• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

6 hours ago, mmc said:

But is a team having every single one of their affiliates not competing really normal?

The Angels had the number 1 ranked system in all of MLB in 2005.   The only team in the system more than 2 games above .500 was SLC..   

In 2013 they were ranked dead last.   Four of the teams were over .500, two of them were 12+ games over .500, and the system combined to be better than .500 
In 2014 still dead last...  Three over .500.    

Minor league W% can be all over the place.   It's wildly inconsistent simply because teams often move guys around or will stack prospects together at a level.   The one team where I'd argue the W% is direct result of the ridiculous amount of talent in the system is TB.  I genuinely don't believe I've seen a system more loaded with talent than that one.

Has anyone noticed that Stefanic has been playing in the outfield the past three games? Two in LF, one in RF. 

I wonder if the Angels are so discouraged with his middle infield defense that they're trying him out in LF. 

On the season he's been pretty damn good with the bat so you have to find a place for him on the diamond. 

.345/.418/.927 OPS with 16 HR, 6 SB. 

43 minutes ago, Stax said:

If Tampa Bay is so good at drafting and developing a minor league system, why cannot other teams do the same by following their lead?

They have actually blown a lot of drafts -- they don't have as good a record there.  What they do really well is use their algorithms to acquire talent from other teams just as or before they break out.  They look for certain things, acquire it, then develop it.

The Dodgers are the draft kings.

30 MLB Prospects Who Improved Their Stock In 2021

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/30-mlb-prospects-who-improved-their-stock-in-2021/

Los Angeles Angels

Brendon Davis, IF

Davis is on his third team after being traded from the Dodgers to the Rangers, then plucked by the Angels in the minor league phase of the Rule 5 draft in 2020. He moved from High-A all the way to Triple-A by the end of the season, and his 26 home runs were the second-most in the Angels’ system.

2 hours ago, Stax said:

If Tampa Bay is so good at drafting and developing a minor league system, why cannot other teams do the same by following their lead?

it's not drafting  for them as much as it is that they are forced to sell off players before they get expensive and being very disciplined on doing so.  They have 3 drafted players on their current major league roster.  All the rest are trades and a few low budget free agents.   They also tend to have one of the largest international budgets for scouting.  

Personally, it's one of the reasons why the Angels frustrate me.  The expectation is to pull the clean turd from the free agent pool whereas if they actually paid attention to the minor league system they wouldn't ever have to spend 9 mil on a guy that has maybe a 30% chance of being better than a replacement player.  

And once again they're gonna spend a good portion of the off season trying to patch together a halfway decent pen that Joe is gonna misuse anyway.  

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Has anyone noticed that Stefanic has been playing in the outfield the past three games? Two in LF, one in RF. 

I wonder if the Angels are so discouraged with his middle infield defense that they're trying him out in LF. 

On the season he's been pretty damn good with the bat so you have to find a place for him on the diamond. 

.345/.418/.927 OPS with 16 HR, 6 SB. 

I've noticed it, but I'm not so sure how he fits into the OF. Two big issues with his defense in the infield have been his range and his arm strength, which are two things you need to play the outfield.

I have no proof to back it up, but it seems like the most efficient way to build up a good farm system and organizational depth is to bring in a lot of talent via trades.

Just look at the haul of prospects the Angels pulled in with the two trades of Heaney and Watson, who were veteran pitchers on expiring contracts

They got 4 pitching prospects: Ivan Armstrong, Janson Junk, Jose Marte, and Elvis Peguero.

Tampa Bay is always making trades, which helps build up their prospect pool. Like look at the Diego Castillo trade from this trade deadline: they traded Castillo for a reliever performing similarly in JT Chargois AND got a prospect (Austin Shenton) with Chargois.

They basically got a free prospect for swapping out relievers.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

I have no proof to back it up, but it seems like the most efficient way to build up a good farm system and organizational depth is to bring in a lot of talent via trades.

