• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

walked two more in the 5th but managed a couple outs.  Final line was 4.2ip, 6h, 4er, 4bb, 4k with a hr allowed.  85 pitches with 45 strikes but again, the fastball was just all over the place.  He battled through traffic and really only one pitch hurt him and that was a total thin air hr.  Could have been a lot worse.  

18 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

we seen the stuff from Rodriguez. its Elite! Personally for me, unless his command/control disappears I wouldn't care about Minor League results. Just make sure he's healthy and increase his pitch count. 

he's never really had command.  He's got control ie he can throw strikes and the pitches are so nasty it doesn't really matter where it ends up in the strike zone.  Especially if he's ahead in the count.  

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

My sense is that Detmers is going to transition much more smoothly to the majors, whereas with CRod we're going to see some ugly starts intermixed with brilliance and overall so-so performance, at least for his first 10-20 starts. But once he gets his command down, he's going to be really good.

he doesn't need impeccable command.  Detmers doesn't either but he needs it more than Rodriguez.  Rodriguez hasn't even shown a ton of control over the last few outings.  So for him it's gonna be about throwing strikes.  Detmers is (in my estimation) going to have some early trouble with the long ball because he throws so many strikes but is still ironing out his command.  

Early on

Detmers will be that guy who gives up 4 runs over 7ip.  

Rodriguez will be that guy who gives up 2-3 runs over 4 or 5 innings.  On 100 pitches.  You'll see a bunch of 3 pitch k's and 4 pitch walks.  

In three years when Trout is old and gray we'll talking about how we need to trade for offense because Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers and Rodriguez will be dominating and the 2021 draft will give us a crazy good pen.  Rendon will be past his prime and we'll have 37 yo Martin Maldonado behind the dish.  Minasian will trade for Jo Adell at the deadline and he'll help us win a WS....In 2024.  Trout's son will run on the field after the game 7 win in anaheim and hug him.  Everyone on this board will cry their eyes out.  And then a month later we'll bitch about Minasian's off season.     

Here's a comp for Chris Rodriguez at least at his current level, Ervin Santana. When he first came up, great fastball velocity and movement. Good slider, but couldn't get a third pitch over. Command was inconsistent. The end result was some starts of sheer brilliance, and others where he was clearly frustrated and so were the fans. 

But Ervin carved out a nice career for himself despite reliever concerns when he first came up. 

Taylor Ward continues to be a quad-A legend. 4 hits, 2 doubles.

Adell and Thaiss two hits each, one of Adell's an HR. Also two more Ks for Jo. Jo being Jo, I guess.

Alex Ramirez 3 hits, HR. Also in ACL, Natanael Santana has been hitting well, 3 more hits and now up to .311. Alejandro Hidalgo a nice outing: 5 IP, 1 ER, 1 walk, 5 Ks, 3 hits.

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Adrian Placencia who was one of the Angels top intl signings last year has a .977 ops in his first 45 at bats with 12 walks and 6 XBH including 3 hrs.  He's listed at 155lbs.  And his BABIP so far is .257.  

Lower BA but more power than I expected. Just imagine when that BABIP goes up - he's going to be a beast.

11 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Taylor Ward continues to be a quad-A legend. 4 hits, 2 doubles.

Adell and Thaiss two hits each, one of Adell's an HR. Also two more Ks for Jo. Jo being Jo, I guess.

Alex Ramirez 3 hits, HR. Also in ACL, Natanael Santana has been hitting well, 3 more hits and now up to .311. Alejandro Hidalgo a nice outing: 5 IP, 1 ER, 1 walk, 5 Ks, 3 hits.

2 scoreless inn by Danish to pick up the win. Could he get call up after this Friday?

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

I know, I know. I'll stay on the Maitan wagon until there's more reason to get off than stay on. 

For instance, right now, despite the lack of production and the subsequent digital ink spilled on him being a bust, a few positive factors remain.

1. He used to be the top international prospect and considered a generational talent for a reason.

2. Billy Eppler, whose judgment on amateurs I put a lot of value in, believed that Kevin Maitan was worth doing everything he did for. Not chancing it to an email or a phone call, he gets his director of scouting, gets on a plane, watches him work out, meets face to face and then offers him a couple million more before any team has a chance to begin a dialogue with him or his representation. I've never seen it heard of a GM doing that.

3. Despite the mass, he's quite athletic and looks good at third base. Good glove, 70 grade arm. And at the plate, the oppo power he has is real. 

4. He's still only 21 and in High A, which is exactly where he would be in a normal developmental curve. He was pushed to developmental levels that he never needed to be pushed to. I argue that had he been allowed to develop on a typical timeline, his numbers would be much more impressive. What if at 17 he got to play with other 17 year olds in the D.R. instead of being pushed stateside and skipping complex ball all together and moving straight into a Pioneer level League? He probably would've destroyed the competition. Or at 18, if he played in the AZL.

5. He didn't get a ST, and is coming off the minor league shutdown. Maybe we can limit expectations this year. Personally, if it were me, I'd put him in Low A Inland Empire for the remainder of the year and next year as a 22 year old, put him in Advanced A and let him get on a normal, consistent developmental level where he can experience some success. 

I still think that at some point, it's clicks for him and he turns into a high OBP, power hitting 3B. 

Second Base shouldn't be the only one catching some flack for this belief. I agree with most of what he wrote. 

Now, are my expectations tempered? Yes. So I rank him lower as a prospect than many others. But I do believe he still had the potential. It's just whether or not he can implement it all. 

What I would like to see with Maitan is a move to 1B. The bat will be the reason why he does or doesn't make it. Simplifying the defense, even with his arm, would be worth it if his bat can shine. 

