• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Fail rate of a catcher.  I’d rather go after a pitcher or the best bat available regardless of position. 

I mean I wasn't suggesting foregoing the BPA philosophy just to get a catcher. 

What I was saying was if there's a catcher available and it's close I wouldn't be shocked to see us draft him. 

There's absolutely a high fail rate among catchers but this system has fucking zero catching depth. 

Adrian Del Castillo is the top catching prospect in the draft, but he'll probably be gone before the Angels get a pick. The next few catchers probably aren't top 10, unless one takes a big step forward this year.

If we're lucky, Jack Leiter or Jaden Hill falls.

Edited by Angelsjunky

15 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

You Draft the best pitcher available or the best position player available.  

Yes, but sometimes it isn't clearcut, especially once you get to #9. I think tdawg's point is that if it is unclear, go for a catcher or pitcher and be happy with the bunch of athletic outfielders and middle infielders that we already have.

The Angels farm also lacks high upside pure hitters, so I could see them going that route. 

So in terms of priority, based upon the existing farm, I would say:

1. Best player available, with emphasis on pitcher.

2. If no clear best player, go for best pitcher or catcher if available.

3. Alternately--if no clear best pitcher or catcher--go for best bat.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I mean I wasn't suggesting foregoing the BPA philosophy just to get a catcher. 

What I was saying was if there's a catcher available and it's close I wouldn't be shocked to see us draft him. 

There's absolutely a high fail rate among catchers but this system has fucking zero catching depth. 

There is a "catcher" who may go that high but nobody believes he will stay at catcher....   

49 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Adrian Del Castillo is the top catching prospect in the draft, but he'll probably be gone before the Angels get a pick. The next few catchers probably aren't top 10, unless one takes a big step forward this year.

If we're lucky, Jack Leiter or Jaden Hill falls.

His bat is considered a sure thing, he's mashed at Miami from day one, crazy low k rates and a legit barrel machine but he's been marked to move off of C almost since day one too.

27 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Fucking hell this is always the story, isn't it? 

Its particularly true this time but Del Castillo has been a stupidly good hitter.   

He's basically this draft's Kyle Schwarber with the same extremely limited defensive profile.  He's slow, can't move laterally and his arm is ok but not spectacular (his throws tend to clock in at 84-85 but kinda loopy).  He is probably the most advanced bat in the draft, highest floor but not sure he can be expected to really build on his physical tools.

The Angels certainly seemed to avoid high school arms in the first couple of rounds during the Eppler era.  

There are two areas of 'fools gold', if you will, when picking outside of the top 5 or 6 in the first round in my opinion.  

Catchers and 'advanced' college bats.  If they're considered of the top 5 or 6 draftable players then the success rate is rather good.  Outside of that it's actually pretty bad.  

Even for the halos over the last few years - their 'advanced bats' were Thaiss and Wilson.  

The most successful guy who stayed a catcher that was picked out of the top 6 is probably Grandal in 2010.  Then it's like back to 1994 with Varitek.  Unless you are ok with using a first rounder on Jason Castro. 

Frankly, I would avoid a C with the 9th pick like the plague.  

My order of preference would be best HS position player (not C) or best college pitcher then HS pitcher, then college bat, then C. 

I say stick with what's worked lately in going after the uber athletic HS bats in Marsh, Adell, Adams, Jackson, Paris in the first couple rounds unless there is an opportunity to get a really good college pitcher like a Canning or Detmers.  Then focus on HS arms for rounds 3-5 or 6.  Again, if a college arm is available that you can't pass on then go for it. 

After that, it's pure BPA.  Most of the guys after the 5th round have one good tool to work with (shut up Toby).  Speed, power, velo, one really devastating pitch, tremendous d but no bat, excellent make up or baseball IQ etc.  

I actually don't like the 'pure hitter' thing unless it's utterly elite.  Especially college guys.  You're gonna miss stuff.  And with HS or JC guys it's just so hard to tell. Like Kendrick going in the 10th round.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this because my observations are limited to my experience as a short lived career as a walk on, but college baseball is old baseball.  They're not trying to develop you as much as they're trying to find out if you can help them win games.  You get designated as a certain type of hitter from the second you walk on the field and you'll never be anything else for your 3 or 4 years.  It's not their job to see your future.  That's the job of pro scouts.  College teams don't have the patience for that.  So if you don't have any power they're not going to try and change your swing to unlock that.  They're gonna make you slap an outside slider to the 2bman to move the runner from 2nd to 3rd.      I mention this because it would likely mean a scout has to watch David Fletcher for an entire season to get a true sense of what he'd be capable of.  

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Will both Paris and Vera start the 2021 season at least in low-A ball?

Paris might. He made it to the alternate site late last year which was reserved for guys with a skill level of advanced A or higher typically. So I would expect him to begin the season in low-A, being as young as he is.

Vera, that's more up in the air. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary if he were still in the Dominican Republic. An aggressive placement would be A Ball. Middle ground is probably Arizona. 

It'll be interesting to see what Perry does with this draft. Looking at previous 4 drafts that Perry was part of for the braves, they've taken a blend of college pitchers and hitters in the first round.

I think it'll come down to best player available vs position of need.  

if we're able to sign one of Bauer/Sugano and our starting rotation holds, and guys like Rodriguez and Detmers show there potential and are able to stay healthy, than we might look into another area or if the player available is one of the better pitchers, or if Perry wants to take a risk with a hs pitcher. 

But of it doesn't hold up, than we go after a pitcher.

There isn't really a C available at our pick  (9) so i'd cross that out.

But, i would not be surprised if we went after a SS as there are few good once around our draft range. 

it'll be interesting to see what happens. 

I hope Minasian continues to draft with a similar philosophy that Eppler did, which is close to what Doc was describing above. Go for the clearly best available talent with high ceilings and youth and let the rest play itself out.

11 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Would have been interesting to see Seminaris pitch the full 2020 college season.   In 22 innings, he had 36 Ks while facing strong competition to start the season.

Seems like he could be on a trajectory similar to Michael Roth and Nick Maronde, but hopefully with a lot more impact. 

He’ll be an interesting one this year since he’s fairly advanced. Does he top out as a reliever who makes the team quickly with a limited ceiling, or does he have some potential to develop into something more? Do the Angels have the time to wait on him to develop into something more? Maronde and Roth felt like they were rushed a bit out of necessity and it cut their development short.