Just look at the haul of prospects the Angels pulled in with the two trades of Heaney and Watson, who were veteran pitchers on expiring contracts

They got 4 pitching prospects: Ivan Armstrong, Janson Junk, Jose Marte, and Elvis Peguero.

Tampa Bay is always making trades, which help build up their prospect pool. Like look at the Diego Castillo trade from this trade deadline: they traded Castillo for a reliever performing similarly in JT Chargois AND got a prospect (Austin Shenton) with Chargois.

They basically got a free prospect for swapping out relievers.

Don't get me started on this.  The only thing that keeping Iglesias did was to hurt the Angels draft position.  Imagine putting together a minor league infrastructure like the rays yet having an extra hundred mil or more to spend in order to support the major league product.   I guess that would make us the dodgers.  

20 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

and btw, the Angels aren't the only guilty party here.  I have no idea why other teams aren't doing what the Rays do.  

Because baseball execs aren't always all that smart. I mean, it baffles me too. I think the other reason is that most owners just want to make a profit, and as long as people keep buying tickets, they'll keep churning out the same product. 

It reminds me a bit of fantasy baseball, where the people who care the most tend to win. I stopped playing about ten years because I stopped caring, and there seemed no point if A) I no longer cared (passed the draft, which was fun), and B) the same two or three guys kept winning because the other nine or ten of us didn't care all that much.

Edited by Angelsjunky

30 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Don't get me started on this.  The only thing that keeping Iglesias did was to hurt the Angels draft position.

Ehh. Now that Iglesias is almost a lock to get the QO, them not trading him isn't as big of an issue for me. Either they re-sign him or they receive draft compensation (and the subsequent slot value).

I could be wrong, but I don't see a path where they could've traded Iglesias and then gotten him to re-sign with them in the offseason. It worked for the Yankees with Chapman, but they're also the Yankees (who are always competitive)

I'd rather take the hit in return for losing Iglesias than risk not having a chance to re-sign him.

14 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Ehh. Now that Iglesias is almost a lock to get the QO, them not trading him isn't as big of an issue for me. Either they re-sign him or they receive draft compensation (and the subsequent slot value).

I could be wrong, but I don't see a path where they could've traded Iglesias and then gotten him to re-sign with them in the offseason. It worked for the Yankees with Chapman, but they're also the Yankees (who are always competitive)

I'd rather take the hit in return for losing Iglesias than risk not having a chance to re-sign him.

he's not getting a QO.  No way the Halos risk spending that on a closer.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Hmm, I'm not so sure. He's going to cost $14-15M/yr regardless. What's another $4-5M? (QO is $18.9M this offseason). Further, Iglesias would be stupid to take it: worst-case scenario and he gets something like 2/$28M, but he could get 3/$45M or more.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Hmm, I'm not so sure. He's going to cost $14-15M/yr regardless. What's another $4-5M? (QO is $18.9M this offseason). Further, Iglesias would be stupid to take it: worst-case scenario and he gets something like 2/$28M, but he could get 3/$45M or more.

I understand your logic and don't disagree.  They're gonna have about 40 - 50 mil to spend.  Most likely is that they let him go.  They might re-sign him.  They won't give him a QO.  The year to year budget for this team takes precedence over much else.  

For you guys who follow all of our guys extensively, what are some prospects (name as many you’d like) that you feel you alone on being super high on? (or at least are much higher on than the consensus).  Also in reverse, what are some prospects you are alone on being super low on?  (again at least compared to the consensus)

26 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

1/$19M isn't a bad deal for a closer, especially one of the best in baseball.

It's a high AAV, but the trade-off is that you don't have the long-term risk on the books.

This team has given out tons of 1 year ~10 million deals to back-end starters (Teheran, Quintana, Harvey, Cahill), so I don't see why they wouldn't give offer a 1 year, high AAV to an elite closer.

