• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

The Angels have a lot of talent on the farm and I think that's going to be more evident to the pundits and skeptics as we get a few months into the minor league season.

We're also probably going to see a bunch of these guys traded at some point, especially the outfielders. Thankfully it is staggered: Adell and Marsh should be ready this year, Adams by 2022, Knowles by 2023, "Devo" by 2024, and Ramirez and Calabrese by 2025. So we probably won't "need" to trade any of these guys for a couple more years.

With Maddon saying that Rodriguez looks like Bp arm, or at the moment a long-reliever. What are your guys thoughts on this? 

Unless there is something that we don't know, I would rather have Rodriguez starting, especially if the plans are for him to be used as a Long-Reliever.

There is way more value in him starting than him being in the bullpen. The stuff is still eltie, which should allow him to start.   

8 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

With Maddon saying that Rodriguez looks like Bp arm, or at the moment a long-reliever. What are your guys thoughts on this? 

Unless there is something that we don't know, I would rather have Rodriguez starting, especially if the plans are for him to be used as a Long-Reliever.

There is way more value in him starting than him being in the bullpen. The stuff is still eltie, which should allow him to start.   

I think its short sighted, ignorant really.   But they arent stupid, they realize the pen looks iffy and he can be a piece there.  Denny Brady and Davis Daniels are likely also being eyed as potential RP, Brady because he's proven he can come out of then pen or start, and Daniels because he can dial it up and get outs just due to his arm.  Daniels had never pitched professionally before ST.

Whatever results in the big league team winning ball games. It doesn't completely close the door on Rodriguez starting in the future, it just means his return to the rotation will be contingent upon the Angels GM getting enough bullpen depth that they can absorb the temporary loss of Rod in the bullpen for the greater payout of him being a starting pitcher. 

Minasian didn't do enough in his first off-season to fix the bullpen, though he seemed to do a decent job everywhere else. Hopefully next year he will.

Edited by Second Base

Mlb and it's Bias. 

Mlb just released there top 30 ranking and we are yanked 25th!

https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/2021-farm-system-rankings.html?__twitter_impression=true

Somehow, the Yankees, with an 1h year that hasn't played a single game and a 25 Year old with Inn jury history and question marks on his ability to stay in a rotation are ranked 18. 

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Mlb and it's Bias. 

Mlb just released there top 30 ranking and we are yanked 25th!

https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/2021-farm-system-rankings.html?__twitter_impression=true

Somehow, the Yankees, with an 1h year that hasn't played a single game and a 25 Year old with Inn jury history and question marks on his ability to stay in a rotation are ranked 18. 

Yeah I wouldn't bother paying attention to those. I don't care what the ranking is, so long as the team is sufficiently supplied with talent. 

In the Angels case in particular, rankings mean next to nothing because of the number and quality of their post-prospect pieces still in AAA. Ward, Thaiss, Rengifo, Barreto, Adell, Rojas, Barria, Suarez, and Sandoval each have a future in the majors. Two of them should be solid regulars, one or two more should make decent back end starters and the rest hold value as upside utility players and bullpen pieces capable of going multiple innings.

But depth like that isn't taken into account on prospect lists. Then there is a bias to factor in, MLB particularly takes hype into account to compensate for a lack of shutting in comparison to other sites, so you'll see a ton of overhyped Red Sox and Yankees on the list. I would complain about the Dodgers of it weren't for the fact that all their prospects, hyped or otherwise seem to pan out. 

The systems I think you really have to look at as strong ones are the ones that produce useful players regardless of hype. Dodgers, Cardinals, Padres, Braves, Blue Jays, A's, Astros and Rays immediately come to mind. The Angels really scored with David Fletcher, and they could use a couple more positive outcomes like that. 

As far as overrated systems go, I'd say the White Sox, Mariners, Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Rockies and Rangers typically fall short of expectations on a continual basis. 

Just now, Second Base said:

Yeah I wouldn't bother paying attention to those. I don't care what the ranking is, so long as the team is sufficiently supplied with talent. 

In the Angels case in particular, rankings mean next to nothing because of the number and quality of their post-prospect pieces still in AAA. Ward, Thaiss, Rengifo, Barreto, Adell, Rojas, Barria, Suarez, and Sandoval each have a future in the majors. Two of them should be solid regulars, one or two more should make decent back end starters and the rest hold value as upside utility players and bullpen pieces capable of going multiple innings.

But depth like that isn't taken into account on prospect lists. Then there is a bias to factor in, MLB particularly takes hype into account to compensate for a lack of shutting in comparison to other sites, so you'll see a ton of overhyped Red Sox and Yankees on the list. I would complain about the Dodgers of it weren't for the fact that all their prospects, hyped or otherwise seem to pan out. 

