• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

On 8/11/2021 at 10:05 AM, Inside Pitch said:

I've always been a PITA about defense and run prevention so I've always keyed on that...

Its funny too because Adam Kennedy's defense caught a huge amount of bullshit from Angels fans early on which was pretty funny given how his career went.  Then HK comes up and everyone was whining he wasn't AK defensively so I can see where the impression may have come.

Both those guys got saddled with reps they didn't deserve... Only reason its so vivid for me is I remember beating my head into a wall defending them both... Lol..

I hope Stefanic gets a chance.  With Rengifo possibly hurt, maybe he gets one.

I think there were questions with Kendrick's defense in the minors. People (minor league evaluators) were pretty surprised with his defense when he came up. I think part of it may have had to do with the other guys in the system. Aybar and (I can't recall the second baseman that we traded to KC and eventually got back) were both supposed to be awesome defensively.

35 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I think there were questions with Kendrick's defense in the minors. People (minor league evaluators) were pretty surprised with his defense when he came up. I think part of it may have had to do with the other guys in the system. Aybar and (I can't recall the second baseman that we traded to KC and eventually got back) were both supposed to be awesome defensively.

Alberto Callaspo.   Yeah I mentioned him among all the MIFers in the system who were better defenders than Howie.  Speaks volumes to the amount of depth the system had at the time.  When Callaspo and Aybar played at the same level they were supposedly so in sync people joked they had telepathy or something.

All six of those guys played at least 400 games in MLB.  It was crazy.

6 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Seems like Pina is ready for AA. Or very close to it.

Is it possible Daniel could be a fixture in the rotation next year? I mean he'll obviously be one of our main depth pieces.

I’ve brought it up a couple times, but since Daniel still has one more winter after this one to be R5 eligible, there might be a couple guys ahead of him especially depending on how they see him. 

I personally think he profiles a little better long-term as a reliever, but he’s still a little lacking on a wipeout second pitch to be that. As a starter, he’s relying heavily on his fastball - and it’s working - but might not have the same effect in the bigs. So either way, there needs to be a little more development on secondary stuff. Back to my R5 point, if the Angels see him as a reliever, there’s several guys who will be R5 eligible this winter who are more the reliever mold and could be prioritized due to that. 

11 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Seems like Pina is ready for AA. Or very close to it.

Is it possible Daniel could be a fixture in the rotation next year? I mean he'll obviously be one of our main depth pieces.

Yes and no. He's, developmentally he could be ready in that timeframe. No, you don't want to need him next year. If he's in the rotation at any point next year, it means something either went terribly wrong or terribly right. 

49 minutes ago, mmc said:

2 homer game for Stefanic

If the Angels are looking at players that may contribute next season they may want to move on from Jose Iglesias (.688 OPS) and give Stefanic a try at 2B and move Fletcher over to SS. 

Stefanic is slashing .339/.409/.514 on the season with 14 HR. 

43 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If the Angels are looking at players that may contribute next season they may want to move on from Jose Iglesias (.688 OPS) and give Stefanic a try at 2B and move Fletcher over to SS. 

Stefanic is slashing .339/.409/.514 on the season with 14 HR. 

I like stefanic, but this would contribute to the poor defense the angels are showing right now.  If they're gonna do that then they should do it now.  See if he's got more than he should.  

19 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

I agree with Doc.  I’m not sure I can find a scenario where we improve defensively by putting Fletcher at SS. 

Stefanic could be the utility infielder but I think Maddon would lean toward Mayfield or Gosselin.  Maybe Rengifo or Stefanic get that job but I’m doubtful.  Fletcher’s ability to play shortstop (plus shifting) allows for a utility guy that isn’t that good at SS, but passable in an emergency (Fletch and SS out at the same time) and needs to be able to cover 2nd and 3rd well.  And hopefully hit.

Plus we could use a switch hitting OF/1b with some pop and good OBP.  Don’t forget an ace, closer and a couple of set up guys.

I don't really defensive metrics, I don't think they're that accurate yet - and I also don't understand them as well as I'd like. 

As a 2B this year, I see Fletcher has 5 defensive runs saved as a 2B in 845 innings, and 4 as a SS in 145 innings. 
Fletcher's UZR/150 as a 2B is -5.9 (after averaging over +10 the last three years) and as a SS is -4.6, so I can see there how his SS defense is much worse given the difference in innings played, but by that same logic, his defense is horrible compared to his last three years. Iglesias with 875 IP is at a UZR/150 of -7.8.

Out of 59 SS with at least 100 innings at SS, Fletcher is 40th in UZR/150, Iglesias is 43rd. Simmons is 37 with -1.4.
Corey Seager is 59th with a UZR/150 of -35. Yikes.

