• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

The Angels just added a handful of their UDFA to High-A Tri-City

• Zach Humphreys, C, Texas Christian, .316/.425/.498, 68 H, 215 AB, 6 HR, 36 SO, 39 BB, 9 SB
  • Griffin Mazur, C, Michigan, .247/.370/.411, 39 H, 158 AB, 6 HR, 25 SO, 23 BB, 0 SB
  • Mike Peabody, OF, UC Irvine, .353/.481/.580, 73 H, 207 AB, 9 HR, 56 SO, 26 BB, 9 SB
  • Steven Rivas, OF, Houston, .269/.337/.503, 47 H, 175 AB, 10 HR, 51 SO, 16 BB, 8 SB
  • Kenyon Yovan, RHP/IF, Oregon, .309/.407/.608, 63 H, 204 AB, 17 HR, 54 SO, 28 BB, 1 SB

Kenyon Yovan was also drafted by the Angels in the 27th round in 2019 before deciding to go back to Oregon.

Edited by rafibomb

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Connor Van Scoyoc has been very good in his last three outings for the ACL team.  11th round pick in 2018 out of HS.  6'6" 21yo.  Haven't seen any film on him from this year of yet.  Totally forgot he had TJ surg in 2019.  So it's good to see him back on the bump and doing well after his layoff.  My guess is he gets promoted to A ball soon.  

I guess by soon I meant in a matter of minutes.  

saw a few innings of hernandez tonight for the RCTP.  Sat 94-95 with his fastball.   Not at ton of movement.  Hitters couldn't catch up with it when up.  In the zone it got hit a bit but by and large he only allowed a few hard hit balls.  One of his two hrs allowed was a routine flyout under most circumstances as I've heard that their home park is a bit of a launching pad per the announcer.  Haven't been able to confirm that yet via park factors.  Second hr he gave up was a blast on a fastball down.  Slider was good and sharp with some late break.  Threw a few change ups.  You can tell he's not confident in it.  Behind everything else for sure.  Not much movement.  Ok arm action.  Best pitch tonight was probably the curve.  Big bender with good shape.  Threw it for strikes.  Had periods where he lost his command but mostly held it together.  Wasn't a horrible start actually.  Defense didn't help him and a lot of the hits he gave up were weak grounders that just found holes.  

17 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

saw a few innings of hernandez tonight for the RCTP.  Sat 94-95 with his fastball.   Not at ton of movement.  Hitters couldn't catch up with it when up.  In the zone it got hit a bit but by and large he only allowed a few hard hit balls.  One of his two hrs allowed was a routine flyout under most circumstances as I've heard that their home park is a bit of a launching pad per the announcer.  Haven't been able to confirm that yet via park factors.  Second hr he gave up was a blast on a fastball down.  Slider was good and sharp with some late break.  Threw a few change ups.  You can tell he's not confident in it.  Behind everything else for sure.  Not much movement.  Ok arm action.  Best pitch tonight was probably the curve.  Big bender with good shape.  Threw it for strikes.  Had periods where he lost his command but mostly held it together.  Wasn't a horrible start actually.  Defense didn't help him and a lot of the hits he gave up were weak grounders that just found holes.  

Doesn't sound like a major leaguer to me. He'll be feasted on.

RCTP going to extras.  

Brandon Davis has a short and quick swing.  Not sure he'll have the discipline or recognition to keep moving up but dude has some serious pop.  And today's his b-day.  

They had Cruz behind the plate.  Two errors and a pass ball.  Didn't appear very good at framing to me.  

Some guy names Matthias Dietz came in after Hernandez.  Very tall.  6'5" and in the mid 90's.  Fastball had a ton of movement and really heavy.  Was a 2nd rounder of the O's in 2016 and ended up in Indy ball at one point because he couldn't find the plate.  Clearly has some control issues but was pretty good tonight and has been since the halos picked him up.  Don't think he threw one secondary pitch or at least not one that I noticed but he didn't have to because his fastball is pretty wicked.  If he's found any semblance of control, he could be another guy to keep an eye on for the pen.  

Connor Higgins is a big imposing dude.  I thought for some reason he was a mid 90's guy but he sat 91-92 tonight although it kinda looked like he was throwing more of a two seamer or cutter.  Throws his slider very hard.  like 90ish.  Not a ton of break but pretty sharp.  Let some traffic on but got the final out with a high fastball and got excited fist pumping as he left the mound.  Dude seemed intense

Almeida is a character.  Tons of swag.  Tilted cap with the flat bill ala Rodney.  Got all kids of pumped to k the last guy but smiling and having fun in between.  His fastball is just unhittable.  Saw 99 a few times and he slings it from the left side with very little idea of where it's going.  Gave up a run tonight on a tough defensive play where Martinez and Hunter collided (dove into each other).  They were ok btw.  Both stayed in.  Turned into a bloop triple.  I think he threw two breaking balls in two innings.  Neither of which were near the plate.  Pretty nasty pitch though.  Oh if only someone could harness this kid which I think they've been trying to do for four years.  God help opposing batters if they ever get him to throw strikes consistently.  

43 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Outstanding scouting reports, doc. Thank you for this. 

Brendon Davis has suddenly become an interesting, if fringe, prospect. Like you said, Doc, he's probably too undisciplined to be a quality major leaguer, but he's the type of guy that teams will want to give a shot, in the hopes that he harnesses it a bit. Sometimes guys like this figure it out and have a nice little career. He's clearly got some talent.

Edited by Angelsjunky

24 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Doesn't sound like a major leaguer to me. He'll be feasted on.

don't know about that.  The FB was effective when he threw it where it was supposed to go.  Much like so many guys that end up a 3/4.  His secondary pitches are good enough for that.  He has these moments where he definitely looks like he can hang as a starter and others where he just loses command.  Somewhere in between will make him an ok not great middle reliever.  

A bit more on Davis: He's sort of the anti-Brennan Lund (or Orlando Martinez), guys you know could at least not embarrass themselves in the majors as a 4th or 5th outfielder, but have very limited upside. Davis looks like he'll either breakthrough and be pretty good or, far more likely, never get more than a few cups of coffee.

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

don't know about that.  The FB was effective when he threw it where it was supposed to go.  Much like so many guys that end up a 3/4.  His secondary pitches are good enough for that.  He has these moments where he definitely looks like he can hang as a starter and others where he just loses command.  Somewhere in between will make him an ok not great middle reliever.  

OK. So either a back-end starter, a garden variety middle reliever, or an up-and-down guy (gross).

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

OK. So either a back-end starter, a garden variety middle reliever, or an up-and-down guy (gross).

pretty much although I would give him a little bit more of a ceiling than most guys in that category.  And for the same reasons, I would probably lower his floor a bit considering he might never find that consistency.  And if he does, he might end up better than we thought.