• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

If they think he didn't throw enough innings, they'll send him to Fall Ball. Either the AFL or fall instructs at the complex where they can control some of the variables more easily, like Spring Training. 

If they think he did throw enough innings, he'll shut down until the second week of November, then go on a non-arm intensive routine that focuses on core and hip strength. He'd be on that 4 days a week until second week of December where he's start playing catch daily. First week of January he'd start with short (15-20 pitches) bullpens twice a week, operating at 80%. Come reporting date for pitchers and catchers, he'll have built up those bullpen sessions to around 30 pitches at 90%. By April and May, health providing, he'd be built up to 80-90 pitches every fifth day.  

And working hard on developing that 3rd pitch to go with the sick heat and slider

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

Why wouldn't he still be in the org next year?

I doubt he's gonna get picked in the major league rule 5 draft, and surely the Angels would protect him from the minor league phase of the rule 5 draft.

I would be surprised if he didn't get picked in the R5.  Tons of roster moves coming this winter with a bunch of FA, guys on the 60d IL and a bunch of dead weight.  I have to think that Davis is a lock for the 40 man.  

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I would be surprised if he didn't get picked in the R5.  Tons of roster moves coming this winter with a bunch of FA, guys on the 60d IL and a bunch of dead weight.  I have to think that Davis is a lock for the 40 man.  

Power, speed, versatility, age 24

Keeper

Could just be one of the late bloomers.

Edited by Angel Oracle

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

You may be right, I'm just not sure that he is a lock. He isn't on any of the major outlets' top prospect lists, which would seem to show the industry's perception of him.

14 hours ago, Trendon said:

Why wouldn't he still be in the org next year?

I doubt he's gonna get picked in the major league rule 5 draft, and surely the Angels would protect him from the minor league phase of the rule 5 draft.

I'm not 100% up-to-speed on minor league Rule 5 phases of the draft, or minor league free agency. If I recall we plucked him in minor league R5 last year, so I know he's hit eligibility for that once before. 

I don't think he'll be selected in the MLB phase of the R5, but don't think that's a guarantee either. A cellar-dweller might have no problem at least checking him out as a UT player to start next year given that he has some prospect pedigree, and I'm not 100% sure the Angels protect him given how many IF/UT types they already have on the 40.

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'm not 100% up-to-speed on minor league Rule 5 phases of the draft, or minor league free agency. If I recall we plucked him in minor league R5 last year, so I know he's hit eligibility for that once before. 

I don't think he'll be selected in the MLB phase of the R5, but don't think that's a guarantee either. A cellar-dweller might have no problem at least checking him out as a UT player to start next year given that he has some prospect pedigree, and I'm not 100% sure the Angels protect him given how many IF/UT types they already have on the 40.

From Baseball America: "There is also a minor league phase of the Rule 5 draft. Any player who is on the 38-player Triple-A roster is protected from being picked in the minor league Rule 5 draft."

So I'd assume he'd be among the 38-players they'd protect.

In regards to the major league phase of the Rule 5 draft, I'm also unsure of where Davis stands as far as his probability of being picked or added to the 40-man roster.

Like you said, their 40-man is crammed with similar INF types, but I think they'd DFA Kean Wong and protect Davis over him if there was real concern about losing him.

35 minutes ago, Trendon said:

From Baseball America: "There is also a minor league phase of the Rule 5 draft. Any player who is on the 38-player Triple-A roster is protected from being picked in the minor league Rule 5 draft."

So I'd assume he'd be among the 38-players they'd protect.

In regards to the major league phase of the Rule 5 draft, I'm also unsure of where Davis stands as far as his probability of being picked or added to the 40-man roster.

Like you said, their 40-man is crammed with similar INF types, but I think they'd DFA Kean Wong and protect Davis over him if there was real concern about losing him.

You have Stefanic in there too. 

What about minor league free agency? I believe players selected in the '15 draft - like Davis - will be eligible for minor league free agency this winter.

All I can find is that perhaps since there was no '20 MILB season, that year did not exist, so everyone is pushed back a season.

Edited by totdprods

I just can't imagine a player in the angels system that is more worth of a 40 man spot based on his performance this year and his upside as a 24yo tearing up AAA who can pretty much play any IF or OF position pretty well.  I think he'd absolutely get taken in the R5 draft.  

I'm not sure there's anyone else I would absolutely protect.  Maybe Robinson Pina or maybe Stefanic.  

And don't get me wrong, I don't think Davis is worthy of being a top prospect all of a sudden but with his skill set, I think someone is going to be willing to find out.  And frankly, the halos are pretty desperate for IF depth right now.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I just can't imagine a player in the angels system that is more worth of a 40 man spot based on his performance this year and his upside as a 24yo tearing up AAA who can pretty much play any IF or OF position pretty well.  I think he'd absolutely get taken in the R5 draft.  

