Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

This is what's changed.  The layers of talent haven't existed like this since the Stoneman years. Offensively it still doesnt, but hopefully that starts to improve.  If Adams and the other OFers can show improvement there next year we might see a change at least in one position.

Btw, I would not be surprised to hear the Angels end up moving Jackson to a corner or OF spot.  I think Vera may be moving to third, and I can see Knowles be viewed as an IFer first OFer second next season.

Yeah I think Jackson ends up in a corner INF or OF spot, long-term, he'll do better in one of those spots defensively, probably. Keystone is still a possible option, too, but a corner spot seems likely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I like his optimistic view on Adams - that's a bit encouraging. 

I guess he doesn't consider Chris Rodriguez a prospect anymore.

It will be interesting to see who is better between Vera and Paris. My sense is that Vera has the edge on extra base power, but Paris will get on base more. But we'll see.

No Maitan! Fake news.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I like his optimistic view on Adams - that's a bit encouraging. 

I guess he doesn't consider Chris Rodriguez a prospect anymore.

It will be interesting to see who is better between Vera and Paris. My sense is that Vera has the edge on extra base power, but Paris will get on base more. But we'll see.

No Maitan! Fake news.

Jordyn Adams drops out of the top 10 in our list going into 2022.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Jordyn Adams drops out of the top 10 in our list going into 2022.

 

A bad wheel all season would legitimately have a big impact on a guy whose entire game is built upon his legs.  Even the weak contact and constantly rolling over like he has at times would make more sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Maybe. I'd definitely rank him behind Detmers, Rodriguez, Bachman, Paris, and Vera. But after that, he's in the mix. Adell and Marsh being off the list helps.

 

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

A bad wheel all season would legitimately have a big impact on a guy whose entire game is built upon his legs.  Even the weak contact and constantly rolling over like he has at times would make more sense.

I guess. But that Jared Tims take on Jordyn Adams is a joke. Byron Buxton? lol. 

Still think Eppler botched the 2018 (Jordyn Adams) and 2019 for that matter (Will Wilson) drafts by selecting another toolsy OF in the first round after taking Marsh in the 2nd round and Adell in the first round the previous two years. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

 

I guess. But that Jared Tims take on Jordyn Adams is a joke. Byron Buxton? lol. 

Still think Eppler botched the 2018 (Jordyn Adams) and 2019 for that matter (Will Wilson) drafts by selecting another toolsy OF in the first round after taking Marsh in the 2nd round and Adell in the first round the previous two years. 

 

 

I don't think he's saying Adams will become Buxton, just that they're similar in type, and such players sometimes take awhile to figure things out. Plus, the injury.

After the five I mentioned (Detmers, C-Rod, Bachman, Vera, Paris), I don't think anyone is clearly and obviously a better prospect. We get into a grey area. I'm not saying I'm going to rank Adams #6, but it will be somewhere in the #6-12 range.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't think he's saying Adams will become Buxton, just that they're similar in type, and such players sometimes take awhile to figure things out. Plus, the injury.

After the five I mentioned (Detmers, C-Rod, Bachman, Vera, Paris), I don't think anyone is clearly and obviously a better prospect. We get into a grey area. I'm not saying I'm going to rank Adams #6, but it will be somewhere in the #6-12 range.

Detmers, C-Rod, Bachman, Vera, Paris, Jackson, Daniel, Quero, Davis, Stefanic is my top 10 right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

A bad wheel all season would legitimately have a big impact on a guy whose entire game is built upon his legs.  Even the weak contact and constantly rolling over like he has at times would make more sense.

This is why fans are generally not good scouts. 😄

Adams still has a big ceiling and IP is right he has an injury that impacts one of his greatest assets, his fantastic speed.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

 

I guess. But that Jared Tims take on Jordyn Adams is a joke. Byron Buxton? lol. 

Still think Eppler botched the 2018 (Jordyn Adams) and 2019 for that matter (Will Wilson) drafts by selecting another toolsy OF in the first round after taking Marsh in the 2nd round and Adell in the first round the previous two years. 

 

 

This is not Jared's take, he borrowed it from a different source, I read this very same thing months ago from another baseball writer. He should have referenced that source or at least mentioned it was not his original thought. To be clear I like Jared I think he provides a lot of useful Angels information, but this didn't originate from him, directly.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't think he's saying Adams will become Buxton, just that they're similar in type, and such players sometimes take awhile to figure things out. Plus, the injury.

After the five I mentioned (Detmers, C-Rod, Bachman, Vera, Paris), I don't think anyone is clearly and obviously a better prospect. We get into a grey area. I'm not saying I'm going to rank Adams #6, but it will be somewhere in the #6-12 range.

And in the end, Jordyn does seem to have similar potential skills to Byron, like good OF range (I don't think he is quite as rangy as Buxton), great speed, potential for some decent power, etc., so I agree with AJ that he was probably referring to the similarity. He (Buxton) will have to show it, but his relative baseball inexperience combined with his injury is probably the reason his season suffered so much. I still think the guy could blossom quickly in future seasons, hopefully.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Still think Eppler botched the 2018 (Jordyn Adams) and 2019 for that matter (Will Wilson) drafts by selecting another toolsy OF in the first round after taking Marsh in the 2nd round and Adell in the first round the previous two years. 

Agreed on the Will Wilson selection. That pick just has always seemed strange, right from when they made the pick.

Eppler/Swanson seemed to like picking high school, athletic up-the-middle players, but then picked a college bat who likely couldn't stick at SS.

Then, of course, he gets traded to dump Cozart's salary in the offseason.

I will always wonder if the Angels made that pick for the Giants knowing that they were gonna trade Wilson + Cozart salary's to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing with most of the prospect lists you see is that they value prospects with upside and long-term potential more than prospects who may be closer to the majors with a higher floor.

So you'll see guys like Adams at the top of the lists even after a year where they struggle. Same thing with Vera, Placencia, Jackson, etc. if any of them struggle. Meanwhile, guys like Stefanic aren't gonna be high up because they're not perceived to have a ton of upside, even if they're knocking on the door for the majors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...