2B with the same criteria? Fletcher this year is 63 of 77 players.

I also get that what we see often tends to be more accurate versus fielding data these days still, but also could cloud some of our judgement.

I'm not saying this means Fletcher at SS and Stefanic or Cesar Hernandez or Eduardo Escobar or whoever is a better plan, just sort of curious for some more data backing it up or to help me understand. 

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I like stefanic, but this would contribute to the poor defense the angels are showing right now.  If they're gonna do that then they should do it now.  See if he's got more than he should.  

I agree wholeheartedly, I'd also think it wise to remind people that SLC and the AAA West in general tends to favor hitters (Team OPS is .846),  but as we try to gauge who can or cannot help the defense I cant help but wonder if there is ANY player out there who could overcome the defensive positioning that has been an issue all year.

The Angels are just slightly below to absolutely neutral  in areas like Good Plays/Bad plays runs above average, Total Zone FLD runs above average, they are upper third in chances and put outs which is neat given the pitching staff K's a ton of people.  But you can't defend a gaping wide hole on the left side of the IF when your pitching INTO that hole.

27 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I agree wholeheartedly, I'd also think it wise to remind people that SLC and the AAA West in general tends to favor hitters (Team OPS is .846),  but as we try to gauge who can or cannot help the defense I cant help but wonder if there is ANY player out there who could overcome the defensive positioning that has been an issue all year.

The Angels are just slightly below to absolutely neutral  in areas like Good Plays/Bad plays runs above average, Total Zone FLD runs above average, they are upper third in chances and put outs which is neat given the pitching staff K's a ton of people.  But you can't defend a gaping wide hole on the left side of the IF when your pitching INTO that hole.

Regarding their offensive contributions (I have absolutely no disagreement with what you said regarding defense), Stefanic's Fletcher-esque contact skills and lack of strikeouts are what's most intriguing to me, and that is fairly independent from the what type of parks he's playing in. 

His BABip and SLG are definitely inflated in Rocket City and Salt Lake, but that's not completely where my focus and faith in his ability lies. Fletcher is a bit of a unicorn but we're seeing how well that skillset plays in today's MLB game, even in Fletcher's Jekyl and Hyde season this year. He might not be a .300 hitter like Fletcher, but .270? .280? Still above-average in today's game, and unlike Fletcher, he's a little better at taking walks. So maybe at minimum he's a .275/.330/.375-.400 guy depending on how much his power has been inflated. Almost Giavotella-like.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Regarding their offensive contributions (I have absolutely no disagreement with what you said regarding defense), Stefanic's Fletcher-esque contact skills and lack of strikeouts are what's most intriguing to me, and that is fairly independent from the what type of parks he's playing in. 

His BABip and SLG are definitely inflated in Rocket City and Salt Lake, but that's not completely where my focus and faith in his ability lies. Fletcher is a bit of a unicorn but we're seeing how well that skillset plays in today's MLB game, even in Fletcher's Jekyl and Hyde season this year. He might not be a .300 hitter like Fletcher, but .270? .280? Still above-average in today's game, and unlike Fletcher, he's a little better at taking walks. So maybe at minimum he's a .275/.330/.375-.400 guy depending on how much his power has been inflated. Almost Giavotella-like.

Batting average type skills are the hardest things to project -- think Howie Kendrick.   Mostly, I was focusing on the defensive end of the spectrum.  Stats aside, Stefanic doesn't pass the eye test defensively. That said, he's a guy that actually SHOULD benefit from a team that does a lot of shifting and defensive positioning because it's those lateral movements that tend to expose his weaknesses on defense.

18 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Adam Eaton was cut lose, Iglesias should be next. Fletcher can't be worse than Iglesias at SS. 

Defensively he can, for sure. But it wouldn’t bother me if Iglesias was released, but do him the favor of doing it before September 1st so he can go to a team with playoff aspirations 

Just now, Hells Rainbow said:

Defensively he can, for sure. But it wouldn’t bother me if Iglesias was released, but do him the favor of doing it before September 1st so he can go to a team with playoff aspirations 

Oh yeah I agree. I've seen Stefanic get time in at SS in AAA as well. 

I don't think he's going to be the power hitter he's shown in AAA (13 HR in AAA, vs. 1 in AA) but it's nice to see him barrel balls up well. That's something Fletcher doesn't do very well, despite the high BA. Maybe Stefanic is a doubles machine with 10 HR in the big leagues that bats near .300 with a decent OBP/SLG. I'd rather go all in with regards to SP and RP this offseason than spend another dime on another position player TBH.