I'm not sure there's anyone else I would absolutely protect.  Maybe Robinson Pina or maybe Stefanic.  

And don't get me wrong, I don't think Davis is worthy of being a top prospect all of a sudden but with his skill set, I think someone is going to be willing to find out.  And frankly, the halos are pretty desperate for IF depth right now.  

They may have found their future super utility guy.

Ok seriously though, what the fuck is up with literally every team in this organization being mediocre at best and dog shit at worst?  Only Rocket City finished above .500 (only 2 games over), Salt Lake and Tri-City are bottom feeders, CPX had a losing record and IE just finished 5 games under.  The major league team is looking to be at about .500 at best, likely finishing a few games under.  God this is embarassing.

3 hours ago, mmc said:

Ok seriously though, what the fuck is up with literally every team in this organization being mediocre at best and dog shit at worst?  Only Rocket City finished above .500 (only 2 games over), Salt Lake and Tri-City are bottom feeders, CPX had a losing record and IE just finished 5 games under.  The major league team is looking to be at about .500 at best, likely finishing a few games under.  God this is embarassing.

Maybe because the organization is somewhere between dog shit and mediocre?

At the AAA and maybe even AA level the better teams are probably stacked with career minor leaguers and AAAA type players. At the lower levels it could be from aggressive promotions, injuries to expected key contributors, asking players to concentrate on certain things that might limit their success for awhile. That's why most here seem to focus on individuals in the minors and not team record

13 hours ago, mmc said:

You likely won't like this answer because it doesn't support a doom and gloom position but someone who ran a scouting department and then a MLB baseball team explained to me how his teams viewed W/L records .vs  actual progression.   

Basically it went like this...   Find the optimal age of a league in relation to a player's long term career output at the MLB -- so, Low A- 20/21, High A - 21/22, AA - 22/23, and AAA -23/24.  The lower number is indicative of the typical age of star level MLB players when they were at the respective level, the bigger number the typical age a solid to regular player was at the level. The next part of the equation was to apply playtime standards -- granted this was for the previously longer season but whatever it's still workable..  250 at bats for hitters, 60 IP for SPs... It was his belief that teams interested in progressing players would rarely reach those statistical measures unless they were putting a premium on performance or were below or at the optimal age (the younger figure) at any one level. 

Basically, when you look at a teams record look at the respective ages and the playtime.  If you see a team with a bunch of guys above the optimal ages driving the stats then the record is pretty meaningless, if you see a bunch of guys at or below the optimal age driving the performance the only time you really want to get geeked is if the team is doing really well.

That said.  Tri-City had the worst collection of bats at one level I've seen for an Angels affiliate in a long time. I guess some of it may have been injury driven but that park tended to play very hitter friendly and the performances were putrid. Still if you apply the processes to the actual team, 7 hitters reached 250 PAs.. I'm using PAs because the season was shorter than in the past and I wanted to get as big a sample of players as possible. Of those seven, four of them fall into that sweet zone and the only "performer" was Brendon Davis (in his age 23 season), who people are seemingly very enamored of given his three level progression. On the pitching front there were two pitchers and only one of them was in that sweet zone of 21/22 -- Hector Yan.

We knew going into this year the Angels system was young. Their age coupled with the lost year of "progression" may have dinged them more than had the players been more experienced.  I still think the hitters were just bad but whatever..  

Edit: I just looked up the top team in the league.  Eugene (SFG), also had 7 players reach 250 PAs, of those seven, three were in the 21/22 age bracket but none were 21.  Pitching wise they had 6, 3 of them 22 or younger.  They seemingly chose to keep their SPs at the same level all year.  Second place Spokane (COL) also had 7 hitters, 2 in the range. They had 5 pitchers hit 60 IP, 2 of them were 22 or younger, like Eugene they seem to have kept their guys at the level.  The M's High A team had 10 guys reach 250 PAs only 2 were 22 or younger. Pitching wise 3 reached 60 IP, 1 was 22 or younger. Hillsboro (AZ) had 8, 5 of them 22 or younger. Vancouver (TOR), had 8 hitters reach 250 PAs, one of them 22 or under -- but none were over 23. They had 3 pitchers get to 60 IP, 2 of them were 22 or younger, but all three had dreadful ERAs... There will always be guys who are exceptions to the rule because of injuries -- particularly pitchers who can miss two years with TJS and the sort.  But for hitters age vs league tends to play big.   

It's a weird season because of the lost year last season. You look at that Vancouver team and they had 7 hitters who were 23 but several of them skipped Low A completely so they don't really fit the profile of an older (more experienced) group of hitters -- that may be the hardest team to really gauge.