Just now, mmc said:

For you guys who follow all of our guys extensively, what are some prospects (name as many you’d like) that you feel you alone on being super high on? (or at least are much higher on than the consensus).  Also in reverse, what are some prospects you are alone on being super low on?  (again at least compared to the consensus)

High On-

David MacKinnon: he crushed it at AA this year. He was old for the level though, which makes me further question why the organization didn't promote him to AAA. I feel like he could be another Jared Walsh/Jose Rojas who is a good statistical performer that hits their way into a major league opportunity despite low prospect status.

Edwin Sanchez: I don't really know a ton about him or his stuff in general (though should get a greater sense next season). 2019 13th round pick out of Puerto Rico who was great this season in his first professional games.

Low On-
Aaron Hernandez: I haven't seen his stuff as good as it's claimed to have been. He walks a ton of guys and should be converted to the pen. Frankly, I don't understand how he hasn't been converted to the bullpen yet.

Livan Soto: Reports are he plays good enough defense to be a super utility player, but I don't see how he can be when he has a 75 wRC+ in 406 PA's in High-A. I guess he is young, but he just can't hit and doesn't really walk a ton.

Hector Yan: he has a funky delivery, which helps him, but he has bad stuff and got torched in High-A. His stuff has declined massively, and I don't think he can really be considered a prospect anymore.

With most of the milb team's season being canceled. There were alot of good and also bads in the system. 

Goods. 

Vera and Paris: We finally have solid prospects in the middle of the field. In another year or two, these guys could be our next Marsh and Adell.

Detmers: Impressed by the improvements, and I still think there is still more to work on. 

Jackson: Missed time, but a good year. Seem like he's going to be a hit ot miss propsects. 

Daniels; I would say is the Breakout Milb pitcher for us. Showing a 3 upside 

Stefanic; While Daniels can be considered the breakout pitcher, Stefanic can be considered the breakout hitter. Really like that Michael young comp and if he even becomes 70% of young, I'll take it. 

Disappointments

Adams;  Lucky for him, he is still young and so next year will be that much important 

Yan; seem like he took a step back. 

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I understand your logic and don't disagree.  They're gonna have about 40 - 50 mil to spend.  Most likely is that they let him go.  They might re-sign him.  They won't give him a QO.  The year to year budget for this team takes precedence over much else.  

It is risk/reward situation. Let's say there's an 80-90% chance Raisel would refuse the QO. If they don't sign him, they get a "free" compensation pick. So it would be risking 10-20% to assure they get either Raisel or some compensation. Worst-case scenario and they over pay him for one year. I'd make the QO, personally speaking.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

High On-

David MacKinnon: he crushed it at AA this year. He was old for the level though, which makes me further question why the organization didn't promote him to AAA. I feel like he could be another Jared Walsh/Jose Rojas who is a good statistical performer that hits their way into a major league opportunity despite low prospect status.

Edwin Sanchez: I don't really know a ton about him or his stuff in general (though should get a greater sense next season). 2019 13th round pick out of Puerto Rico who was great this season in his first professional games.

Low On-
Aaron Hernandez: I haven't seen his stuff as good as it's claimed to have been. He walks a ton of guys and should be converted to the pen. Frankly, I don't understand how he hasn't been converted to the bullpen yet.

Livan Soto: Reports are he plays good enough defense to be a super utility player, but I don't see how he can be when he has a 75 wRC+ in 406 PA's in High-A. I guess he is young, but he just can't hit and doesn't really walk a ton.

Hector Yan: he has a funky delivery, which helps him, but he has bad stuff and got torched in High-A. His stuff has declined massively, and I don't think he can really be considered a prospect anymore.

Glad you mentioned MacKinnon, he's someone I wanted to ask about the general consensus behind him is.  I post a lot of numbers in here but ultimately that's the extent of most my baseball knowledge.  I know nothing about stuff, tools, what specific batting stats to look at etc so I love seeing you guys break it down.