• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

22 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Early in the season we were getting good reviews on the other pitcher (not Naughton) we got in the Goodwin trade.  Any idea how he’s doing?  

Jose Salvador...  He's striking out a lot of people, keeping the ball in the park.  He's walking too many and he's been giving up hits but, not sure if there is a defensive issue at Low A.

On 8/2/2021 at 6:21 PM, Angelsjunky said:

I'd like to think the Angels will prioritize the well-being of the human being and development of the baseball player over economic considerations, especially given that the first two determine his actual performance.

Not picking on your whole thought process here, I agree with it, but apparently every Angels Minor Leaguer would disagree with the above, currently.

13 minutes ago, ettin said:

Not picking on your whole thought process here, I agree with it, but apparently every Angels Minor Leaguer would disagree with the above, currently.

Yeah, I know - it sucks. But even so, Adell is an investment. All minor leaguers are to varying degrees, but the vast majority don't yield any "return." Adell most certainly will...if handled correctly.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Jose Salvador...  He's striking out a lot of people, keeping the ball in the park.  He's walking too many and he's been giving up hits but, not sure if there is a defensive issue at Low A.

Had one start where allowing 10 runs, 10 hits, and 3 BBs.

Discounting it, 60 innings, 3.75 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 77/25 Ks/BBs

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

So there's a few things that Quero is doing right at least by this angle. One of the bigger ones is that his back elbow is down and his hands are for the most part, already back. Too many guys have drifting hands and point their elbows back as a matter of comfort. He's removed that step and effectively shortened his swing as a result. 

The second is a strong base, with steady bent (but not too bent) knees. Some guys can get away with a more upright stance but when that happens, as the ball is coming in, their head tends to change levels during the swing. When that happens, it makes it hard to stay in the ball because the eye perceives the ball moving even more than it already does. His head is steady, showing him to focus on the ball easier. 

The third is his load. Lots of players are using a higher kick these days. There's even a fad going around where players have a higher kick but instead of turning their hips in to load, the for hours straight up and down. Jo Adell was big on that last year and before. And while it works for some, it says the batter of his natural hip load. By turning your hips, showing the pitcher your ass so to speak, you've loaded, or in Japan they call it coiled, and are ready to unleash your swing.

Quero's swing does it perfect. A short kick, a hip load, no starting hands, head is steady, and he strikes. And he swings through the ball too. Hands finish high. 

If I could perfectly design a swing based on everything we try to teach players, it would look a lot like what we see Quero doing. Though completely different body types, and so the swing looks different, but fundamentally being the same, it's Christian Yelich's swing. 

It's a thing of beauty. The more I watch, the more I like with him.

18 year-old catcher who is destroying pitching, what’s not to like?

Will be curious to see how the defense and handling of pitchers develops.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Thanks, Scotty. I'm trying not to get too excited, but as I polish up my updated prospects list, he's skyrocketed up.

I know it's probably too late for the top prospect list, but I've watched him quite a bit more and haver now done more research. He's now up to #10 on my private list. 

And with the quality of talent we have in the top 10, that's saying something. 

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, I know - it sucks. But even so, Adell is an investment. All minor leaguers are to varying degrees, but the vast majority don't yield any "return." Adell most certainly will...if handled correctly.

Well I think that is the point about "return". Normally "return" is tied directly to "investment". Personally, I think if any Major League team took the time and money to invest in their Minor League players and then evaluate what works and does not work, they would find that making modest investments in proper housing, nutrition, life coaching, language lessons, etc., could help their investments yield better returns as a whole?

This is a multi-billion dollar enterprise and I have to think investment metrics would prove out that keeping any individual player's focus completely on baseball would help yield generally higher quality Major League assets, which could save teams a lot of money in free agency, etc.

Just a thought, I could be wrong, but I feel pretty confident that most MLB teams have not emphasized or invested properly in their Minor League systems and/or have performed the legwork to know what works and doesn't work in creating better ball players, beyond the physics-related aspects of player performance.

41 minutes ago, ettin said:

Well I think that is the point about "return". Normally "return" is tied directly to "investment". Personally, I think if any Major League team took the time and money to invest in their Minor League players and then evaluate what works and does not work, they would find that making modest investments in proper housing, nutrition, life coaching, language lessons, etc., could help their investments yield better returns as a whole?

This is a multi-billion dollar enterprise and I have to think investment metrics would prove out that keeping any individual player's focus completely on baseball would help yield generally higher quality Major League assets, which could save teams a lot of money in free agency, etc.

