• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Like Adell, he was cheated out of a year of development. Even more so not being part of the taxi squad. A whole year of letting the rust develop and skills fade. I have decided this is simply a make up test for school missed. Next season he has fewer excuses but this year he gets an exemption from too much criticism. 

Adams was part of the group that trained at Blair Field last year.

Adams is the most disappointing prospect this year, and it isn't particularly close.

Pre-2021: Edging into Adell-Marsh territory with dreams of an even higher upside than either, primed for a big breakthrough season with the back that could see him quickly promoted to AA.

Now: A year of disappointment, looks lost and lacking skills. We may need to start thinking of him as a good future 4OF, sort of like what we hoped Knowles would be.

Knowles would be second but the expectations were a lot lower.

2 hours ago, John Smith said:

db582e4c4b241b3f9efefb68b9de0147_x96.jpe

roster moves 9/6: OF Bryce Teodosio placed on Injured List. OF Cade Cabbiness and RHP John Swanda transferred to Double-A Rocket City.

-------

A lot of leap-frogging probably due to the co-vid issues at Tri-City

The Co-Vid issues are at Rocket City though, correct?

9 hours ago, mmc said:

What prospect would you guys say has disappointed you the most this season?  Please don't say someone who has been injured for most of the season, I'm talking purely based on production.

I'd say Hector Yan.

He was so highly thought of that he was added to the 40-man roster in the 2019 offseason to be protected from the Rule 5 draft. It seems like his 2019 stuff never came back at the Alternate Site in 2020 or this year at Tri-City. At the very least, you thought he could be a high-leverage bullpen arm who threw in the mid 90's with funk. Now, he's sitting high 80's, low 90's with his fastball and getting crushed at High-A. He's young, but I think he's gotta be at risk of being DFA'd this offseason.

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

Like Adell, he was cheated out of a year of development. Even more so not being part of the taxi squad. A whole year of letting the rust develop and skills fade. I have decided this is simply a make up test for school missed. Next season he has fewer excuses but this year he gets an exemption from too much criticism. 

the only thing Adams and Adell have in common.  Adell looked like crap last year at the major league level.  At six months younger than Adams is now.  The he proceeded to crush at AAA.  Granted in a hitters league but they're still apples and oranges.  

Not saying flat out that Adams is a bust or anything.  Of all the guys in the system who needed that PT every single day to keep the ball rolling, Adams is probably at the top of the list.  He has a .350 babip and is hitting .225 with zero pop.  

Hey, I'm willing to give as much slack to these guys as anyone.  I want him to do well.  Of course.  But  a lot of guys.  Pretty much every guy went through the same issues over the last couple years.  And I tend to have higher expectations for guys drafted 17th overall.  Which might be unfair but it is what it is.  

And frankly, I don't care too much about the k's or the lack of power or the poor defense as much as I do his overall bat to ball skills.  I hope the light goes on and maybe it will.  But the lack of a hit tool to this point concerns me.  I, like everyone else, hope that it can be explained away by the lost year.  

47 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I am still confused at why Stefanic still hasn't been called up....

My best guess is that Minasian, who is apparently a fan of Stefanic, already intends on adding him this winter to protect him from the R5. 

Ahead of him are Mayfield, Rengifo, Wong, and to a lesser degree, Rojas, Ward, Thaiss (all capable of playing some 2B and/or 3B, and Barreto is still theoretically an option in this mix too but I imagine he's cut loose this winter). Rendon and Fletcher hold down 2B/3B too. Nine guys who can play either position before you factor in Stefanic (or other far unlikelier R5 eligible guys like Livan Soto, D'Shawn Knowles, Luis Aviles, Brendon Davis who also 'reach' that depth/R5 threshold this winter....Soto has MLB-caliber defense now, and Knowles has some shine, but still pretty much impossible they hit the 40 this winter).

Either way, all of those names occupy space on a 40-man roster that's actually pretty crowded, and at least a couple of those names will need to be culled. If Minasian already plans on adding Stefanic, there really isn't much reason to promote him now (and deal with another 40-man crunch given current pitching woes) to fight for playing time when he could get everyday ABs in SLC while Minasian sorts out who else he should keep. 

Edited by totdprods

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

With Stefanic my guess is they don’t plan on protecting him from the Rule 5 draft.  There is less risk of exposing to the R5 draft than having to take someone off the 40 man and have them being claimed. 

I have a feeling we shouldn't get too attached to a lot of the relief names we've seen come up these last two months.

Obviously, they like Marte, Peguero, Junk, Tyler, Criswell enough to have given them 40-man spots now, but all were also R5 eligible this winter as it was and to be frank, most are fringe arms up-and-down, dime-a-dozen arms probably at best. Now that doesn't mean we're going to DFA all of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if part of why they're up now isn't just out of necessity, but also to get a true, up-close look in the bigs, and it wouldn't totally shock me if someone like Peguero or Criswell or Tyler was DFA'ed early in the offseason.

