• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

On 1/6/2021 at 12:21 AM, Angelsjunky said:

Yes, but sometimes it isn't clearcut, especially once you get to #9. I think tdawg's point is that if it is unclear, go for a catcher or pitcher and be happy with the bunch of athletic outfielders and middle infielders that we already have.

The Angels farm also lacks high upside pure hitters, so I could see them going that route. 

What's your definition of a pure hitter?  Not being snarky, I just know what the term meant historically and how many people use it now, which isn't anything like the traditional pure hitters....  

14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

What's your definition of a pure hitter?  Not being snarky, I just know what the term meant historically and how many people use it now, which isn't anything like the traditional pure hitters....  

In this context, I mainly mean someone whose primary ability is with the bat, and in a way that involves average and discipline, probably some degree of power. Meaning, signs of developed hitting skills and upside, not just athletic toolsy potential.

For years the Angels have focused on toolsy outfielders and middle infielders, which I don't have a problem with as a general rule. But it is rare that we have a guy that makes you say, "this guy can hit - who cares about the rest?" I'm hoping Alexander Ramirez becomes that sort of prospect this year. Brandon Marsh is, to some extent, but his overall toolset and athleticism are what make him most impressive. 

22 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

In this context, I mainly mean someone whose primary ability is with the bat, and in a way that involves average and discipline, probably some degree of power. Meaning, signs of developed hitting skills and upside, not just athletic toolsy potential.

For years the Angels have focused on toolsy outfielders and middle infielders, which I don't have a problem with as a general rule. But it is rare that we have a guy that makes you say, "this guy can hit - who cares about the rest?" I'm hoping Alexander Ramirez becomes that sort of prospect this year. Brandon Marsh is, to some extent, but his overall toolset and athleticism are what make him most impressive. 

Gotcha...   I only ask bc few tend to use the term how it was originally intended or they have their own specific idea of what a pure hitter is.  The term as it was intended was for high average, high contact, bat to ball guys that don't generate a lot of power, but also don't strike out.  Ty Cobb was the poster boy.  People used it to sort of throw shade at sluggers.   I guess because purists gotta purist!

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Gotcha...   I only ask bc few tend to use the term how it was originally intended or they have their own specific idea of what a pure hitter is.  The term as it was intended was for high average, high contact, bat to ball guys that don't generate a lot of power, but also don't strike out.  Ty Cobb was the poster boy.  People used it to sort of throw shade at sluggers.   I guess because purists gotta purist!

Yeah, I know. Those guys are rare these days as power and strikeouts have risen. Three true outcomes, I guess.

Actually, David Fletcher is a bit of a throwback "pure hitter" (in the purist sense of the world). Willams Astudillo, too, but I don't know how much average he'll hit for.

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I always think of Howie as the classic hitter.  

I suppose context is everything, but I always perceived pure hitter as someone that falls out of bed and hits. Minimal coaching needed, fast adjustments, no prolonged slumps, an intuitive offensive player.

You put a bat in his hand and he just gets it. 

Howie was one for sure. Bo Bichette is one too, for the new generation. 

For the 2020-21 signing period that opens on Jan. 15, the top target the Angels are expected to sign is another physical, offensive-minded shortstop, Denzer Guzman from the Dominican Republic. Guzman is 6-foot-2, 178 pounds with a loose, simple swing and good feel for the barrel, making hard contact with the potential to grow into above-average power. Guzman will probably start his career at shortstop, though a lot of scouts think his quickness and range will lead him to third base. His bonus is expected to come in around $2 million.

...Beyond Guzman, other notable players the Angels are expected to sign include Luis Viloria, a lefthander from Venezuela, as well as Darlin Francia, a long-limbed, 6-foot-3 righthander from the Dominican Republic. They should also land Venezuelan catcher Eiver Betancourt.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/los-angeles-angels-2020-21-international-signing-preview/

There’s a lot to like about Guzman. He’s one of the best pure hitters in the class and ultimately, it’s the hit tool that makes him so attractive to scouts.

First and foremost, he knows the strike zone. He shows a sound swing with a small leg kick. There’s a nice rhythm to his approach and he has a knack for making hard contact to all fields. He likes to hit the ball up the middle and into the gaps, and is projected to add some power as he develops. He’s not a big time thumper that will drive the ball out of the ballpark on a consistent basis, at least for now, but he’s consistent and is working on adding loft to his swing.

On defense, he might end up at third base because of his projected size and overall skillset. He’s a solid defender with plus-arm potential. He shows good footwork on both sides of the ball. He’s considered a below average runner.

Guzman trains with Juan Rodriguez at Global Baseball Academy in the Dominican Republic. The Angels are the favorite to sign him.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/international/denzer-guzman-694203
#29 on that list

almost no Ps on that list.  It seems to be the case each year.  Maybe that's because pitchers take longer to develop and "pop" -- especially at that young of an age.  Many on the list might be kids who have grown into their bodies earlier than usual.  Hitting and fielding is going to show earlier than pitching & pitch speed.  idk...maybe i'm just talking myself into an answer.

"Also expected to sign with the Angels on Friday is Darlin Francia, a tall and lean Dominican right-handed pitcher. Francia is athletic with a smooth delivery, who competes mostly off his fastball, but shows some feel for a breaking ball with some shape.

Eivor Betancourt is a Venezuelan catcher who bats from the left-side. Defensively, Betancourt is a quiet receiver who will show 2.0-2.1 raw pop times. Offensive, he shows bat-to-ball skills but limited power.

Little public information is known about Venezuelan left-handed pitcher, Luis Viloria, who will also be signing with the Angels."

https://homeplateview.com/2021/01/14/angels-international-signing-preview/

5 hours ago, Fourts said:

almost no Ps on that list.  It seems to be the case each year.  Maybe that's because pitchers take longer to develop and "pop" -- especially at that young of an age.  Many on the list might be kids who have grown into their bodies earlier than usual.  Hitting and fielding is going to show earlier than pitching & pitch speed.  idk...maybe i'm just talking myself into an answer.

maybe I missed one, but I don't see one pitching prospect from mlb's top 30 international prospect list in the majors as far back as 2012.  

I could be wrong on this, but my guess is that there's about 4-5 guys who really stand out per year.  Maybe up to 10 if there are some cuban or asian guys on top of that.  Most of the guys are position players.  

And for the vast majority, you're not going to know for about 7 years.  

Put the international signings in your pocket like that $20 bill you left in a pair of jeans you never wear and then be happy when you find it in a couple of years should it still be there 

13 hours ago, Dochalo said:

maybe I missed one, but I don't see one pitching prospect from mlb's top 30 international prospect list in the majors as far back as 2012.  

I could be wrong on this, but my guess is that there's about 4-5 guys who really stand out per year.  Maybe up to 10 if there are some cuban or asian guys on top of that.  Most of the guys are position players.  

And for the vast majority, you're not going to know for about 7 years.  

Put the international signings in your pocket like that $20 bill you left in a pair of jeans you never wear and then be happy when you find it in a couple of years should it still be there 

A couple of years ago, I went through a bunch of these lists because I was curious how many of these guys pan out. I was shocked at how few of them became major league players (let alone good ones). 

12 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Is it unusual for the Angels to sign all these international players?  I have a feeling it is, but I don't know.  It's good to see them acquiring some talent in any case.

They used every bit of their international signing money ever year under Eppler.  There will be a few guys we want hear about because they sign for chump change or late in the signing season but you're right in that it seems like there is more info this year.