence and the best professional ball players have a confidence that borderlines on arrogance. He has that. And for the swing, I mean, he's getting extended. So that's nice. 

43 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Paris is a badass. If he keeps this up, how long until they promote him to A+? Beginning of June?

As for Adell, I think we all need to step back and stop analyzing every at-bat, every play, every swing. Let's see where he's at in a couple months, or by year's end. 

I don't know, but holy hell the Tri-Cities Dust Devils are incredibly void of talent in the lineup.

Rivas was good, but that's it. With no Jordyn Adams that team doesn't have any star talent from the game I attended. 

Then the very next day they got clobbered for 20 runs. Though to be fair, the Everett Aqua Sox have 13 of the Mariners top-30 prospects on that squad.