Edited by Dave Saltzer

35 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Lower BA but more power than I expected. Just imagine when that BABIP goes up - he's going to be a beast.

Or that could, potentially, be his career average BABIP, number. Obviously, I would love for you to be right, AJ, but nothing is promised.

I really like the way our Top 30 is shaping up.  Looking at our top prospects from two years ago, our 30th ranked prospect was Garrett Stallings, a pitch to contact collegiate starter without a ton of projection.  The guys I'm looking at for #30 on my own private list includes guys like Michael Stefanic, someone tearing up AAA, and two projectable arms in Coleman Crow and Jose Salvador. 

But the real strength appears to be those guys in that 10-15 range.  My current list includes guys like Alexander Ramirez, Jack Kochanowicz, Ky Bush, Davis Daniel and Alejandro Hidalgo.  That's incredible, relatively speaking because among that group you're looking at raw physicality and upside in a young OF, as well as a crop of pitchers, all of whom may develop into a mid rotation starter or better.  That doesn't mean they will, but the fact that it's even a possibility is outrageous.

Now if we compare that to 10-15 from two years ago, you're looking at Kochanowicz before he'd ever thrown a professional pitch, Aaron Hernandez, D'Shawn Knowles, Hector Yan and Michael Hermosillo.  And to be honest, Hernandez and Knowles aren't in my top 30, Yan is still more than likely to be a reliever, and Hermosillo is still only a good 4th outfielder. 

I don't think the system is leaps and bounds better, but we're in a good spot, improving incrementally. 

On 7/23/2021 at 7:34 PM, Inside Pitch said:

That's likely more work than its worth anyway..  It's really not that hard to book hotels for 6 month blocks, especially in towns like Rat-piss Arkansas and the sort.  He'll, they could like find a way to turn it into an operating expense of some kind given all the bookkeeping games MLB plays.

tenor.png

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

he doesn't need impeccable command.  Detmers doesn't either but he needs it more than Rodriguez.  Rodriguez hasn't even shown a ton of control over the last few outings.  So for him it's gonna be about throwing strikes.  Detmers is (in my estimation) going to have some early trouble with the long ball because he throws so many strikes but is still ironing out his command.  

Early on

Rodriguez will be that guy who gives up 2-3 runs over 4 or 5 innings.  On 100 pitches.  You'll see a bunch of 3 pitch k's and 4 pitch walks.  

In three years when Trout is old and gray we'll talking about how we need to trade for offense because Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers and Rodriguez will be dominating and the 2021 draft will give us a crazy good pen.  Rendon will be past his prime and we'll have 37 yo Martin Maldonado behind the dish.  Minasian will trade for Jo Adell at the deadline and he'll help us win a WS....In 2024.  Trout's son will run on the field after the game 7 win in anaheim and hug him.  Everyone on this board will cry their eyes out.  And then a month later we'll bitch about Minasian's off season.     

And ill be wanting to kick whoever the manager is in the nuts as per usual.

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

Here's a comp for Chris Rodriguez at least at his current level, Ervin Santana. When he first came up, great fastball velocity and movement. Good slider, but couldn't get a third pitch over. Command was inconsistent. The end result was some starts of sheer brilliance, and others where he was clearly frustrated and so were the fans. 

But Ervin carved out a nice career for himself despite reliever concerns when he first came up. 

I was thinking the same thing

Every other start was good

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Early on

That sounds about right, re: Detmers and Rodriguez. Detmers might give up more HR, but I think he's just further along than C-Rod, not only in terms of inning count, but the whole rhythm of a start.

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Could be, could be.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is Oliver Ortega ready for MLB now?

He’s been dominant in AA since June 12.

17.1 innings, 2.16 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 23/3 Ks/BBs, 1 HR allowed 

In July, even better:

10 innings, 0.90 ERA and WHIP, 16/3 Ks/BBs

For relievers, there's no such thing as ready, to be honest. Guys that are dominant in the minors struggle in the majors, guys that have a bloated ERA in the minors come up and perform well. 

But yes, I believe that Oliver Ortega is ready for an audition, particularly in a bumper that's probably the worst I've ever seen.

32 minutes ago, Second Base said:

For relievers, there's no such thing as ready, to be honest. Guys that are dominant in the minors struggle in the majors, guys that have a bloated ERA in the minors come up and perform well. 

But yes, I believe that Oliver Ortega is ready for an audition, particularly in a bumper that's probably the worst I've ever seen.

Yes, I agree. I think we'll see guys like Ortega shortly after the deadline, especially if they don't bring in any relievers.

The next couple months could be a lot of fun, whether or not the Angels get hot. If they get hot, we get to hope for contention; if they don't, we get to see a string of prospects. Best-case scenario and its both.

17 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

How does Jhonathon Diaz 4 seamer rate?   He’s got good control and a nice looking slider, and appears to also be a GB inducing machine.

Another bullpen candidate to be promoted here in August?

Everyone who has a couple out pitches, induces GBs, and has command is a candidate.  The guys who lack command, but can do the other things and are left handed are too.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Everyone who has a couple out pitches, induces GBs, and has command is a candidate.  The guys who lack command, but can do the other things and are left handed are too.

The best thing going forward is to play for both this season and the future.

It’s time to partially drain the swamp, err bullpen NOW.

DFA Bundy, Guerra, and Cishek, after already DFA’ing Claudio.

Trade for a solid late innings guy.

Trade for a decent late innings guy.

Call up Ortega and Diaz.

Rest of the season:

Iglesias, acquisition, acquisition, Mayers, Watson, Ortega, Diaz, and Wantz