Basically, I disagree, because I think there will be 40-man room for Stefanic, because I'm expecting some turnover on the pitching margins. In fact, part of why we promoted some of these guys so aggressively could have been an effort to artificially inflate some of their trade value, i.e., "Oh, he's a dynamic, MLB-ready and auditioned young relief arm with options!" that can be shopped to cash-strapped teams for mid-range arb-eligible relievers. Minasian can immediately shop these guys to teams who, like the Angels last year, don't want to pay someone like Matt Andriese $2m or Hansel Robles $3m, or a team that's full up on out-of-options relief arms like the Angels a couple years back (remember when Eppler would seemingly claim literally anyone who had an option simply because they could be shuttled back and forth?) and swap out a couple of these guys for one of the out-of-options arms. The Rays' entire bullpen is basically out of options next year, as are many with the Marlins, Twins, Pirates...could easily see Minasian taking two or three or four of our recently promoted arms and turning them into a MLB reliever or two from those teams.

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Agreed, except that Tyler in the minors and in MLB debut is showing something.

Definately looking forward to seeing what he does in a full MLB season 

I've liked what I've seen from Tyler, Warren, Wantz, even Peguero...haven't really seen Marte enough and Criswell...eh. He's fine for depth. Not sure what to think of Junk yet. Haven't really been impressed with any of the stuff I caught from the minors. 

That makes them useful here, but also useful via trade...we've desperately needed a stable of young relief arms with options for a couple years, so I'm thrilled we have that going into '22, but I don't think the ceiling is high enough for any of these guys yet that I'd be too shook up if they were moved for an arm or two that was more established. Minasian can truly shop quantity of prospects here for quality, which I think is a good problem to have.

18 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I've liked what I've seen from Tyler, Warren, Wantz, even Peguero...haven't really seen Marte enough and Criswell...eh. He's fine for depth. Not sure what to think of Junk yet. Haven't really been impressed with any of the stuff I caught from the minors. 

That makes them useful here, but also useful via trade...we've desperately needed a stable of young relief arms with options for a couple years, so I'm thrilled we have that going into '22, but I don't think the ceiling is high enough for any of these guys yet that I'd be too shook up if they were moved for an arm or two that was more established. Minasian can truly shop quantity of prospects here for quality, which I think is a good problem to have.

Especially if trying to limit extra bullpen money mainly to re-signing Iglesias, so that the money is there for that one solid veteran starter like Scherzer, Gausman, or DeSclafani

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Especially if trying to limit extra bullpen money mainly to re-signing Iglesias, so that the money is there for that one solid veteran starter like Scherzer, Gausman, or DeSclafani

That could bring us round-about back to Rengifo, Mayfield, Wong, Thaiss, Rojas, even Stefanic...they could just as easily be shipped out for mid-range vet RP help just like the new young arms mentioned above, and it might be best for them to get MLB playing time and eyes now to Minasian figure out who to keep, or for other teams to figure out who they'd like.

I said this elsewhere, but the Angels roster really is close to competitive...the only ingredients we've lacked have been health and luck. Had Trout and Rendon been healthy and we had a little better luck with Quintana and Bundy being average and not terrible, we'd probably be right in the WC race. For the most part the same team is back next year that should get us there, we just need to stay healthy and get lucky with our SP add for once.

Warren, to be his lock down arm. He's showing nice command of his pitches and has the ability and stuff to pitch to the 4 corners of the strike-zone 

Wantz, Big strike-out pitcher, but I see him more of a Middle-reliever. He needs to improve his command/control on his slider and change for him to take the next step.It'll be interesting to see how he's used, he has the ability to go 3+ innings (suarez role) or pitch every day. 

Tyler, Really solid debut, but would like to see more from him. Same can be said for Marte and Peguero. 

Junk, I see him more of 4/5 or a Long-Releiver. I felt like he hanged and got away with alot of stuff in his start. Fastball is good, but command of the secondaries need to improve.

At the moment, I have Wantz, and Warren as locks for next year, if Mart can string along a few more appearance he's also in the group. 

1 minute ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Warren, to be his lock down arm. He's showing nice command of his pitches and has the ability and stuff to pitch to the 4 corners of the strike-zone 

Wantz, Big strike-out pitcher, but I see him more of a Middle-reliever. He needs to improve his command/control on his slider and change for him to take the next step.It'll be interesting to see how he's used, he has the ability to go 3+ innings (suarez role) or pitch every day. 

Tyler, Really solid debut, but would like to see more from him. Same can be said for Marte and Peguero. 

Junk, I see him more of 4/5 or a Long-Releiver. I felt like he hanged and got away with alot of stuff in his start. Fastball is good, but command of the secondaries need to improve.

At the moment, I have Wantz, and Warren as locks for next year, if Mart can string along a few more appearance he's also in the group. 

Angels have ZERO LOCKS for next year in the pen.