Just a thought, I could be wrong, but I feel pretty confident that most MLB teams have not emphasized or invested properly in their Minor League systems and/or have performed the legwork to know what works and doesn't work in creating better ball players, beyond the physics-related aspects of player performance.

You really need to look no further than the Dominican and Venezuelan academy systems.   The sole reason they were created in the first place was to give those young players access to better health, food, housing...  because amazingly they figured out that half starving players tend to see poorer performances than those in peak physical and mental shape.

MLB has been getting over forever..  Which is why it hasn't changed.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

Preaching to the choir, brother. I don't like the mentality of what is essentially exploitation, but it is how things work right now. 

I was just pointing out that the closer a player gets to the majors, and they better they are, the more they're "protected" like an investment. In the low minors, especially for low upside prospects, it is more a kind of feudalism or farming. You see who survives, but you don't really support them in the process. Kind of Darwinian, really (and I am not a fan of social Darwinism).

Seminaris is having a really solid first professional year. He has 8 strikeouts through 5 innings with only 3 hits, 2 walks and 2 earned runs allowed.

Heading into today he had a 5.84 ERA but a FIP of 4.24 and xFIP of 3.31. The peripherals look REALLY good with a 13.14 K9 , 2.37 BB9 and 1.28 HR9.

I don't know who mentioned it but someone here has mentioned that IE's defense is REALLY bad so this checks out.

I feel like the Angels' starting pitching has taken such a huge step forward from an organizational standpoint from the Majors all the way to the lowest level of the minors that they can afford to start converting a lot of these guys to relief pitchers. Kyle Tyler being one and hopefully they do the same with Aaron Hernandez as well. Hector Yan should be another and at a certain point I was going to say Robinson Pina as well but his second stint with High-A proved me wrong.

I think we need to start taking Brendon Davis seriously. Another HR, now 19 on the year. 

He's actually improved in AA since being called up:

A+: .280/.337/.535, 14 HR in 63 games

AA: .295/.380/.659, 5 HR in 12 games

10 SB, too. Seems very athletic, good power and speed. I'm not ready to call him a good prospect, but he's rising. 23 years old, so not young for AA, but not old.

In other fringy news, one of the non-drafted pickups, Gabe Mathews, is off to a scalding start. He's old for A ball at 23 years old, but he's hitting .471/.591/.1059 in 5 games. 2 HR and 4 doubles. I'm guessing he's shuttled up to A+ quickly.

10 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think we need to start taking Brendon Davis seriously. Another HR, now 19 on the year. 

He's actually improved in AA since being called up:

A+: .280/.337/.535, 14 HR in 63 games

AA: .295/.380/.659, 5 HR in 12 games

10 SB, too. Seems very athletic, good power and speed. I'm not ready to call him a good prospect, but he's rising. 23 years old, so not young for AA, but not old.

In other fringy news, one of the non-drafted pickups, Gabe Mathews, is off to a scalding start. He's old for A ball at 23 years old, but he's hitting .471/.591/.1059 in 5 games. 2 HR and 4 doubles. I'm guessing he's shuttled up to A+ quickly.

Davis is either Jabari Blash or legit.  Having some versatility in the IF helps as well.  His swing is actually pretty compact without a ton of moving parts and you'll see from some of his highlights that he chokes up a decent amount which may be a new thing and why he's making more contact than he has in the past.  Hopefully it keeps up.  

I've fallen for the banana in the tailpipe trick that is an older college guy in A ball before.  But Gabe Matthews could be a fun watch.  He was great for Oregon the past few years and the pac12 has some pretty good competition.  1b version of Calhoun would be nice.  He might be a level skipper if the bat is advanced enough and it certainly seems that A ball isn't even remotely a challenge.  I hope they move him up quickly.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Davis is either Jabari Blash or legit.  Having some versatility in the IF helps as well.  His swing is actually pretty compact without a ton of moving parts and you'll see from some of his highlights that he chokes up a decent amount which may be a new thing and why he's making more contact than he has in the past.  Hopefully it keeps up.  

I've fallen for the banana in the tailpipe trick that is an older college guy in A ball before.  But Gabe Matthews could be a fun watch.  He was great for Oregon the past few years and the pac12 has some pretty good competition.  1b version of Calhoun would be nice.  He might be a level skipper if the bat is advanced enough and it certainly seems that A ball isn't even remotely a challenge.  I hope they move him up quickly.  

You know how to talk dirty to me!

Where is @tdawg87's bunk?