The systems I think you really have to look at as strong ones are the ones that produce useful players regardless of hype. Dodgers, Cardinals, Padres, Braves, Blue Jays, A's, Astros and Rays immediately come to mind. The Angels really scored with David Fletcher, and they could use a couple more positive outcomes like that. 

As far as overrated systems go, I'd say the White Sox, Mariners, Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Rockies and Rangers typically fall short of expectations on a continual basis. 

The Red Sox are ranked 1 spot ahead of the Angels, and the Yankees are 18th.  Hardly proof of "bias."

Realistically, there's not much qualitative difference between a farm system ranking 18th, 24th, or 25th. 

8 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

The Red Sox are ranked 1 spot ahead of the Angels, and the Yankees are 18th.  Hardly proof of "bias."

Realistically, there's not much qualitative difference between a farm system ranking 18th, 24th, or 25th. 

I think he may mean in general. 

The Yankees press does a great job of hyping their prospects, they have had at least 15 or so next Mickey Mantles over the years -- recently it was Estevan Florial. 

The Mariners are another team that has always hyped their prospects a great deal - I think after the successes of Arod and Griffey it made them seem like this developmental powerhouse but really, they just had the first overall pick a lot.  They were ranked 2nd overall not long ago when they had the mighty Jesus Montero, Ackley, Saunders, Brad Miller, Danny Hulzton, Nick Franklin, Paxton etc etc...   The only one that actually amounted to much ended up being Paxton and he's never been able to stay healthy.   Another system that is often hyped up is Texas -- they tend to chase toolsy HS types like we have so, they have had a guys who looked amazing and were supposed to be awesome that just never made it.   Then you have the A's at the other end of the spectrum -- they don't really get talked about much but they consistently hit gold in Latin America and they have always done well when they drafted college bats...

IMO, the Red Sox system has mostly deserved it's hype when it's been good in recent years.   They ate up a lot of the Angels former scouts when JD cleaned house and then went on their run where they brought up JBJ, Betts, Devers, Bogaerts -- but they always seem to have an overrated catching prospect that's supposed to be the next Varitek or Stanley, or Pudge....

To your second point -- totally agree..  15th and 25th..  Not a lot of difference IMO

we were middle of the pack and had a top 5 prospect graduate from the system so I don't blame anyone ranking us in the mid 20's.  (still burns my ass that Adell isn't a prospect because he was stupidly called up)

the system is young with a lot of high upside but the only way you're gonna prove anything is to play and show that they're legit.  They didn't get a chance to do that so systems with top draft picks or ones that made trades get to pass us.  

But there's a difference between many of the other teams in the bottom tier and the Angels.   We could move up a ton in a very short period.  Maybe we don't, but the Angels have that potential way more so than most other clubs.  

I've never been more confident that the Angels are primed to make a huge jump if they get the chance to show their stuff.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

we were middle of the pack and had a top 5 prospect graduate from the system so I don't blame anyone ranking us in the mid 20's.  (still burns my ass that Adell isn't a prospect because he was stupidly called up)

the system is young with a lot of high upside but the only way you're gonna prove anything is to play and show that they're legit.  They didn't get a chance to do that so systems with top draft picks or ones that made trades get to pass us.  

But there's a difference between many of the other teams in the bottom tier and the Angels.   We could move up a ton in a very short period.  Maybe we don't, but the Angels have that potential way more so than most other clubs.  

I've never been more confident that the Angels are primed to make a huge jump if they get the chance to show their stuff.  

l definitely forgot to mention that. Eppler and Swanson really loved drafting and signing raw athletes with high upside. So the tendency here is that guys will go from relative obscurity (on a national scene, not here at AW), to prospect stardom in a short amount of time, and it'll seemingly come out of nowhere. 

A site like MLB.com scarcely knows who Arol Vera or Alex Ramirez are, and their memory of guys like D'Shawn Knowles and Trent Deveaux is hazy. There won't necessarily be a steady development for these guys. They may be nothing with watching, then all of a sudden they turn 21 and light the world on fire and jump up through three developmental levels in a single season. 

And the inverse of course is it never clicks. Ryan Bolden and Chevy Clarke. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

iirc, all three classifications start their season around May 1, and conclude the reg season near the end of September.

Yep, I believe this is correct.  I think May 4th is when most organizations start.  So a little over a month.  I'm so excited to see minor league baseball again, can't wait to watch our young guys playing again!

Not the Angels, BUT:

uQb9mDCy_x96.png

Minor league spring camp is officially underway! Pitchers and catchers report today and position players will report on April 11. Camp will break on May 1 with minor league seasons across the top four levels scheduled to start on May 4.